Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Kumho Ecsta MX

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho Ecsta MX

Anybody had these? gonna need tires here in a couple thousand miles..these are about 207 in the size im gonna get (looking for 275/35-18). I can get some T1R's for 190 a piece in this size of BFG KDW2's for 221 a piece. anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
Anybody had these? gonna need tires here in a couple thousand miles..these are about 207 in the size im gonna get (looking for 275/35-18). I can get some T1R's for 190 a piece in this size of BFG KDW2's for 221 a piece. anybody have any suggestions?

Get the vredestein ultrac sessanta. I had the khumos and while they weren't horrible, I wouldn't buy them again, nor recommend them to anyone. The rears lasted about 13K miles. To be more specific about the humos:
-HORRIBLE in wet/rain
-Marginal in sub 70 degree weather
-predictable in cornering, but if you break traction, you are free wheeling like you were running on slick ice.

I only have 50 miles on my vredesteins, but considering the conditions (very cold) and they are about $200/set cheaper than the khumos, you can't go wrong
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I think anyone would be hard pressed to give you tire advice without knowing what you intend to use them for. Are you going to be tracking, autoxing, daily driving, combination, etc?

Zivmans review is accurate from what I know of the MXs, but keep in mind they are an aggressive budget street tire. This translates into a soft compound, which will wear quickly but give you great dry grip. They arent going to be the best in terms of cold and wet weather performance either. Granted, I dont know much about the vredestein's, and in all fairness I have read nothing but positive reviews, but I can say that if I were to choose between the two I would go with the MXs just because I would be using them primarily for track and autox, with daily driver friendliness being low on my list of priorities. Also, I have seen how these tires stack up first hand and know they are capable tires in the right hands.

So, let us know how youre going to be driving and we can give you some better advice.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
ke0ki2k

DD during the summer months. Autox and mountain roads. I really like throwing the car through corners, hence the non-staggered fat setup. I'm on KDW's right now, theyre fairly soft and theyre gonna end up lasting about 14000 miles. I think one of the main reasons theyre wearing so fast is because theyre the version 1 tires with the sharp edges on the tread blocks and there are fairly wide channels for water, so when I throw it into the turns its just chewing up the sides of the tread blocks. I need something a little slicker without the extra wide water channels. a rubber compound thats a little harder or can withstand heat cycles a little better would be helpful too.

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 03-25-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Zivman

DD during the summer months. Autox and mountain roads. I really like throwing the car through corners, hence the non-staggered fat setup. I'm on KDW's right now, theyre fairly soft and theyre gonna end up lasting about 14000 miles. I think one of the main reasons theyre wearing so fast is because theyre the version 1 tires with the sharp edges on the tread blocks and there are fairly wide channels for water, so when I throw it into the turns its just chewing up the sides of the tread blocks. I need something a little slicker without the extra wide water channels. a rubber compound thats a little harder or can withstand heat cycles a little better would be helpful too.
if you are coming from kdws on a mainly street car I doubt you will be happy with the khumos.

The thing with the khumos is, on a FWD I really like them. I think the application is a big factor for them. On the Z, I was not happy with them at all. I only expected them to last 10K miles so in terms of durability, I had no issues with them. Keep in mind, I am running 500+ whp on my car so it might not be a direct comparison to what you run. that said, my use was comparable to what you stated.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
ke0ki2k

would you take T1R's over the Kumhos? or are the KDW2's worth the extra 130 dollars?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also check out the Sumitomo HTR Z III < not the II for a cheapy tire.

I also looked at the Khumos. a friend with a Z06 really likes them, but the price for these was better.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Zivman

would you take T1R's over the Kumhos? or are the KDW2's worth the extra 130 dollars?
The T1R's are decent tires for the money. Most complain of weak sidewalls on them. I wouldn't personally run the khumos again, so yes, I would run T1Rs over the khumos.
That said, the vredesteins were over $150/set less than I was quoted on the toyos when I preced them out. The vredesteins have a much stronger sidewall than the toyos as well.

When it came down to deciding on my setup, it was mainly between the KDW2 and the vredesteins. The vredesteins were much cheaper and the KDW2 is known to be a noisy tire so I chose the vredesteins.

I had them out today in 40 degree weather and they are holding decently. At this point, I am very happy with my decision
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
ke0ki2k

yeahhh ive just never heard of the company though...big selling point there lol.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Zivman

yeahhh ive just never heard of the company though...big selling point there lol.
Take a risk. These tires are getting good reviews from fellow Z owners.

TONS of info on them here
Old 03-26-2008, 02:59 PM
ke0ki2k

to be honest I might...cause Noah and USN are both pretty prominent members....and Corvette forums give pretty harsh reviews of equipment normally...hmmmmmm. whered you order them from?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I ran MX's for two years (autocross and DD). (4 sets)

I think they are great tires once you get them warm. They don't stick to well cold but the hotter they get the better they stick. My Azenis 615's get greasy when you run them hard for extended periods.

The main thing I did't like about the MX's was the required air pressure for good handling. They are kind of soft in the sidewall, so I ran them about 38-40 psi cold so they would heat up to 43-45 hot on hard drives. This took care of the mushy feel, but wore the center of the tire kind of fast.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a good buy. However, when I googled them maybe a year or two ago, the only thing that came up were Vredestrein bicycle tires so I passed.

Might have to try them in the future though.

Last edited by Sensi09; 03-26-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:27 PM
ke0ki2k

yeah they have a car and bicycle tire departments lol. directly from the company is 255 a piece....the other place I find is 170 a piece which is cheap but the 96 dollar shipping kinda offsets it. 770 overall
Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Zivman

to be honest I might...cause Noah and USN are both pretty prominent members....and Corvette forums give pretty harsh reviews of equipment normally...hmmmmmm. whered you order them from?
I bought them from AFS wheels

paid 745 shipped for 295/35/18 rears and 265/35/18 fronts
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
ke0ki2k

ya have any pics of the tires mounted on your car? the pic of the tires on their site look different than the ones on vredestein's site
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Zivman

ya have any pics of the tires mounted on your car? the pic of the tires on their site look different than the ones on vredestein's site
I don't really have any pics of my car with them

contact AFS through email via their site:
LINK

What are you looking to see in a pic?

these are pics from USN's car and look exactly like my tires:

Video on the vredesteins
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
ke0ki2k

thats what I was looking for lol
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Not to be superficial, but that Vredestein is one fugly tire!

Jokes aside, based on your criteria I would stay away from the MXs. They aren't going to last you near as long as the KDWs...for reference, my Azenis have lasted about 6k miles - rear is dead and front still has tread but in the rain are useless - this is with many autoxs and street driving. Since the MXs have similar treadwear rating, I wouldn't expect them to last much longer. All dependent on your driving habits of course. I hear it can get pretty cold in TN, and these type of tires tend to have horrible cold grip due largely to the soft compound.

My personal take (my driving habits and criteria for tire choice), I would chose the MX over the T1R and the Vredesteins. If I were to go with a less aggressive tire better suited to wet/cold traction and longer life, the KDW would be on my short list. If you're feeling saucy, go with the Vredesteins, test them out and post a review on the forum. Who knows, maybe I'll change my tune if I hear enough rave reviews (although I would be hard pressed to get over that sidewall and tread pattern
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Willie

eagle f1's

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta MX