Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
tripndesi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?

Zppl...

I've been searching many threads, researching the market place on my350z.com and there are just so many options / styles with wheels. While I am drooling over the Nismo 18" Silver wheels, the $1400 used price is a little steep for me. Buying brand new Nismo wheels is out of the picture. Please keep in mind I don't race, make major mods or enter shows/competition. I simply enjoy driving my Z as is. Tweaking the car here and there with some electronics is nice and it's on the plan.

The wheels below looked really good to me, and has the 5-star feel like the Nismos. These are going on a black 03 z.

Are these ok to buy? I've never bought ADR. I just like the simplicity of these wheels and the cost of 4 rims only shipped is $548.99.

I also like the 06 wheels as well, and that is also possible.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Mark

SPECIFICATIONS:

Model: ADR BATTLE EXE

Size: (2)18x8.5 Front - (2)18x9.5 Rear

Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

Offset: +35

Color: Silver W/Polished Lip

Quantity: A Set Of 4

Condition: New
Attached Thumbnails Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?-battlesilver-2.jpg   Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?-battlesilverb.jpg   Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?-battlesilverc.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Offset Is No Bueno
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
WyattH

They look okay. You'll definitely need a spacer. Very SSR GT3-ish.

FWIW, those Nismos you like are $1400 shipped NEW, not used.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save up and get the right shoes= satisfaction..
Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Offset Is No Bueno

+1
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
LaxDawg

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Save up and get the right shoes= satisfaction..
I agree, you will actually save money if you get the right wheels the first time. If you buy those with that offset they really won't look right. If you like the Nismo style wheel why not look at the Rota P45R? (click me!)
It offers the same style for half the price.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
shane23fisher

I bought the 19'' ADR M-Sport 8.5/9.5 +35

And everyone was talkin' down.......

http://superbuytires.com/gallery/vie.../M_Sport/9742/

read the "Rate These Fourm"...... posted a few days ago..... I have like untill Friday to decide if I wanna keep them....

I say good price... bad offset ... don't have to worry about replacement cost ... and you can save up Volks.... BBK.... or SSR ..... later when the car is no longer a daily driver.....

I like those though... The Battle Exe will allow visual of the break/rotor .... But... You are being a "cheapo"
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
VQ35DEchick

I think they look great, i like something with a lip personally. But here are pictures of my bfs Z and he has ADRs and love them! People only hate on them because they are "cheap wheels" But they look just as good as some volks just without the price!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
VQ35DEchick

These wheels look EXACTLY like the ones you have posted.. and guess what! They aren't ADRs. They are SSR GT3's which are very pricey. Same thing without the name! I say go for it and save some money!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the style and weight suit your needs, they are fine.

The problem is offset. You have been a member for too long for me to do the offset calculations for you.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I'd be concerned with is the weight of the wheels. Generally, cheaper wheels are heavier. If you can live with that, go for it. Offset can be corrected with a spacer.

It's funny how fashionable it is to just spend $3k on Volks on this forum. The truth is most that own Volks don't use them for what they're made for. There's lots of quality wheels for less. ADR is probably not a quality wheel but it's probably good enough for normal street driving.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
LaxDawg

Originally Posted by VQ35DEchick
I think they look great, i like something with a lip personally. But here are pictures of my bfs Z and he has ADRs and love them! People only hate on them because they are "cheap wheels" But they look just as good as some volks just without the price!
Originally Posted by shane23fisher
I say good price... bad offset ... don't have to worry about replacement cost ... and you can save up Volks.... BBK.... or SSR ..... later when the car is no longer a daily driver.....

