Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Three tire opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
DieselOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three tire opinions....

Hey guys,

I can get either of these 3 tires for roughly the same price from a local distributor. I am getting the standard 255/35 front and 275/35 or 285/30 rear. My choices are: Nankang NSII, GY Eagle GSD3 or Dunlop Sport SP9000.

I have Nankang in the front right now and I really don't mind them at all. I will most likely replace all four corners.

What I am looking for is a quiet, longer lasting tire. Performance isn't much of a requirement because I do not track my car. My only requirement is that I can flip the tires because I run some negative camber and do not want a rear camber kit.

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend the Mashimoto ZX tires.

If those are unavailable, look for corresponding tire reviews and comparisons here: www.tirerack.com
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
DieselOne

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Spork
I recommend the Mashimoto ZX tires.

If those are unavailable, look for corresponding tire reviews and comparisons here: www.tirerack.com
I'm looking for fellow driver reviews, not tirerack.

Tire rack does not have a comparison with these three tire choices.

I have had 5 different brands of tires on my car since 2004, just neither of these three.

If you can't offer an opinion on a tire, please stay out of the thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM
neal@tirerack
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thread?

http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-t...-opinions.html
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
DieselOne

Yes Neal same thread.

I am leaning towards the Goodyears. My guy can't get sizes for the front so I will be PMming you in the near future.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I read your thread and would like to contribute. I’ve run six different tire models/brands on two Z’s, so my experience is limited.

Right now I’m running Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (Front 245/40-18”, Rear 245/45-18”) and I do like the tire.
  • Traction: It’s very sticky on dry roadways, and excellent in the wet. In fact, I’d say it’s nearly as good on dry or in wet.

• Comfort: This tire has moderately soft sidewalls, so it provides a relatively comfortable ride for a summer-performance tire.

• Noise level: The tire is relatively quiet for a summer-performance tire (but, being a summer-performance tire, it is noisy compared to all-season tires, snow tires, etc.).

• Tread wear: Not too bad. It looks as though I’ll get about 20K on the rears, and something under 30K on the fronts. My driving style is “semi-aggressive.”

Caveat: If you prefer a very rigid feel while cornering, this may not be the tire you want. This tire has a relatively soft sidewall making it more comfortable, but it doesn’t provide the very stiff cornering feel you have in some other summer performance tires. I prefer comfort, so this compromise is very acceptable to me, but may not suit other drivers. After driving on the tire for a week or two, I didn’t notice this difference; and of course it’s only perception and doesn’t really affect handling.

My second choice would be the Dunlop.

Hope this is useful,

--Spike
Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 PM
DieselOne

Originally Posted by Spike100
I read your thread and would like to contribute. I’ve run six different tire models/brands on two Z’s, so my experience is limited.

Right now I’m running Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (Front 245/40-18”, Rear 245/45-18”) and I do like the tire.
  • Traction: It’s very sticky on dry roadways, and excellent in the wet. In fact, I’d say it’s nearly as good on dry or in wet.

• Comfort: This tire has moderately soft sidewalls, so it provides a relatively comfortable ride for a summer-performance tire.

• Noise level: The tire is relatively quiet for a summer-performance tire (but, being a summer-performance tire, it is noisy compared to all-season tires, snow tires, etc.).

• Tread wear: Not too bad. It looks as though I’ll get about 20K on the rears, and something under 30K on the fronts. My driving style is “semi-aggressive.”

Caveat: If you prefer a very rigid feel while cornering, this may not be the tire you want. This tire has a relatively soft sidewall making it more comfortable, but it doesn’t provide the very stiff cornering feel you have in some other summer performance tires. I prefer comfort, so this compromise is very acceptable to me, but may not suit other drivers. After driving on the tire for a week or two, I didn’t notice this difference; and of course it’s only perception and doesn’t really affect handling.

My second choice would be the Dunlop.

Hope this is useful,

--Spike

That was extremely helpfull. Thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by DieselOne
That was extremely helpfull. Thank you very much.
Thanks for the reply.

I’m not trying to jack your thread or start yet another “what is the best tire” (since everyone’s baby is the cutest), but I would like to offer some additional comments.

By far, the best tire I’ve owned for the Z is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. This tire does it all (comfort, handling, perfect balance of sidewall rigidity, and great dry/wet grip). The only disadvantage is its co$t (and it was cost that made me consider alternative choices when selecting a new tire for my Z).

The best tire I’ve driven is the Pirelli PZero; but my experience is limited, only driving with this tire on a friend’s Porsche. The Pirelli drove and handled better than anything I’ve experienced (but, maybe a part of this experience can be attributed to the Porsche car’s exceptional handling). Since I don't own this tire, I cannot describe its wear or other features.

The Toyo might be a tire you want to consider. The T1R is about equivalent to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, but costs less.

--Spike
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselOne
I'm looking for fellow driver reviews, not tirerack.

Tire rack does not have a comparison with these three tire choices.

I have had 5 different brands of tires on my car since 2004, just neither of these three.

If you can't offer an opinion on a tire, please stay out of the thread.
Want my opinion?

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Spork
Want my opinion?

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions.
Yes... the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions is an excellent tire. It has a relatively stiff sidewall that makes handling and driving feel just great, wears well for a summer-performance tire, and works great on the Z car.

Owners of this tire rave about its qualities, and I believe it’s a consistent replacement (people re-buy this product because it’s a superior tire and a great value).

--Spike