Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Help! My LE-37 Volks' Clear is FLAKING!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
jammin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
He said they were brand new. Why would someone re-clear brand new wheels? Unless we're missing some story behind it all from the original owner that had to have gotten it re-cleared. If these were any other wheels other then volks, works and what not everybody would say you get what you pay for.
Like say, some Linea Corse LeMans? lololol
Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
duro78

Wow even budget wheels hold up better than that. Add this to the debate of spending a lot of $ on volks
Old 12-21-2009, 03:03 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say this isnt the work of volk, ive herd of people getting volks refinished as soon as they arive because they dont like the factory coating, so just go do that.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by duro78
Wow even budget wheels hold up better than that. Add this to the debate of spending a lot of $ on volks
I can't believe comments like this when we don't even know the full story behind the wheels. OP has already stated that he bought them from an individual, not an authorized dealer so that alone makes them suspect.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
rxkevin

Those comments don't surprise me any more. I read them, then look at the users join date, number of posts and then just move on.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I can't believe comments like this when we don't even know the full story behind the wheels. OP has already stated that he bought them from an individual, not an authorized dealer so that alone makes them suspect.
I agree. See my Message #3 on this thread.

It’s hard to believe these are a “Monday morning hangover” result at the factory. Just a set of four defective wheels out of the entire production would certainly be unusual. A more logical explanation is that the previous owner (for one reason or another) had the wheels refinished and recoated.

Question: What’s the best way to repair this? (I’m asking because I do not know)

--Spike
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Lee R

How many times are we going to go over the same thing?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People are always quick to assume they know what happened, and what the real situation is. The fact of the matter is no one here knows except the OP and the seller, if he is still around. So guessing, or assuming doesn't help solve the problem.

While it's a nuissance that it happened, it is not impossible to solve. Sometimes **** just happens.

As far as I aware, these are not polished, they are anodized. They look great and can be very durable, but they are sensitive. They don't like any harsh chemicals, they don't even like hard water pressure (like a power washer).

Lots of places exist that can refinish them. I'd also be curious to see a date stamped pic of what the fronts look like as well. If it is just the rears, perhaps you can contact Mackin and maybe something can be worked out where they can advise you on who can properly refinish them, and what steps you can take to prevent it from happening again.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 1,001 Likes on 761 Posts

^They have machining lines on them...not even fully polished. Seller only posted to sell the wheels and contributed nothing else.

anodizing is a super thing coating that should not flake but rather scratch. Its too thin to cover imperfections like PC and paint. Its a bond with the metal right?

OP, get a picture of the sticker on the inside of the wheel...it should say LE or TE in the description.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Here's where he bought the wheels....

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...22-offset.html

... looks legit.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 12-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

... looks legit.
I have to agree, sounds like the seller was a stand-up guy and the wheels looked brand new in the pictures.

OP in the For Sale thread you mentioned some wheel coatings you put on them. Is there a chance that those coatings somehow dried clear and left a film, and that is what is now flaking off? (I have no idea about any of the products you listed, so maybe this is not even a remote possibility)

I agree that Mackin probably won't touch these with a 10 foot pole, but it's worth calling them. Might have a better chance if the original owner (who hopefully has the receipt of sale) could help you out. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 AM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Cux350z
^They have machining lines on them...not even fully polished. Seller only posted to sell the wheels and contributed nothing else.

anodizing is a super thing coating that should not flake but rather scratch. Its too thin to cover imperfections like PC and paint. Its a bond with the metal right?

OP, get a picture of the sticker on the inside of the wheel...it should say LE or TE in the description.
I think the seller is legit. He said he bought these about 18 months before he sold them for his G35 and then he got sent to Iraq in the military before he could have them installed. when he got back from Iraq, he'd saved enough $$ for an E92 M3 (Which I got to look at when I picked up the wheels.) When he got back from Iraq, he sold his G35 and these wheels and bought an M3 (White w black interior - Pimp!).

