Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Swapped to 245/40's on the front

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Loren04G35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped to 245/40's on the front

I've had the car for a week, but I haven't been able to drive it until today. I made a deal with Michelin to take my 225/45's Pilot Sports back and do a 1-for-1 swap for 245/40's Pilot Sports. I did this in hopes of getting more blalance out of the car by reducing understeer by putting more grip on the front. The tires haven't relaxed yet, so it may be a couple of days before I have a good break-in on them, but I have some initial responses. First, they are a little noisier and rougher. I will have to re-check the pressures when I get home. This may go away as they wear in. There are no tracking or tramlinging issues. It is straight the true at 90 mph(I am going easy since I am just starting break-in). Initial corner turn-in is a little slower. This was expected becasue the wider the tire, the more the force to turn it. Mid-corner turn-in is a lot sharper. So, it has definitely taken out some of the understeer. My swap bars should be here by the end of the week, so hopefully I can get it dialed in when I hit the skidpad in a couple of weeks.

As a couple other notes, I don't know if anyone knows this; but our wheels are reverse mounted. The painting on the front goes all the day to the edge and there is no outer lip. They have to be mounted outside down because of this. After seeing what it took to change the front tires and how tightly they fit on the wheels, I decided not to go up to a 9.0" wheel for now. This also keeps me legal to run in STX.