Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Some questions after i put on my volks wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deyj28
All I can say is wow! You spend the extra money to buy a nismo version, put rotas on it and slap volk stickers on...WTF
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Simann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I would like to thank Dan at Wheeldude.com for the very good set of wheels these are. They definitely are beyond my expectations in quality and looks.

Without a doubt I have spent more money on cars within the past 6 years of my life than most of you will in your lifetime. I have owned many, and I emphasize MANY sets of wheels in my day on various cars of mine. Starting off when I bought a Civic Si back when those were cool (holds breath). I bought it off the showroom floor with aftermarket Motegi branded wheels. Needless to say, 1 month after driving, the clear coat on the rim lips was wearing off. One by one the wheels were replaced under the dealer warranty. I sold the cheapo Motegi wheels and placed a brand new set of 16" BBS wheels. I drove on those for years, I grew in the car community and was ready for more power and more of a challenge.

Next car was my Supra Turbo. I sank over $21K into it in the first year of ownership. No expense was spared but the thickness of my wallet. From the Tein RA (JDM spec, not sold in US) to the first set of "used" but new condition TOM'S C7R wheels in the USA. They were made by, VOLK racing.
Second set of wheels on the car was an ultra rare, and quite very expensive, set of SSR Vienna wheels.

To the next car, my 2003 350z roadster. Over $27,000 was spent on the car. I purchased the first set of Work VS-TX wheels in the USA from Final Stage Auto in Florida (I now know that the company is no longer in business). It took approximately 3.5 months for them to get to me. Very long wait for a very pretty set of wheels.
Ironically enough, I went to have new tires put on, and the local shop who I went to do the work damaged the front right rim lip. Now mind you, I purchased these wheels for right at $4,000. Full custom order.
When I called WORK wheels USA, I was informed that upon my order, I was told that the wheels were a "true 3 piece forged design". Well, I could order a new rim lip, however, they told me my wheels were NOT a 3 piece design, but in fact a 2 piece design seam welded together with a modular "forged" center. Now, would that make anyone mad here?

If you want to argue the structural integrity of the wheel, go right ahead. I have many an hour in engineering books to argue validated points right back about the strength of any forged vs. non-forging process single piece cast wheel. Needless to say, most of you would not see past the first page. But would look no further but a name.

And to note, I have a set of RAYS valve stems on the wheels, so yes, I am entitled to run a sticker or two as I support the companies products, and many thousands of my dollars in the past have I invested in Work, Volk, BBS, and SSR.

And in the end, I am a very proud owner of a 2008 NISMO edition 350Z. Its a great car, and a great bang for the buck as it absolutely astounds everyone that drives it, as how much improved it is over the stock 350Z platform (DE and HR chassis configuration). However, the stock wheels never impressed me. I did not care that they had a "VOLK-Rays Eng." logo stamped into the rim face. I quite frankly do not care about the 18/19" staggered configuration as the performance gain was marginal at best.

I did my research, and wanted to keep a single piece wheel as it not only looked good to me, but had the structural benefits and the ride quality that I wanted to keep. I was full ready to drop the money again for a set of Greddy Gravity Gullflame or Gram Lights 57's, when these caught my attention.
After giving them a shot, I am nothing but pleased with the wheels. The ride quality is much improved both in city commuting and spirited driving.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 PM
coolblue830

Wait did you honestly argue that it's cool to put Volk stickers on non-volk wheels because you have Ray valvestems? I mean bottomline is whatever, it's your car, you can do anything you want with it, but then again on the flipside, people can say whatever they want about it too. I don't think your story of your past is going to change many people's minds about how they feel about those stickers.

That's like me saying I have a nismo Z because I have their B pillar overlays.. but whatever, your car, your decision. But don't expect to get props either when people find out those aren't volks underneath those stickers.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Simann

Originally Posted by coolblue830
Wait did you honestly argue that it's cool to put Volk stickers on non-volk wheels because you have Ray valvestems? I mean bottomline is whatever, it's your car, you can do anything you want with it, but then again on the flipside, people can say whatever they want about it too. I don't think your story of your past is going to change many people's minds about how they feel about those stickers.

That's like me saying I have a nismo Z because I have their B pillar overlays.. but whatever, your car, your decision. But don't expect to get props either when people find out those aren't volks underneath those stickers.

