Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Spacers bad for car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
azula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
OK, Fine... Theoretically, a more aggressive offset will increase the load on wheel bearing and that can lead to increased heat, premature breakdown of lubricants, and possible premature wear of the bearings.

But the key is - by how much? Wheel bearings do not last forever - true.

There are more factors to wearing wheel bearings than changing the offset slightly - we are talking an inch or less normally here, not inches. So do you only get 95% of the life expectancy of your wheel bearings?

So the only important question is "Does increased offset _significatly_ reduce wheel bearing life?".

Other things that can possibly reduce wheel bearing life (Avoid these if you care):

- Increased rim width
- Increased tire width
- Stickier tire compound
- Braking (creates heat, reduces bearing lubrication life)
- Bumpy roads
- Aggressive driving
- increased Spring rate
- Increased Damping rate
- larger Sway bars
- Driver weight
- Passenger weight

- Stereo component weight for those that upgrade the stereo
- manufacturing tolerances in mechanicals and lubrication
- and the list goes on

Put 'Em on... Look good... Go drive your car...
lol, jenny craig?
Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 AM
azula

Originally Posted by Spike100
I cannot imagine how the minimal width of a 10-15mm spacer (only a fraction of an inch) would place enough additional stress on the Z’s suspension causing damage (unless of course, there was a poor mount or uneven spacer resulting in a “wobble”).

With this said, I also wonder why anyone would install a spacer instead of mounting a wheel with the desired offset (but, I’m sure someone will tell me).

--Spike

spike the reason why (this goes for me too) is because some people order factory offsets to avoid getting screwed with the wrong offsets. many wheel company's don't offer refunds on custom built wheels, so if you pick the wrong sizes....ur basically fuc*ed.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
cms-35z

Also, some cars do not have the option of a good offset without paying for very expensive custom wheels. My other car has a 5x100 bolt pattern and needs a 12et 17x9 in the rear. The closest wheel I was able to find was a 17x9 in a 38et, which works in the front, but I had to use a spacer in the rear.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
03aeroZ

So what is a safe offset for an 03 w/ stockers?
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spacers must be good for a car. Think of all the top end sports cars that come with spacers.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM
azula

^ good point
Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thr reason stock sports cars don't come with spacers is becasue I would hope whoever built my car got the wheel offset right the first time. That doesn't mean spacers are unsafe or are detrimental in some way.

There are good spacers that are hubecntric like Eibach and H&R. And there are bad spacers that are lugcentric like the junk on e-bay.

Unless your a race team and have a cutom wheel budget and deal with FIKSE, Foregeline, CCW etc... spacers will have to do for the rest of us.

JET
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run Project Kics with rings for daily driving, but remove them on the strip.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe this is the place to ask. I have a set of track rims and hate how they look. What do you think a good size to get?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Unitech car I bought my wheels from were running rather large spacers on their car without issue. There are plenty of professional drivers who run spacers as well. I guess ill wait for my car to explode!

Run spacers, but just so often check your wheel bearings, its easy, jack up the car, try to wiggle the tire back and forth, no wiggle? ok.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
TheShaddix

I have 10mm spacers all around (Eibach hubcentric with nismo 50mm studs). I couldn't ask for a better look, to be honest. Night and day difference. I run them with volk GTS wheels (9.5/10.5, offsets are 17 f. and 18 r.). They are perfectly flush with the fenders (even stick out slightly with a conservative drop). But I've had them for over 5 months and every day I wished they'd have lower offsets. My previous set was way more aggressive with crazy offsets, and when I got the GTS, it was a huge disappointment fitment-wise. Way weaker fitment, etc. Flush is not enough for some people. I like when i can see the tire and lip in my side view mirror. But that's just a style thing. Some like it, some don't. It adds a meaner look to the car, no doubt. However, most people get spacers because their wheels have too weak of an offset to begin with and they want to get them just flush enough for a decent look.

And as far as safety goes... I asked Rick at status about it. He said he had 15mm H&R spacers all around on his Z (with TE37 wheels and such), tracked and drifted his car no problem. He said the only way the studs break (or strip) is if you take them on and off too often. Other than that, no problem whatsoever. As long as you get hubcentric spacers from a known name, you'll be fine. And about the hub bearings and whatnot, they'll wear out eventually, spacer or no spacer.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 05-29-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Equinox

Originally Posted by davidv
Spacers must be good for a car. Think of all the top end sports cars that come with spacers.
Actually Porsche uses factory wheel spacers on some of their models. Off the top fo my head, the 993 Carrera S used a 31mm spacer from the factory. You can also buy Porsche OEM wheel spacers.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by BEbengali
In what situations are they breaking studs? During track/autocross events, or when removing/tightening/torquing the lug nuts? If the latter, do you know if they only daily driver their cars, or do they track/autocross as well?
I know people running near to 0 offset that drift/autocross/track and never broke a wheelstud. Long story short they prob arnt as good as runnign without but i think any extra wear will never be noticable.