Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

'ticking' sound from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'ticking' sound from wheels

Ok, here's the setup. 06 Base Z. Stock suspension, stock ride height, stock wheels, stock tire sizes.

Just installed Ichiba V2 spacers last night. 25mm all around. Drove the car around last night, after the install, and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

This morning, on the way to work, I hear a ticking sound coming from my wheels. Ticking increases with speed, and decreases when I slow down. Not sure what that is. Am pretty certain I tightened everything down correctly.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Twister350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure the noise is coming from the wheels? Sorry I just never heard of this before lol.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
reverse

never heard of a ticking noise. make sure u tighten them again after you drive the car.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM
sublimemoment

Are your lugs torqued to spec?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by Twister350Z
You sure the noise is coming from the wheels? Sorry I just never heard of this before lol.
Right now, I'm assuming that it's coming from there, since that's the last thing I did. And seems to be consistent with the pace of the car. the faster the car moves, the more the tick occurs.

Originally Posted by sublimemoment
Are your lugs torqued to spec?
Probably not. I don't have a torque wrench here with me, so I usually tighten them by hand a couple times. I've thought about trying to re-tighten everything again.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Ok, here's the setup. 06 Base Z. Stock suspension, stock ride height, stock wheels, stock tire sizes.

Just installed Ichiba V2 spacers last night. 25mm all around. Drove the car around last night, after the install, and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

This morning, on the way to work, I hear a ticking sound coming from my wheels. Ticking increases with speed, and decreases when I slow down. Not sure what that is. Am pretty certain I tightened everything down correctly.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Two things have caused this in with my car. The first time it happened, it was a screw that I had run over that was stuck in the tire itself. The second time, it was merely a sizeable rock stuck between the treads. Inspect each tire and see if you can find something like this. What you're describing sounds exactly like what I experienced - the clicking is just whatever object it is hitting the pavement. As you go faster, it obviously will increase in frequency.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by onagao
Two things have caused this in with my car. The first time it happened, it was a screw that I had run over that was stuck in the tire itself. The second time, it was merely a sizeable rock stuck between the treads. Inspect each tire and see if you can find something like this. What you're describing sounds exactly like what I experienced - the clicking is just whatever object it is hitting the pavement. As you go faster, it obviously will increase in frequency.
Didn't even think about that... I'll look into that.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would look into how your spacers were installed as well as your tread.

Considering it happened after you installed the spacers that would be my first guess.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

+1.... Since it seems to be increasing with speed now that i know that info, i would rule out the axel click. I would say check your tires for stones or screws as mentioned above
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
labelworkshop75

yea i was gonna say its prob. a rock or nail head. check dem tires
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Twister350Z

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
+1...
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are reading my mind.

If the tick increases and decreases with MPH, you are in luck. Well not in luck as I know the exact problem, but in luck because the noise is related to something that is rotating. Wheels, tires. spacers, brake rotors.

There is a nail in your tire that taps the ground as you drive?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
albaugh81

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75

Bingo check the tread.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Twister350Z

Let us know, if we were correct on this. Looking forward to that answer. Hope it works out for you man.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
dmroberson

ok, I'll check after I get off work today... and let you guys know what I find. 3 more hours to go... lol

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

well?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
dmroberson

Well. I'm a retard. So i went to check the driver's side front wheel, since that's where the sound was coming from... Apparently I didn't tighten the lugs on the wheel much. The noise was either my lugs rattling because they're 2-piece. Or the wheel was moving around on the lug studs.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:52 PM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Well. I'm a retard. So i went to check the driver's side front wheel, since that's where the sound was coming from... Apparently I didn't tighten the lugs on the wheel much. The noise was either my lugs rattling because they're 2-piece. Or the wheel was moving around on the lug studs.
God, thats scary bro, please do me a fav and torque them to spec at 80ft lbs I dont want you thinkin the spacers i sold you caused your wheels to fall off
Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 AM
dmroberson

Yeah, it is pretty scary, now that I know what could have happened... I'm gonna torque them as soon as I can get my hands on a torque wrench... The hobby shop on base here, has one, so I'll go in the morning.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
xxhotelcrazyxx
Banned

After you torque them in a star pattern, go around them one more time (both spacers and lugnuts)

Quick Reply: 'ticking' sound from wheels