Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Hub Adapters and Wheel Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:15 PM
koba8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub Adapters and Wheel Fitment

For all of you wheel experts out there, I have a question. First of all, when a wheel is custom made for a specific car, such as HREs or IForged for the Z, is the center of the wheel machined to fit specifically the hub of that vehicle?

For example, I believe the hub diameter of the Z is 65mm, or somewhere around there. Does that mean that if I had custom made wheels and I wanted to mount them on a different vehicle with, lets say, a 72mm I inherently couldn't? I'm aware that hubcentric adapters are made for a bigger to smaller fit (i.e. wheels made for a 72mm hub to fit on a 65mm hub), but are rings also made the other way around?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:09 AM
Audito350Z

Most high-end custom wheels like HRE, Kinesis, Fikse and Forgeline (to name just a few) are "hub-centric". This means, they are specific the vehicle foir which they were designed.

There's a whole lot more to consider when you want to swap wheels from one car to another. Fist, is the bolt pattern, known as "PCD" the same? On the 350Z it's 5x114.3. Is the offset compatible with the other vehicle? Is there enough backspacing to clear the brakes?

The mass-produced wheels get around the hub-centering issue by making all of their wheels with a really big opening, then provided snap-in rings the fit the various applications.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 08-27-2003, 07:33 AM
2003z

iforged wheels are not hubcentric. I got snap in rings from intro wheels, (the real manufacturer) for free, when my tire shop didnt have any in stock to fit.