Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Will driving change with fat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
wide tires in the front is a NO NO IMO... i have 265 35 18s in the front.. and every little groove in the road the car gets sucked into.. its annoying compared to stock.. and its easy to look like you're driving drunk

smaller the sidewall of the tire, the more bumpy it will be.. example 30 series will be harsher than a stock 45 series

wheel spin is factored by grip and the overall weight of the wheel.. wider tires have more grip of course.

tire life is more dependant on brand, alignment specs, and the driver, not size... supposenly you will loose gas milage with the bigger the tire.
^^ Great post! I agree with every point you make.

I don't like much wider than 245 or 255 on the front for the reasons you mention. With that setup on the front, 275 to 285 is about as wide as you want in the rear.

I'm talking about street setups, where you don't want the front to grab every irregularity on the road, especially when running on the expressway.

--Spike
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 AM
idrive_MD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby-22
you dont think having such wide tires will weigh you down? think about the weight difference between oem rims/tires vs the 19x11 and 305/30s on an n/a setup. Huge difference if you ask me, and for a dd (not track events) it will slow you down at least in a straight line trust me.
Thats the thing though, I'm only sacrificing what I consider a small margin of increased weight vs a huge increase in grip. I compared my 19 combo against my OEM combo and I'm only seeing a 3lb difference between each wheel/tire combo. In my opinion and my experience that added weight is loss to me by my increased grip.

I hear what you're saying, but I certainly dont think it applies to me much. Now if you would have said I might be losing some speed to added grip, then I would whole heartidly agree, but I really dont feel it if I am. I've loved the decision to go wider in the front and rear, the increase of grip gives me gobbs more control than I had before.

In the end, it all comes down to the OP and what he wants from his car and tires etc. I tend to enjoy grip and always aim to improve my grip before I start adding power. If that means losing some speed on the roads, oh well. If I wanted to be fast on my daily commute I would not have bought a G35 or a 350Z. I gave up on that notion. Now I just do my best to balance my performance and looks of the car within the confines of my budget. I'm not out for ultimate speeds, certainly not from traffic light to traffic light.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So to sum up...there are trade offs to more mechanical grip.

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
wide tires in the front is a NO NO IMO... i have 265 35 18s in the front.. and every little groove in the road the car gets sucked into.. its annoying compared to stock.. and its easy to look like you're driving drunk.
And a +2 to this. There is a certain stretch of new highway with rain grooves in the cement that make my car swerve a bit. I always worry it makes me look like a drunk driver.