Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Inside Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009 | 11:57 PM
Dcdylan

Default Inside Tire Wear

Hi guys I just bought a used set of wheels which had some rubber on them, but the insides of the rear are completely worn down, well +- 10%. The outer edges have atleast 45% im guessing. The current camber set up on my car is -2.0. The guy before me did NOT rotate his tires, causing an extreme difference in tire wear. My question was, can i rotate the rear tires and still have them be safe? My thinking was since I am running negative camber, and the outsides still have substantial tread, won't I stick to the road fine in wet conditions after i rotate, because the outside, gripper areas will now be on the inside which are taking most of the load? Apologies for a dumb question for it may seem that way lol.
Old 03-05-2009 | 09:10 AM
jinsei888

370z? no, please close thread
Old 03-05-2009 | 01:03 PM
ChrisSlicks

Originally Posted by Dcdylan
Hi guys I just bought a used set of wheels which had some rubber on them, but the insides of the rear are completely worn down, well +- 10%. The outer edges have atleast 45% im guessing. The current camber set up on my car is -2.0. The guy before me did NOT rotate his tires, causing an extreme difference in tire wear. My question was, can i rotate the rear tires and still have them be safe? My thinking was since I am running negative camber, and the outsides still have substantial tread, won't I stick to the road fine in wet conditions after i rotate, because the outside, gripper areas will now be on the inside which are taking most of the load? Apologies for a dumb question for it may seem that way lol.
No matter how you rotate your tires, the outside will stay on the outside no matter what corner you put the wheel on. You could potentially have the tire dismounted from the wheel and flipped on the rim if the tire is not directional, however most performance tires are. Even still you probably wouldn't get much more out of them.

Given how worn the tires are I don't think they are really salvageable, you'd be better off buying new tires.

Remember tire rotation is mostly for evening out wear front to rear, on rear-wheel drive cars the rear tires wear faster. If you have an asymmetrical setup (different size tires front vs rear) then you can't rotate at all except for side to side, which doesn't really achieve much.
Old 03-06-2009 | 07:18 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

When you rotate your tires, have the technician invert them on their wheels (inside "meat" outside, & viceversa). It costs a bit more, but you'll maximize the life of your e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e tires.
Old 03-06-2009 | 07:37 AM
davidv

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:52 PM
Dcdylan

thanks for the response guys. Yea i swapped my rears for pretty cheap at my friends shop. My toyo's are only directiononal and not assymetrical so it wasn't a problem just needed to dismount and remount.