I like those though... The Battle Exe will allow visual of the break/rotor .... But... You are being a "cheapo"
Originally Posted by VQ35DEchick
These wheels look EXACTLY like the ones you have posted.. and guess what! They aren't ADRs. They are SSR GT3's which are very pricey. Same thing without the name! I say go for it and save some money!
Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
It's funny how fashionable it is to just spend $3k on Volks on this forum. The truth is most that own Volks don't use them for what they're made for. There's lots of quality wheels for less. ADR is probably not a quality wheel but it's probably good enough for normal street driving.
I am all about saving money (who isn't?), but just remember, you get what you pay for. As some have said already, I would be weary of the weight/strength of the cheaper wheels. One pothole and you could have one or two bent wheels. I suggest you keep looking for a style you like and is offered in an offset that matches. I searched for wheels for months and finally came across a set of MINT used BBS RG-R's in the marketplace and only paid a fraction of the $1000 per wheel they are new. Have you tried looking for a set of used wheels? The style of those wheels are nice but look for something in the +25 to +15 offset and remember wider is better
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
VQ35DEchick

well not really. You shouldn't say things about different brand name of wheels unless you've owned them. My bf has the black ADRs on his Z and drives the dragon almost once a day, and his wheels are in mint condition. And has hit MANY pot holes. He bought the wheels planning on bending/ breaking, scratching, because he can replace the whole set for around the price of one or two volks. But they have been great and had no problems what so ever.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
tripndesi

thanks for the responses so far. I think I am going to go with these ADR's. I don't know what offset really is but I researched it and still don't understand it. I hate to admit but I don't know what a spacer is. Therefore, Volk's etc aren't for people like me. The person in who posted is correct. This is just plain old normal driving which doesn't require my car being abused. If someone has a better link or know a site that has good deals as such, please let me know.

If I proceed with this, will this look normal on my car? Is there anything I can do to help out my cause?

I've also looked at used wheels, and the 06 w/ tires for $1k is nice. But I haven't seen many deals in which the rims I like. I'm kind of picky.

I'm all green at this. Please advise

Last edited by tripndesi; 04-02-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
DMK

Get some Luff M1's. They actually look ok.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Don't do it!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The problem is offset. You have been a member for too long for me to do the offset calculations for you.

Note to self - make a new account when asking an offset question
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP....the higher the offset, the more your wheels are going to be tucked in.

That +35 offset on that 8.5 inch wheel is going to look terribly sunken in and you will hate yourself for it.

A normal width for the front tire would be 9.0 to 9.5 with offsets between +22 and +12. (the higher the offset, the skinnier the rim)

The rears are usually staggered (front wheels same, rear wheels wider) and usually have widths of 10.0 to 11.0 with a range of +25 to +17.

I'm telling you right now, you will regret buying those rims if you hang out on this site often. Offsets are like a disease, in that it festers.

(P.S.) You don't have to buy Volks to get a decent offset. Be patient, do some research, then make a decision. You will thank me later.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
LaxDawg

Originally Posted by tripndesi
thanks for the responses so far. I think I am going to go with these ADR's. I don't know what offset really is but I researched it and still don't understand it. I hate to admit but I don't know what a spacer is. Therefore, Volk's etc aren't for people like me. The person in who posted is correct. This is just plain old normal driving which doesn't require my car being abused. If someone has a better link or know a site that has good deals as such, please let me know.

If I proceed with this, will this look normal on my car? Is there anything I can do to help out my cause?

I've also looked at used wheels, and the 06 w/ tires for $1k is nice. But I haven't seen many deals in which the rims I like. I'm kind of picky.

I'm all green at this. Please advise
To make it simple, offset is the space between the center of the wheel and where the hub (lug nuts etc...) mounts up to the car. On the Z a normal offset falls into the +25 to +15 range making the wheels sit flush with the fenders. If you go with a higher offset the wheels will be tucked into the fenders and in all honesty look terrible. I have no problem with the wheels you found, I personally like them, but I would highly recommend a set with a better offset.

I'm not a wheel snob who thinks everyone should own Volks, GramLights or SSRs, but I do think offset is the most overlooked yet most important thing on a car.

ninja edit!

Last edited by LaxDawg; 04-02-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
Note to self - make a new account when asking an offset question
LOL. If a member has not figured out offset in 3 years they never will.

Quick Reply: Deciding on wheels. On a budget. Are these OK to get?