Here is his wheel for sale thread on My350z (his Join date is Aug 2008):

And here is his wheel for sale thread on G35Driver (his Join date is 2005):
http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-t...ished-lip.html

His thread on G35-Driver had pics of the wheel stickers, which clearly say TE37 Ltd with a 12/2007 MFR date on them.

His G35 Driver post says he purchased them from JPS performance in China. so not imported by Mackin. I wonder if JPS is a legit company.

They came with all the documentation/manuals/stickers all in the bags with each wheel. But no LE37 decal on the lips.

I don't see any flaking on the front wheels, just the two rears.

Any suggestions? I could call the seller to see if he still has the original sales receipt, but what am I gonna do to about some random company in China?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I think the seller is legit. He said he bought these about 18 months before he sold them for his G35 and then he got sent to Iraq in the military before he could have them installed. when he got back from Iraq, he'd saved enough $$ for an E92 M3 (Which I got to look at when I picked up the wheels.) When he got back from Iraq, he sold his G35 and these wheels and bought an M3 (White w black interior - Pimp!).

His thread on G35-Driver had pics of the wheel stickers, which clearly say TE37 Ltd with a 12/2007 MFR date on them.

His G35 Driver post says he purchased them from JPS performance in China. so not imported by Mackin. I wonder if JPS is a legit company.

They came with all the documentation/manuals/stickers all in the bags with each wheel. But no LE37 decal on the lips.

Any suggestions? I could call the seller to see if he still has the original sales receipt, but what am I gonna do to about some random company in China?
I did a google search for JPS Performance and JPS Performance China and didn't come up with anything worthwhile. Seems odd that a company in China would re-sell Rays / Volk wheels. Hopefully this is not a case of knock-off wheels being labeled as genuine Rays / Volk products. It might be worth a call to Mackin to ask them if they have heard of this JPS outfit.

Also, I don't think any of the Volk wheels come with decals already applied to the spokes or lips, so that sounds normal.

Last edited by sry110; 12-22-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

If that's the case, then these are probably grey/black market wheels and there's no way Mackin or even Rays will touch them.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by sry110
I did a google search for JPS Performance and JPS Performance China and didn't come up with anything worthwhile. Seems odd that a company in China would re-sell Rays / Volk wheels. Hopefully this is not a case of knock-off wheels being labeled as genuine Rays / Volk products. It might be worth a call to Mackin to ask them if they have heard of this JPS outfit.

Also, I don't think any of the Volk wheels come with decals already applied to the spokes or lips, so that sounds normal.
I think it's the other way around. Mine came with Volk stickers on the spokes, LE37 stickers on the lip.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:50 PM
itsjiggajames

Wierd, MY le37s say LE 37T not TE37 LTD...
Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

There's a lot of "weird" in those wheels.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxkevin
Those comments don't surprise me any more. I read them, then look at the users join date, number of posts and then just move on.
LOL!!!

... looks legit.
Wow, I remember almost buying those.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
rxkevin

I'll check my LE37s for the sticker stating TE or LE, but I believe it should say LE37.

The seller did post that these were polished so it could be possible that they were TE37s and then had the lip polished. They look legit enough, aside from the clear coat flaking. Regardless, I do not see Mackin or any vendor touching those wheels without you paying as they are not the original finish and they were tampered with.

No offense to the OP, but that seller has like 40 posts between G35 Driver and My350z, and 0 itrader on both forums.

Your best bet is to probably have the lips redone properly. I highly doubt you will get anything back from the seller or Mackin. After reading the sellers post also, it looks like he brought a BMW. Good luck with everything tho.

The lips also should have a LE37 sticker but that would obviously be gone since they were repolished.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The seller didn't explicitly say they were re-polished or he had them polished. The only reference is in the title which makes sense since LE37s have diamond polished lips as opposed to TE37s that have painted lips.

In light of the boxes saying TE37, maybe that's what they were when JPS bought them and they polished the lips, cleared them and resold them as LE37s. Who knows

Quick Reply: Help! My LE-37 Volks' Clear is FLAKING!