Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPMS idea for an ambitious electrical engineer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
cbeneke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS idea for an ambitious electrical engineer

I was just reading through some threads about the TPMS and thinking to myself "This system could have been designed much better". If Nissan or someone else could just clone the identification signal coming out of the stock TPMS sensors in each wheel and program the same signal into a second transmitter, you could have two sets of wheels each with their own set of TPMS sensors and no warning light/annoying beep. (Run-on sentence in 3...2...1) Now I'm not an electrical engineer or anything, and I know that it wouldn't be easy to engineer an aftermarket method for doing this (if it was even possible at all), but I think that if someone were able to pull this off at a competitive price, there would be quite a few buyers who wouldn't want to go through the hassle of purchasing a new set of TPMS sensors and paying Nissan reprogram their car each year when they switch back and forth between winter rims and summer rims. (I DD in the Northeast)
Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
(>")> g35

I believe the sensors use RFID, cloning might be possible, but it either won't be very easy or cost effective for the DIYer. You can purpose a network of dealers that would offer this service, but the issue becomes whether or not this would prove to be a worth while investment on the developer and dealers side. That answer would be no. The real problem is Nissan's hardware. It only allows for 4 manually programmed sensors at a time. Look at the acura TL, their system will take any oem TPMS sensor because the car has the ability to program in the new sensors itself.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 AM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The equipment required to work with this frequency of RF is out of the range of most DIYers.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2003 Z TPMS provides tire pressures discretely displayed, as opposed to current 2007-2008 Zs that only trigger a low pressure light. IIRC, the upcoming 370Z system does have a smart TPMS that has a memory that retains the signals of two different signal sets to facilitate winter/summer, oh excuse me - track/street wheel changeouts.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 AM
cbeneke

Wishful thinking I guess
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
SlowInFastOut

Originally Posted by ChinaClipper
IIRC, the upcoming 370Z system does have a smart TPMS that has a memory that retains the signals of two different signal sets to facilitate winter/summer, oh excuse me - track/street wheel changeouts.
it's nice but I wonder why not three? I could easily see one would want 3 sets: summer street, winter, racing.