I never asked for "props", I never will. I do not live vicariously through my car. And given some of the posts I have read, some of you need to really get a life. Its all just metal "under those stickers".
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
coolblue830

Lol you know someone's really hurt over losing an argument over the internet when they pull the 'get a life' card on you.

Like I said, it's your car, do whatever you want with it. Sorry if you are getting worked up over some negative comments on what you choose to do with it though. It's ironic that you're the one writing multiparagraph replies late at night on this forum then go back and tell people to get a life...

People are going to have opinions, deal with it.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Simann

Originally Posted by coolblue830
Lol you know someone's really hurt over losing an argument over the internet when they pull the 'get a life' card on you.

Like I said, it's your car, do whatever you want with it. Sorry if you are getting worked up over some negative comments on what you choose to do with it though. It's ironic that you're the one writing multiparagraph replies late at night on this forum then go back and tell people to get a life...

People are going to have opinions, deal with it.

Justification and clarification is warranted here as there seems to be a little confusion about the matter. Evidently people like yourself like to run with topics even though you may be either misinformed or just assuming.
I never claimed them to be "Volk" branded wheels. Matter of fact, at the last local car meet, I proudly admitted that they were in fact close resembling Rota GRID's. Many people were surprised not only at the quality of the wheel, but the fitment and overall look on the car.

And as for the lengthy fun-facts post above about my various wheel brand experiences, that did not take long to type. I actually had fun reminiscing about all my old car memories.

PS: As for your jab about being up "late", there are things called TIME ZONES. I suggest you educate yourself a little before making further assumptions.

Cheers!

Last edited by Simann; 12-28-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 AM
coolblue830

Originally Posted by Simann
Justification and clarification is warranted here as there seems to be a little confusion about the matter. Evidently people like yourself like to run with topics even though you may be either misinformed or just assuming.
I never claimed them to be "Volk" branded wheels. Matter of fact, at the last local car meet, I proudly admitted that they were in fact close resembling Rota GRID's. Many people were surprised not only at the quality of the wheel, but the fitment and overall look on the car.

And as for the lengthy fun-facts post above about my various wheel brand experiences, that did not take long to type. I actually had fun reminiscing about all my old car memories.

PS: As for your jab about being up "late", there are things called TIME ZONES. I suggest you educate yourself a little before making further assumptions.

Cheers!
I'm well acquainted with the concept of time zones, thank you. If you are in Tennessee as your avatar says, you are either in EST or CST, depending on if you are in Eastern or Western Tennessee respectively which means the time in which you posted your first lengthy reply, it was already past 3am, hence my comment on the irony of your "jab" at everyone to get a life.

And again, as I've said multiple times, it's your car, do what you want. No one is really making this a big deal except for you. In fact most are content to just post a smiley shaking their head or a simple one line comment. You're the one writing a novel about it trying to justify yourself.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by Chebosto
the wheel look might be good on the car, however placing Volk / Rays stickers on a Non-Volk / Rays wheels is frowned upon.
Sounds like a political issue...

How about Nismo stickers? lol
Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 AM
phorbo007

Putting Volk stickers on Rotas is just retarded. And justifying it based on having Volk valvestems and owned/support Volks in the past is hilarious. If that was the case you could've just put a big Volk decal on your windshield or something instead.

I have nothing against Rota, in fact owned them in the past, but trying to pose as if you owned Volks with those stickers is just wrong. You fool only the people who don't ask about them.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
djnc

volk stickers on rotas is the most epic fial ever
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 AM
haeshik

Originally Posted by djnc
volk stickers on rotas is the most epic fial ever
Old 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM
wyoz

Wow - all over a sticker. I bought a Stillen front license plate bracket and put the little included Stillen sticker across the front strut tower brace in the engine bay - made the car faster!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats the most riced out NISMO i've ever seen. Who buys a $40K Z and throws Rotas on it lol? And on top of that, puts Fake Volk wheels on and puts ACTUAL VOLK STICKERS ON THEM LOL!?!?!?!?!?! That takes the cake for the most riced out nismo on the market. Nice! Guess you gotta fake it till you make it but damn man thats takes some *****. I'm gonna go put Ferrari stickers on my car cause i've driven a Ferrari before.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phorbo007
Putting Volk stickers on Rotas is just retarded. And justifying it based on having Volk valvestems and owned/support Volks in the past is hilarious. If that was the case you could've just put a big Volk decal on your windshield or something instead.

