Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Rear TPMS wont show plus Tire LAP on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009 | 12:40 PM
Dr. Venture

Question Rear TPMS wont show plus Tire LAP on...

Was wondering if anyone had this problem as of yet to where the rear and only the rear sensors never show up and the light is of course on for low tire psi. I did replace my D/S rear sensor already and still no show. Might it be the damn module needs replacement, or something interfering with the signal?

The car has been the same for least a year with no problems till this. My guess is my module may have a problem. And yes i did check my tire psi all the same at 32 lbs. And yes i've driven a long ways so everything warms up from the cold, but still no show the rear.

I also have a TPMS control unit that shows that the 2 rear sensors are in fact working and when i do use it to activate/program them they show on the scanner that they work, but still do not show up on the dash.

Was wondering if there is a sequence to reactivate the signal like most other cars have. I tried to look up on my shop key and in the cars manual but nothing came up. I've done an activation to dodges before so was just wondering.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 03-01-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 01:38 PM
davidmcc

It is possible to teach the system new locations for existing sensors but unfortunately learning a new sensor isn't something that can be done by the end user. I searched and searched for a way to do this myself but unless you have a consult II or top of the line Bartec Tech400 unit you'll have to go to the dealer to have this done.

...I hate that I can't completely sever the umbilical cord to my stealership

Last edited by davidmcc; 03-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 02:52 PM
Dr. Venture

I have the OTC complete TPMS kit that comes with the NISSAN reset tool.

http://www.otctpms.com/products/nissanreset.php
Old 03-01-2009 | 03:12 PM
davidmcc

That's what I was referring to when I talked about learning new locations for existing sensors. You adjust the air pressure in descending order starting with the left front, hook up the tool, click that trigger 5 times, and go for a little drive.

What you're trying to do aka "teach the system to recognize a new TPMS sensor" requires something a little more sophisticated. BELIEVE ME...I wish that wasn't the case . I scoured the web and emailed every company that had a product (OTC was one of them) I thought looked promising.

...I even contemplated dropping the $2500 on the Bartec just to give a big FU to Nissan for engineering their system to keep me coming back to the dealer.
Old 03-01-2009 | 06:36 PM
Dr. Venture

Damn them!!!!!
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:47 AM
Dr. Venture

Ok i may have a solution. I called Bartec Direct and spoke to someone about the information of not being able to do my 03 Z.

The co has never tested on a vehicle below 2005 and they never tested an 03-06 Z so they are not positive on that.

So what the gentlemen i spoke with is going to do is have a REP that has the scan tool on hand come to my shop and perform for me a DEMO not only to show me the TOOL itself, but to also check and see if it will do my Z as well. So im crossing my fingers cause if it DOES do my Z then im SET.

I also called the dealer and my parts guy said it only takes about 30 minutes to perform the test from them. So i'll get away worst case scenario and have them do it watching them like a HAWK so no road testing happens. HAHA.....I'll keep you posted!
Old 03-03-2009 | 12:13 PM
Dr. Venture

acctually i called OTC as well and they stated that their scan tool Genesis does the reprogramming. So if you can find a shop that has this tool your set. I am finding out if my Snap On Modis does this as well.
Old 03-03-2009 | 06:03 PM
davidmcc

I just revisited the Bartec site after reading this and it currently states that their unit won't be able to do 03-06 350z's until the release of a software update sometime this year.
http://www.bartecusa.com/TPMS_Asian_Cars_TECH400.htm
Hopefully the Rep has a tool with that software update. Now I'm REALLY GLAD I didn't buy that tool.

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
acctually i called OTC as well and they stated that their scan tool Genesis does the reprogramming. So if you can find a shop that has this tool your set. I am finding out if my Snap On Modis does this as well.
I'm glad to see more companies making these tools but even that OTC genesis retails for over $2k new. It would be really cool to see something even halfway affordable come out so the average joe like me could perform TPMS repairs at home.
...Better yet, it would be great if ALL car manufacturers just engineered these systems to auto-relearn when changes are made. Until then I'll be looking for a reputable shop that has the equipment to do this so I can avoid going to the dealer for this sort of thing.

Good luck, Hopefully you'll be able to get this taken care of for free with the rep.