Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Iforged Makes Me Want To Sell My Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Edretti
ZZTOP, is this in reference to IForged wheels only? I did hear that the clear use to come off pretty easy. Now the company that clear coats the wheels for IForged is the same company that does the wheels for HRE.

I've heard that as well, so why the problem with the clearcoat on Havabooz's new wheel?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Edretti

That I have no idea about. I was mostly refering to cleaning it.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Ultimateone

You should check out some threads at e46Fanatics.com about Iforged ...it'd make you think alot more than twice about buying from them
Old 10-03-2003, 06:21 PM
havabooz

the wheel simply wasnt done right...all other 3 are fine...when this one come back im sure it ill be great..yes..i have the rivets..its goig to b a serious pain to clean..i gotta whip out a toothbrush and start brushing!!..also..i was thinking this.....they make high powered air to cleandust in the keyboard (computer keboard)...im almost sure its just compressed air..but itwould work grea assuming it does ruin the clearcoat
Old 10-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Edretti

This clear coat is my big fear. I'm very **** and I take very good care of my wheels and car but I don't want my new wheels to peel should a rock hit them. I didn't realize that you got clear coat so I do not recommend using a high pressure washer. A toothbrush at best is what you will need to clear around the rivets. Although with the clear coat I doubt it will build up like it does without it.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:19 AM
havabooz

what do you mean u didnt know i got a clearcoat..doesnt every wheel they do come with one?

what would it look like w/o a clearcoat?

are there any benefits w/o one?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:22 AM
havabooz

either way igotta get this one wheel redone..the others arnt peeling anywhere and dont seem to be..is the clearcoat necessary?

vince told me i could use the wheel before i send it back..(because i told him that i wanted to enoy them before the winter...after all ive been waiting 10 weeks)

should i wait and see what happens to the raw metal under the clearcoat?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
little_rod

Well, you can get them reclearcoated on the bad spot at your dealership probably, and you wouldn't lose any time. Shouldn't cost that much either. Rather pay $50 (should be relatively cheap), than wait a month or two to get the rims back again.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Edretti

I cancelled my request for clear coat. No they do not come clear coated. However I had a few nicks from rocks and it annoyed me quite a bit. So I got some wet sand paper and sanded my wheels today then polished them and now they look like brand new. I am so happy with the outcome. I could never do this with a clear coated rim. If the get knicked up I could never sand a clear coated wheel. However a clear coated wheel would make life easier as far as cleaning.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:29 PM
havabooz

well...i was thinking of doing that little rod but the clearcoat is terrible on the entire wheel..not just one spot...vince made it sound like he wasnt gonna screw around...he is going to fix it for me...edretti...it sounds like non-clearcoat has its benefits...but i can only REALLY clean my wheels thoroughly once a week..so i guess clearcoat is better ....

actually..i can conduct a small test...if i peel away the clearcoat thats bubbling i will be able to test clearcoat vs. raw metal

but if raw metal wins..how can i remove the clearcoat from all wheels

ether way its a lose lose situation for me
Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Edretti

My buddy knows a lot about polishing/stripping aluminum. I asked him what would I do if it became too bad (peeling) he said that removing the clear coat would be no problem. Some kind of air craft carrier thinner or something to that effect would strip it all off on contact. Well best of luck. You can't change what's happend now. Once you put your wheels on and smile all of this will be mostly forgotten....hopefully. Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:38 AM
havabooz

i guess your right....im not gonna let that get me down..but i do want it fixed...lets just hope it all goes smoothly

what i need to worry about is bending a rim on the city streets...but thats a WHOLE nother story