Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Best light weight rims for the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Buellxb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the really thorough explanation Z1Performance! I did mention that I wanted 18" wheels. No budget means no budget. I would consider paying $4k per wheel if they were extremely bad a$$. I make really good money and chose a lightly used Z over a new BMW 645ci so that I could go crazy with mods and have fun with the build.

Are any of the mentioned rims under 18 lbs each? It would probably take a couple hours to look up all of those rims if I was on a role.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Z_Nick_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enkei RPF1....period
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

many of the ones listed are under close, at or under 18 lbs - again, depends on the width you choose as well as the offset
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Jdmtight975

Originally Posted by Zippy_z
Enkei RPF1....period

black ones are the sex..i think there is actually a set for sale in the classifieds..check it out..and yea if you visit this site,expect those first few responses...there seems to be no respect here
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Moroccan_Mole

price is no object = dymag.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moroccan_Mole
price is no object = dymag.
another good option yes - black card territory though
Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
1M0RLAP

If you want the very lightest then get the new WedSport full CF wheel. 6lbs per wheel. $10K set.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Moroccan_Mole

Originally Posted by 1M0RLAP
If you want the very lightest then get the new WedSport full CF wheel. 6lbs per wheel. $10K set.
as far as i know they aren't in production yet? there is just the 1 prototype set
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Buellxb

thanks for all the help. It looks like 18 lbs is the norm for light rims. I'm going to check out the dynmags and those prototype cfs.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you really considering dymags? Brand new, they're 8-10K a set for 19s. You could maybe go FI with that money. Definitely not bang for the buck which it seems like you're going for.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Buellxb
thanks for all the help. It looks like 18 lbs is the norm for light rims. I'm going to check out the dynmags and those prototype cfs.
Why?

You keep mentioning "Rota" of all companies and now your talking about checking out dymags?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the really thorough explanation Z1Performance! I did mention that I wanted 18" wheels. No budget means no budget. I would consider paying $4k per wheel if they were extremely bad a$$. I make really good money and chose a lightly used Z over a new BMW 645ci so that I could go crazy with mods and have fun with the build.

Are any of the mentioned rims under 18 lbs each? It would probably take a couple hours to look up all of those rims if I was on a role.
Get the Wedsport Carbon fiber wheels. They are $3000 ea. 6lbs per wheel.

Post pics when you get them on.

End of thread. Mod can close this now.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
You sorta have to expect that when you ask a pretty generic question. Again, there are a ton of forged wheels, not quite as many magnesium ones. When you say you have no budget, what does that mean? $1500 a wheel? $600 a wheel? $350 a wheel? Do you want an aggressive fitment or a conservative one? What tires are you going to be using? Obviously a light weight is a great, but a light wheel with a heavy tire is a bit counterproductive. What size do you want? 17? 18? 19? 20? - weight will oviously be tied to all these particulars, which really is something you have to prioritize for yourself.

Here is a general list - when I refer to inexpensive, more expensive, and expensive, I am speaking relative to my definitions - your definitions may vary.

Lightweight wheels that are inexpensive (cast) - Enkei RPF1, Enkei NT03+M, 5Zigen FN01RC Hot Version. Price range under $1500

Lightweight wheels, mid priced - AME FS01, AME TM02, Advan RZ, Advan RGII, Advan RS, SSR Type C RS, SSR Type F, BBS RE, Gam Light 57 Maximum, Gram Light 57 Optomise. Price range ~$1800 and up depending on size and spec

Lightweight wheels (some forged, some cast), more expensive than category 2 - Volk TE37, Volk CE28, Volk RE30, Advan F7, BBS RS-GT, BBS RG-R, NISMO LMGT-4, Enkei RPF1 RC, Enkei RP03 RC, INGS TS06, Prodrive GC010, Prodrive GC06, CCW (various). Price range ~$2500 and up depending on size/spec

Lighweight wheels (forged) - expensive - Volk TE37 Magnesium, BBS Forged Magnesium, BBS Forged RE, Kinesis (various), Fikse (various). Price range ~$4000 and up depending on size and spec

Very nice of ya.. And a good list of wheels..
Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Concave
Banned

Gram Lights
btw that was a rough first page, i felt like i walked into a gay bar while a cat fight was going on.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 PM
2fast4ya

i am curious about your motive regarding needing such light wheels,
are you looking to do track events? or just improve your acceleration
and cornering for daily driving.

if you are a total baller-then be my guest and spend as much as you
want, but if you want to spend on multiple enhancements you need
to think out a plan step by step toward a completed project that flows
together and does not look like crap.

