Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Abnormal Tire Wear... not another feathering issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM
LegionnaireZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal Tire Wear... not another feathering issue...

Ok, so i've found some really strange tire waer and i don't believe it to be cupping, feathering or whatever other term we've associated with the alignment issues already known with the early Zs...

Now some insight...
I recently participated in an autocross event, and i believe the tire 's condition to be either pre-existing or happened shortly after... however i am not certian of this, because i didn't check them before or after the racing...

The tires in question were mounted approximately 1 month before the race and no significant wear was noted at the time.

anyways, i was hoping to see if you guys could shed some light on this... lemme know what you think...

if this is infact a repeat, feel free to let me know and i'll ask the mods to delete.

Thanks.

Some other key points are:

Suspension setup is 100 percent stock.

Last edited by LegionnaireZ; 08-25-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Photos are great but not sure what I am supposed to be looking for? Are you referring to scuffing on the inner and outer edges of the tire? That is typical damage from understeer. Autocross is tough on tires.

Here is a simple suggestion for autocross. Paint the side of the tires (white marks on side of tire). If paint is gone from tread area - good. If paint is gone from the side wall - bad. Adjust tire pressure accordingly.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 AM
sodjazero

if you are talking about the inside of the tire where its extreme worn down, i just replaced the same tire on the same side of the car with the same issue on a stock suspention, i havent been autocrossing or anything like that, but my car is all stock and apparently its having the same issue...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 AM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sodjazero
if you are talking about the inside of the tire where its extreme worn down, i just replaced the same tire on the same side of the car with the same issue on a stock suspention, i havent been autocrossing or anything like that, but my car is all stock and apparently its having the same issue...
I wouldn't just replace one tire. It's better to replace tires in pairs.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Photos are great but not sure what I am supposed to be looking for? Are you referring to scuffing on the inner and outer edges of the tire? That is typical damage from understeer. Autocross is tough on tires.

Here is a simple suggestion for autocross. Paint the side of the tires (white marks on side of tire). If paint is gone from tread area - good. If paint is gone from the side wall - bad. Adjust tire pressure accordingly.
Yes, the part i'm refering to is the outer tread pattern. (closest to the engine bay.)

hmm... excellent suggestion david, i'll do that... and now assuming it's understeer, and not a greater suspension issue...(which i don't think it is) what are some possible corrections for this type of wear?

Also note, that all tires are aired to the specs of the tire, tire pressure is checked around once a week. usually unless there is a nair or similiar there isn't much variance in the pressures...

So if this is typical understeer damage, my question is what is the most effective tire pressure to be at, i've been to the drag strip and lowered to 25psi... but i don't think that tires should be THAT low for autocross...

Last edited by LegionnaireZ; 08-25-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LegionnaireZ
Yes, the part i'm refering to is the outer tread pattern. (closest to the engine bay.)

hmm... excellent suggestion david, i'll do that... and now assuming it's understeer, and not a greater suspension issue...(which i don't think it is) what are some possible corrections for this type of wear?

Also note, that all tires are aired to the specs of the tire, tire pressure is checked around once a week. usually unless there is a nair or similiar there isn't much variance in the pressures...

So if this is typical understeer damage, my question is what is the most effective tire pressure to be at, i've been to the drag strip and lowered to 25psi... but i don't think that tires should be THAT low for autocross...
I think you have autocross and drag racing mixed up.
For autocross I run 40 PSI.
For drag racing 30 to 35 PSI.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 AM
LegionnaireZ

you're probably right... now that you say that i remember the event staff saying before hand to increase your tires PSI before the event so you could adjust it at the track. but on drag events i do decrease to about 25 PSI...