Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Is Varrstoen Wheels Breaking Federal Law???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM555
What's even better is the 19x10 Nismo rear is 29.8lbs, Freakin' 30lbs!!! That is considered "Super Light Forged Aluminum Alloy" but hmmph, this 10.5 wheel that is Aluminum Cast and is "heavy, ghetto, and a fake" weighs less than the beloved Nismo rears.....how does that make sense? Considering the size, the weight is REALLY not that bad. No they aren't track wheels, but for the price I saved from buying real Volks, I can buy an additional set of wheels AND tires and still have some cash in my pocket.
if the weights are relatively simple then that is just due to the fact of the amount of material that is on the wheel.. thicker five spokes versus thinner six.. etc.. you have to compare the similar shapes.. the TE37s vs the Varrstoen reps.. not the reps to the nismo wheel...however, don't forget that the manufacturing process is different.

its CAST aluminum for these knock offs versus FORGED aluminum for the oem Rays..

the 19x10 nismo rears are still stronger in structure than the cast fakes, and would therefore hold up better at the limits. think curb or deep pothole or even accident..

for the record, when i did own 19" TE37 .. here were my weights
19x8.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 19.2 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb
19x9.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 20.0 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb
19x10.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 21.5 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb

Last edited by Chebosto; 05-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
JDM555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
if the weights are relatively simple then that is just due to the fact of the amount of material that is on the wheel.. thicker five spokes versus thinner six.. etc.. you have to compare the similar shapes.. the TE37s vs the Varrstoen reps.. not the reps to the nismo wheel...however, don't forget that the manufacturing process is different.

its CAST aluminum for these knock offs versus FORGED aluminum for the oem Rays..

the 19x10 nismo rears are still stronger in structure than the cast fakes, and would therefore hold up better at the limits. think curb or deep pothole or even accident..
Oh definitely, I understand the forged aluminum is much stronger than cast aluminum, but I mean, if you do curb rash a wheel if it's the cast or the forged, you're still going to have an ugly curb rash on your wheel. A deep pot hole depending on speed will dent both rims, just got to be cautious, you can't really dislike a specific wheel just because of what driver error and road conditions can do to it right? Accident, I don't know about you, but the last thing I'm worried about in an accident are my wheels. Again, depending on the speed/angle/what you hit, forged wheels will also get bent and/or break, they are stronger, but they aren't perfect, they can still get damaged.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
JDM555

Originally Posted by Chebosto
for the record, when i did own 19" TE37 .. here were my weights
19x8.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 19.2 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb
19x9.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 20.0 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb
19x10.5 Volk TE37 +22 offset: 21.5 pounds error: +/- 0.5 lb
Awesome, thanks for posting this! Yes, low 20's for the 10.5" I was a little off. I was told offset has to do with weight, is that true or does it not matter between a +0 wheel and a +22 wheel? 6lbs is definitely going to be noticeable, but I guess if your main objective is weight then by all means, buy the real deal, nothing wrong with that, but I don't think people should bash on varrstoen owners and call them cheap and fake or ghetto, that is just uncalled for.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM
blkonblk350gt

Sold my volk GT-AV's and bought a set of these in 0 offsets in white for my black g coupe wooo lol Cant wait til they get here.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaganDee
:rubs his hands together and looks around in anticipation for the next mad Volk owner: .. this thread gets more promising for high entertainment value every day
:rubs his hands together in anticipation for the next cheap *** to justify spending $200 on his cheap wheels:
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
JDM555

Originally Posted by blkonblk350gt
Sold my volk GT-AV's and bought a set of these in 0 offsets in white for my black g coupe wooo lol Cant wait til they get here.
Please take a lot of pictures off the car and on the tire. I want to see more pictures of +0, so far there is only 1 Daytona Blue Z I saw with 245/275 and that was mean as ****, the other +0 was stretched like crazy and tucking rim, ehhh not my style.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
:rubs his hands together in anticipation for the next cheap *** to justify spending $200 on his cheap wheels:
lol

I don't really like the idea of these wheels, or replicas in general, because I don't think it is fair to the original / manufacturer / etc.