figure out your goals regarding looks(race inspired, baller, or tastefully
modded)performance(NA or FI), and ICE(audio, video, seats, safety
equipment, or other useless crap some guys install or do)

i know i focus on performance and track related stuff with a hint of
tastefully modded but your opinion may be different

regarding wheels i have the 5zigens that were mentioned earlier-mine
are very light-saved over 40lbs total over stock GT wheels on my 06
plus certain tires are much lighter as well-i have had good luck
looking up weights at edgeracing.com a lot of brands are listed
there

most rota wheels in the 18 inch size have been mentioned on here a
bunch of times and were all around 21-22 lbs each
Old 09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Buellxb

I really like those CF rims. I want serious performance out of my Z, but I do not plan on adding a turbo or supercharger. At most I plan to add an intake and catback exhaust. Weight reductions, keeping balance in mind, are going to be my main priority. I had a lot of fun improving my Civic Si in this fashion and now I want to try it on a serious sports car.

Reducing unsprung weight and rotating mass is my first mission. I was at first planning on getting a lighter drive shaft, but as I've learned on another thread the Z may already have a cf driveshaft. After tires and rims I will focus on cf doors and hood. A good catback will also take off some dead weight. CF front and rear fenders would be next. I will paint all the CF aside from a few accents for the naysayers. I love the look of the Z in its natural state.

Maybe I'm different than most on this forum, but it's my style.

After all that I plan on focusing on downforce with a front lip spoiler, custom under-body covering to lead back to a rear underbody diffuser to reduce turbulence an increase downforce.

Who knows where it goes from there. I will post pics as I mod as long as I find a community that will help and may need my help.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

. I want serious performance out of my Z, but I do not plan on adding a turbo or supercharger.

At most I plan to add an intake and catback exhaust.

Lmao at you thinking you're going to get serious performance out of those 2 mods. This isn't a civic bud.

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 09-10-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Buellxb

Two mods? What are you talking about? You must be some sort of amateur, seriously?!?!

You must have no clue what weight reductions, specifically in the drivetrain, can do to your track times, 1/4 times, 0-60, etc.

HP per pound is what it's all about. It's amazing that your have over 4,500 posts and you're no smarter than that.

I learned a lot from messing with my past cars. You can learn just as much tuning and modding a Civic Si as you can a Z.

There seem to be some cool people here, some mature, intelligent people, but I guess the good comes with the bad.

I'm picturing a dumb a$$ kid, maybe far too old to still be living at home, or his rent is being paid by his parents. Obviously someone that didn't have to earn their way into a Z. What did you do? Chores? Mow the grass? Maybe you have some fat old lady with three kids from different fathers that is also paying all the bills and paid for you car.

Last edited by Buellxb; 09-10-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two mods? What are you talking about? You must be some sort of amateur, seriously?!?!

You must have no clue what weight reductions, specifically in the drivetrain, can do to your track times, 1/4 times, 0-60, etc.

HP per pound is what it's all about. It's amazing that your have over 4,500 posts and you're no smarter than that.

I learned a lot from messing with my past cars. You can learn just as much tuning and modding a Civic Si as you can a Z.

There seem to be some cool people here, some mature, intelligent people, but I guess the good comes with the bad.

I'm picturing a dumb a$$ kid, maybe far too old to still be living at home, or his rent is being paid by his parents. Obviously someone that didn't have to earn their way into a Z. What did you do? Chores? Mow the grass? Maybe you have some fat old lady with three kids from different fathers that is also paying all the bills and paid for you car.

Don't get defensive chief, it's the first sign of weakness. I'm tame compared to what the rest of these guys are going to do to you if you keep up this noob bullchit. What you're trying to do has been done a million times before and unless you plan on gutting your interior (ac, stereo, the whole nine) you are only going to see minimal gains. Don't make me skull fk you boy, learn some chit before you start talking it......

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 09-10-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Buellxb

I talk it til it's talked to me. I'm new to this forum, but I've been on forums since there were forums. I own and run several. I've never raced professionally or semi-professionally, but I've been modifying my own cars since 1996.

There will be far more than minimal gains from the weight reductions I've mentioned. I read an entire review in 2003 when Sport Compact mag did nothing but remove weight on the Z. The test results were amazing until the final stages when the handling was affected by destroying the weight distribution and to an extreme it became harder to get the rear wheels to get solid traction on launches.

Two light weight mods, as I stated before, made an extremely noticeable difference on my Civic Si. The laws of physics don't change for the Z.

Quick Reply: Best light weight rims for the Z?