I have nothing against Rota, in fact owned them in the past, but trying to pose as if you owned Volks with those stickers is just wrong. You fool only the people who don't ask about them.

+1, i have zero problems with rota or rota owners in general. i do have a problem with rota owners who bag on volk owners saying that volk owners paid 4k for their wheels, which isnt true ive seen them on sale for $1800, and that their rota's are just as good of a wheel at a quarter of the price. know your place, enjoy what you bought, no reason to bag on volk owners or any other high end wheel owner to make yourself feel better.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

who cares? the "style" of the stickers make them look better. I can't think of another sticker set up that would give it the look without buying the actual volks.

the owner is happy and that's all that really matters.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 AM
djnc

Originally Posted by Entaille
who cares? the "style" of the stickers make them look better. I can't think of another sticker set up that would give it the look without buying the actual volks.

the owner is happy and that's all that really matters.
you probably think GT-R stickers look cool on mustangs
Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Simann

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Thats the most riced out NISMO i've ever seen. Who buys a $40K Z and throws Rotas on it lol? And on top of that, puts Fake Volk wheels on and puts ACTUAL VOLK STICKERS ON THEM LOL!?!?!?!?!?! That takes the cake for the most riced out nismo on the market. Nice! Guess you gotta fake it till you make it but damn man thats takes some *****. I'm gonna go put Ferrari stickers on my car cause i've driven a Ferrari before.

Volk Ce28N Time Attacks, 20% tint, shaved 350z lettering, VIS Carbon Fiber hood, D2 Racing full coil-over suspension, clear reflectors. Much more to come.
-Since when did VIS make high end "JDM" carbon hoods?
-Since when did D2 coil-overs become "high end"?
-Since when did "clear reflectors" become "JDM"?
-Your Seibon CW style lip, oh wait, is that a RIP OFF of the C-WEST body kit? https://my350z.com/forum/media-share...new-setup.html

Furthermore, I find it hilarious that you buy useless carbon body panals of borderline quality and rip off design, clear (euro?) reflectors, and cheap coil-overs, and you did not upgrade the anemic stock brakes at the least?

Seriously...
Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Simann
-Since when did VIS make high end "JDM" carbon hoods?
-Since when did D2 coil-overs become "high end"?
-Since when did "clear reflectors" become "JDM"?
-Your Seibon CW style lip, oh wait, is that a RIP OFF of the C-WEST body kit? https://my350z.com/forum/media-share...new-setup.html

Furthermore, I find it hilarious that you buy useless carbon body panals of borderline quality and rip off design, clear (euro?) reflectors, and cheap coil-overs, and you did not upgrade the anemic stock brakes at the least?

Seriously...
no one is saying your rims are bad. I think they look great on your car.
people are talking about the stickers you put on there. Obviously rota makes replicas of rays wheels so putting rays/volk sticker on it is pretty bad.

No point for jumping on Bumpinjeep. even though he has replica parts, he didn't put original brand stickers on them. It's a bit of posing if you asked me.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
dnoval33510

It's a Nismo. If you wanted the VOLK sticker you should have stuck them on the factory wheels. At least they are made by the same company. Maybe I should claim my X-02 exhaust is really the HKS?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Simann

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
no one is saying your rims are bad. I think they look great on your car.
people are talking about the stickers you put on there. Obviously rota makes replicas of rays wheels so putting rays/volk sticker on it is pretty bad.

No point for jumping on Bumpinjeep. even though he has replica parts, he didn't put original brand stickers on them. It's a bit of posing if you asked me.

Your looking at this from the wrong angle. The kid called my car "riced out".....though he is the one with the faux C-West body kit, clear "euro" blinkers, and el' cheapo D-2 coil-overs.

And for the record, funny to say, how do any of you know that I did not just buy the Rota's for daily driving and the TE37's exactly alike for car shows?

Assumptions are a real bite in the butt when your wrong.

Quick Reply: Some questions after i put on my volks wheels