I will agree these are better than the fake Brides, LV stuff, etc, because they don't use the Rays' name.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
blkonblk350gt

Please take a lot of pictures off the car and on the tire. I want to see more pictures of +0, so far there is only 1 Daytona Blue Z I saw with 245/275 and that was mean as ****, the other +0 was stretched like crazy and tucking rim, ehhh not my style.
Will do, I have 2 sets of tires that I'm going to try out on them 245/275 and 225/245. Ive seen a couple with 225/245 and the stretch isnt crazy so I want to see what will look best. Wheels should be here in about a week or a week and a half.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Speaking of that, didn't one of the guy rocking the time attack CE28N's get his wheels stolen? I wonder how he felt when his $3000+ disappeared, I'd rather have my $1000 reps get stolen cause I can replace them.
Yeah, had them stolen, bought another set, brand new, three weeks later.
I dont drive a $3K carolla.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM
ReaganDee

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Volks fit a Corolla?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you please back up your comments? Where does it say these are 30lbs? And how is there a 10lb difference between stock and these? Are you saying the 18x8.5 06-08 wheels are 17.5lbs? Please show me your stock wheel weighing in at 17.5lbs because that's BS.

The stock 06-08 wheels listed off of 350z-teach are:

Front 18x8 24.4lbs
Rear 18x8.5 25.8lbs

http://www.*********.com/zwiki/Wheel_Specifications

These varrstoens 19x10.5 +0 are 27.5lbs shown here.

So explain to me, how is it 10lbs over stock again? The fronts are most likely 24-26lbs, I don't really understand why people are making a huge deal out this.

Yes, they are replicas, but if we don't track our cars daily and don't want to run the risk of curbing the $900 wheel or drawing unwanted attention and having a lowlife steal your wheels.

Speaking of that, didn't one of the guy rocking the time attack CE28N's get his wheels stolen? I wonder how he felt when his $3000+ disappeared, I'd rather have my $1000 reps get stolen cause I can replace them.

Yes, volks are the real deal, no the people with varrs don't think they are hardcore and better than volks by adding volk stickers and center caps. The people thinking they are the real volks are the ricers, but people who just don't have or WANT to spend $3000+ on wheels when they don't track daily and don't want to worry to death over them, shouldn't be considered ricers and lowlifes. Don't call them "ricers" and "ghetto" just because we pick reps that look identical and aren't light as a pillow, I bet over 50% of those volk owners don't track the car and if they do, they don't track the volks.

That's just my 2 cents. I don't want to offend anyone, so don't take this the wrong way.
LMAO, they are essentially 30% heavier then the real deal. why make a big deal, because it is a very big and heavy deal. why dont you just give up and admit that these wheels are heavy and go on with your life. enjoy them but dont try to down play the fact that these wheels are some of the heaviest 19 wheels ive ever seen. hell TSW 19s tend to be a bit lighter than these, lol. even if you dont "track" your car, im assuming you bought your Z at least partially for its performance aspect. even daily driving you'll notice your Z is sluggish with heavy wheels.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
ReaganDee

Yea I have the Rota's on my Z already ... next in the progression of my car is wrapping the hatch, hood, pillars and roof in 3M carbon fiber DI-NOC
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaganDee
Yea I have the Rota's on my Z already ... next in the progression of my car is wrapping the hatch, hood, pillars and roof in 3M carbon fiber DI-NOC
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
tware

Hate to break this to you, but blue book on a ragged out 03 350Z with 100k on it is about 5-7k. A body style that's pretty much indistinguishable from the subsequent years to most people. So, at some point, yes you will have wheels worth more the 1/2 the value of your car... albeit a few more years for you. But the fact remains. I personally dont care what year or miles, I'd pick the ragged Z over the clean used Corrolla just about any day. But, from a money angle, it's not like we have appreciating classic cars here.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
ReaganDee

