Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel manufacturers to stay away from?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM
jcandas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel manufacturers to stay away from?

If you browse the wheel boards you have seen my efforts in trying to find a good wheel/tire fit.

I have decided to get some new wheels and wanted to know if there were specific manufacturers or dealers I should be wary of? On the flipside, who has had good experiences and with what manufacturer?

Also, does anyone have opinions on the best size wheel for 245/40 r18f 275/40 r18r? I was thinking 8.5/9 fronts and 9/10 rears.

All help appreciated.

So the List so far looks like:

Axis (Hiro get s multiple mentions)
Sevas (R55, this is a forged wheel, but someone said to stay away)
Motegi ( I liked the way the touge looked, but was told by a couple people they tend to break easy)
Rota (Both good and bad reviews. I have seen some nice looking wheels from them though)
Ruff

Last edited by jcandas; 06-03-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/181519-after-market-wheel-collection.html

and

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/254081-wheel-thread-index.html
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
moforeynolds

that's a very broad question. What is your budget?

As for dealers, we have a number of great sponsors on the site.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM
jcandas

I am not sure about my budget at this point. I guess it depends on the value I can get. Right now I am just looking for things to stay away from and possibly some good experiences.

For example I have been reading that Axis wheels have been known to break easily.

I doubt I will spend more than 1,500 or so, like I said, it would depend on the value.

Thanks z04, I already used one of your links : )

Last edited by jcandas; 05-21-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look for wheels with these certifications:

JWL (JAPAN LIGHT ALLOY WHEEL): The technical standard for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Passenger Car approved by Ministry of Transport (MOT)

VIA (VEHICLE INSPECTION ASSOCIATION) Registration System: VIA marking can only be engraved on the wheel is registered by Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council after strict quality tests by the authorized testing facility on the adaptability of JWL or JWL technical standard.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Axis wheelsare fine. There was a problem but that was an isolated incident.

JET
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 AM
jcandas

Originally Posted by davidv
Look for wheels with these certifications:

JWL (JAPAN LIGHT ALLOY WHEEL): The technical standard for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Passenger Car approved by Ministry of Transport (MOT)

VIA (VEHICLE INSPECTION ASSOCIATION) Registration System: VIA marking can only be engraved on the wheel is registered by Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council after strict quality tests by the authorized testing facility on the adaptability of JWL or JWL technical standard.
This will help a great deal, especially since there are so many wheel manufacturers to choose from out there and not much in the way of a rating system.

Thanks for the heads up on the AXIS wheels, I liked a couple of their styles but was worried about the strength and quality.

Keep the recommendations coming, always appreciate thchance to learn more : )
Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from the Axis Hiro and Sevas R55 for sure.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
moforeynolds

Originally Posted by jcandas
This will help a great deal, especially since there are so many wheel manufacturers to choose from out there and not much in the way of a rating system.

Thanks for the heads up on the AXIS wheels, I liked a couple of their styles but was worried about the strength and quality.

Keep the recommendations coming, always appreciate thchance to learn more : )
It's nice information, but not really "help a great deal". Most wheel manufacturers will have those certifications, especially those sold through any major retailer.

As for Axis...just because you read someone cracked one doesn't mean they are all piece of ****. I can show you plenty of broken HREs from the Viper forums; I remember one HRE mounted on a 911 GT3 that completely broke in two--nothing was left on the hub but 3" of wheel in any direction. That most certainly does not mean that all wheels are created equal, but it is important to understand that ALL wheels can be damaged with the right amount of stress--nevermind understanding the power of online complaints.

A $1500 budget affords a number mid-tier wheels. Gruppe-S is running a GB right now for some extremely attractive and aggressive Enkei RPF1s for $1200-$1600 shipped depending on rim size and finish. I don't want to turn this in to a self-promotion, but I personally have a set of new in-the-box 19x9.5/10.5 +22 Rays G-Games 99Bs for $1300 shipped. Well within your budget, very attractive wheels, and an extremely well-made, quality wheel.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
gldenchld

you cant just single out a wheel company, every production line has its faults, alot of problems with wheels has to do with the care and how they are kept and the abuse...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Just go to Sears, I heard they have a great selection of AR wheels!!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 AM
jcandas

I understand that abusing a wheel or subjecting it to undo force might have adverse effects.

I am sure there are wheels or manufacturers out there that have it happen more often than others. Since money is always at a premium, and safety is a great concern, I don't want to find out the hard way about a certain brand of wheel. Remember that I drive a roadster and any sort of accident due to wheel failure is a bit scarier without a hard top

I Have heard that Motegi is another brand that is not very reliable, and that Rota shouldn't be a first choice either.

So far I have heard bad things about:

Axis (also got an OK on these)
Motegi
Rota

So how about TSW or OZ?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM
will350z

Also given your budget, please check out the forum classifieds too... Always a few good deals on there...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by jcandas
I understand that abusing a wheel or subjecting it to undo force might have adverse effects.

I am sure there are wheels or manufacturers out there that have it happen more often than others. Since money is always at a premium, and safety is a great concern, I don't want to find out the hard way about a certain brand of wheel. Remember that I drive a roadster and any sort of accident due to wheel failure is a bit scarier without a hard top

I Have heard that Motegi is another brand that is not very reliable, and that Rota shouldn't be a first choice either.

So far I have heard bad things about:

Axis (also got an OK on these)
Motegi
Rota

So how about TSW or OZ?

You're gonna hear negative things about pretty much every brand because there's gonna always be that small group of people who are haters or can't be satisfied. Well if you you look around this site you'll find many who praise Rota and have had great success with this brand. I didn't even know about Rota until I made a similar topic like this a couple of months ago and having done searches on here, chicagoz, and 350zmotoring I've heard mostly good things about Rota. I was gonna go with Rota myself but they don't currently make 19s.

I've done research on Motegi too and from what I learned they are a reasonable entry level wheel. At one point I was looking at the Motegi Touge and met another Z driver who has that rim and they look great in person.

If you do a search on TSW you'll see a ton of members who have that brand too and like them.

I've learned that alot of people on here are gonna bash a rim just because it isn't Volk. There are plenty of good rim manufacturers out there, they might not be Volk quality or forged but that doesn't make it a bad rim.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
jcandas

Your are absolutely right about bashing, everyone is going to have their favorites. That is why it I like to hear about personal experiences with wheels since you get better information that way.

Like "I broke my rr wheel when I was drifting" vs. "this one time, at band camp someone told me volks suck"

So I take whatever I read here with some skepticism, but it is still the best source of information that I have found yet.

I will re-look at Rota, as I saw some nice looking wheels. The Rays g-games wheels are so sweet, however I need 18s, not 19s.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
10 TIL 4

Stay away from ICW. (I Couldn't Wait) wheels .
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
twitch579

Ruff.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
DozJr7

Originally Posted by 10 TIL 4
Stay away from ICW. (I Couldn't Wait) wheels .

+1
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

For Zs, I would stay away from Lowenharts or Mayas? lol
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
jcandas

Updated list...

Quick Reply: Wheel manufacturers to stay away from?