Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

4 TPMS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 TPMS questions

I've read the FAQ. I've searched. I've read through most of the threads I could fine back to 2005. I understand how and why TPMS works. There are still a couple of things that are not clear to me.

This was from a couple weeks ago, maybe jining can answer the questions...

Originally Posted by jining
Hmm they have to call tech line because they cant figure out how to reset them? Thats odd... I reprogram TPMS @ the nissan dealer I work for all the time and we never have had that problem. Perhaps since they are from a 2008 they may need to use the consult 3... but yours is an 06 so the consult 2 should work just fine. Weird.
1) If the TPMS warning light goes on permanently, does it reset by itself when the sensors are replaced/repaired or the tire pressure is corrected? From what I read, it sounds like it doesn't but I'm not sure.

2) If the TPMS doesn't reset itself, is there a difference between "reprogramming" the TPMS system and "resetting" the system? I know what each would accomplish, I just don't know if the same process is used to do it.

3) I've heard that Discount Tire can reset the TPMS (not reprogram). Is this true?

4) One person thought that leaving the key in the Acc position for 10 minutes or so would reset the TPMS warning light. Is this actually true?

I'm considering getting some stock touring rims to put on my '06 GT to use with All-season tires for winter driving. I might also put some race tires on them for Auto-x in the distant future. What I'm trying to figure out is how to inexpensively reset the TPMS warning light after I put the original wheels with the sensors back on the car.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
1) If the TPMS warning light goes on permanently, does it reset by itself when the sensors are replaced/repaired or the tire pressure is corrected? From what I read, it sounds like it doesn't but I'm not sure.

2) If the TPMS doesn't reset itself, is there a difference between "reprogramming" the TPMS system and "resetting" the system? I know what each would accomplish, I just don't know if the same process is used to do it.

3) I've heard that Discount Tire can reset the TPMS (not reprogram). Is this true?

4) One person thought that leaving the key in the Acc position for 10 minutes or so would reset the TPMS warning light. Is this actually true?

I'm considering getting some stock touring rims to put on my '06 GT to use with All-season tires for winter driving. I might also put some race tires on them for Auto-x in the distant future. What I'm trying to figure out is how to inexpensively reset the TPMS warning light after I put the original wheels with the sensors back on the car.
1) It's not "permanent". It stays on until you turn the car off then it's off. Once you put the sensors back on the car or fix the pressure, then it never comes on again.

2) The warning does reset itself. "Resetting" the sensors are like rebooting the system. "Reprogramming" is a different more complex operation, like reconfiguring the software as opposed to rebooting.

3) Yes, a lot of tire shops have a tool that resets the sensors. Very few places outside of a Nissan dealership have Consult II which is necessary to reprogram them. (Actually, you reprogram the car, not the sensors).

4) I've seen it claimed and others said they were going to try it but haven't noticed any of them posting back to say if it worked.

Basically, the answer to your question is - don't worry about the TPMS warning when you don't have your regular wheels on. I have a second set for track/autocross and the warning comes on when driving to/from events. Once I swap back to my street setup, no more warnings.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 AM
dhays

Default Thanks Dave

That is a great help. I don't mind looking at a warning light while driving on winter tires for a few months as long as the system goes back to normal after I put the wheels with the sensors back on.

I sure appreciate the information. For some reason I just was never clear from reading the other posts (including the great FAQ on the subject) if the TPMS went back to normal after the sensors are replaced.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
DFW Z33
I am salad

Default TPMS problem

my TPMS warning came on two days ago, because it got real cold that day and the tire pressure dropped significantly, but now the weather is back to normal, and so is my tire pressure, but every time i turn my car on, the first gauge shows the Tire pressure with PSI flashing at the bottom, and my TPMS warning light hasnt turned off since. whats up with this?