Originally Posted by Nexx
I know what you mean. It is going to be a pain to make it work. I am also considering cutting some vents in my hood before I wrap it.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
JDM555

Originally Posted by Nexx
LMAO, they are essentially 30% heavier then the real deal. why make a big deal, because it is a very big and heavy deal. why dont you just give up and admit that these wheels are heavy and go on with your life. enjoy them but dont try to down play the fact that these wheels are some of the heaviest 19 wheels ive ever seen. hell TSW 19s tend to be a bit lighter than these, lol. even if you dont "track" your car, im assuming you bought your Z at least partially for its performance aspect. even daily driving you'll notice your Z is sluggish with heavy wheels.
Seems like you're getting really mad over my comments, I'm just giving my opinion, no need to get mad.

Second, when did I ever say these wheels were light and trackable? For the size compared to stocks, they are considered light. Think about it, the 18x8.5 weighs 25.8lbs, while a wheel that is 1" bigger and 2" wider, is only 2lbs heavier, over stock, I really don't think that will make the car feel "sluggish". The tires will be low profile and might even way less than the 245/45/18's on the car now.

I'm not saying these are better than Volks, of course not. I'm not saying these will make the car feel faster, I know heavy and bigger wheels need more power to make them spin, so I know what you're saying, but it's not like as soon as I put these on the car, I lose 30HP, cause that is just BS.

These are damn big and wide wheels, 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 isn't going to be light unless it's Forged, and in that case you're paying at least $3000. Show me wheels with a similar pattern and same size that ISN'T over $3000 that weighs over 2-3lbs less per wheel.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Bumpinjeep

Originally Posted by tware
Hate to break this to you, but blue book on a ragged out 03 350Z with 100k on it is about 5-7k. A body style that's pretty much indistinguishable from the subsequent years to most people. So, at some point, yes you will have wheels worth more the 1/2 the value of your car... albeit a few more years for you. But the fact remains. I personally dont care what year or miles, I'd pick the ragged Z over the clean used Corrolla just about any day. But, from a money angle, it's not like we have appreciating classic cars here.
Yikes, then youre really gonna hate the twin turbo set up. Ok, now honestly, you would rather drive a beat up riced out Z over a lets say gentley used 2 year old stock Corolla? I think in the long run, the Toyota will be cheaper.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
JDM555

Ok, good for you. I'm glad you have enough money to spend on volks. So basically the wheels you're rockin' are worth $6,000 since the first ones are gonzo right? Sounds like a great investment. Do you track your car with the volks? Or do you have you're own track wheels/tires?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
blkonblk350gt

The real problem is that volk te37 owners are butt hurt because they actually came out with reps that look JUST LIKE the real deal and some cars look even better then the ones with the real deal because of offsets offered.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Bumpinjeep

Ok, good for you. I'm glad you have enough money to spend on volks. So basically the wheels you're rockin' are worth $6,000 since the first ones are gonzo right? Sounds like a great investment. Do you track your car with the volks? Or do you have you're own track wheels/tires?
Track time is pretty limited here in the northwest. Suspension is set up, I have to finish the motor work and brakes. Hopefully I can get the whole thing done by this summer. Locally, Pacific Raceway isn't bad. I would have to make the trek to Portland and see the Oregon track scene. Tires wise, yes, I wont use street tires. Investment wise, I bought a two seat sports car, this obviously isn't my only means of transportation.

And no, no Volk owner is mad because some kid can buy a cheap, heavy, knock off of the wheels they own. They want the real thing so much, that they will buy a heavy fake. And if the Volk owner is mad, well then he's an idiot. Like I said before, they are just wheels, if your fake wheels make you feel happy because you can look like you are a car enthusiast, then by all means booboo.

The fact of the matter is that kids are buying these wheels that actually diminish the car's performance because they want to "look" cool or something. If your car came with forged rays wheels, why in the world would you want to put some cast crap on there? The same thing applies to Subaru's, they come with BBS wheels, why would anyone in their right mind want to buy ghetto wheels?

Quick Reply: Is Varrstoen Wheels Breaking Federal Law???