Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Fatlace article on fake wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010 | 05:27 PM
NugeTRON

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I'll add this to my earlier thought. I do go to hellaflush every once in a while if I'm bored in class. I've never seen such a self-congratulatory group of people in my life. All it takes to be legit with that crew is to have a retarded suspension set up, and some Fatlace and Illest stickers on your windows. Maybe throw a Yakima rack on the room for some extra cred. Their idea of pushing the envelope is having an extra .5" or so of lip on your wheels. Sweet...

If you don't like what they're doing, you're a hater

I've actually seen people on S2Ki that will refuse to give out information about their offset because someone else can use it then.

I'm not in favor of fake wheels just like I'm not in favor of fake watches or sunglasses, but the HF crew are too trendy for their own good, and before long, that style will be dead just like the Altezza lights and rusted hood craze.
You just blew my ****in mind! You hit the nail on the head with that one
Old 10-04-2010 | 05:31 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I like the 2nd edit:
"Edit 2 After much debate, we’ve come up with a solution where we hope everyone will be happy with. Featured Cars (these are the cars we contact to do a particular photoshoot) – Must be rocking the real deal while with Readers rides, Reps will be ok as long as cars fit the mold."

That's the way it should be if you want to be featured.
Old 10-04-2010 | 05:35 PM
Nexx

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
Nexx is the Chuck Norris of herrafrush and fake wheel threads.... You will never beat him.
Old 10-04-2010 | 05:45 PM
ZS14RR

No me importa,me vale verga!
Old 10-04-2010 | 05:51 PM
hwcustoms

Originally Posted by ZS14
No me importa,me vale verga!

Si no te importa ¿por què despues?
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:05 PM
TSG-Z

Waiting on the Varrs advocates...
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:11 PM
ZS14RR

Si no te importa ¿por què despues?
porque es mi carro y son mis gustos.
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:22 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Self congratulatory describes just about all
forums.

I prefer genuine stuff to any reproduction be it for my car or anything else, but to each his own. What I do find odd is when someone tries to fake it with stickers, or when they claim their replica is every bit as good as the genuine. Beyond that, I know fake from real but recognize that the need to have real isn't a priority for everyone.
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:28 PM
hwcustoms

Entonces, ¿què estilo te gusta? Soló era una broma de todos modos.
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:29 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

couldn't care , but not of fan of ADR, XXR, Tenzo and some of the other craptastic wheels.
Old 10-04-2010 | 06:38 PM
Ziggyrama

I strongly disagree with a statement that companies that develop the original wheels are bleeding large amounts of money out because of the copy cats. A customer that buys Rota wheels that look just like Volks wasn't in the market for the Volks to begin with. Calvin Klein isn't loosing money because of Walmart, no matter how similar their t-shirts look like. Different market segments, different consumer base.

If you own a set of authentic wheels and you're upset about replicas, ask yourself, why are you really mad? Are those other wheels compromising your performance or is it about something else?

BTW, I don't own replicas. I love my Rays because they're strong and very light, something you can't get from an inferior, cast wheel...but I couldn't care less if someone drives Rotas, ADRs, etc. It's their choice. If rota made a wheel that weighed less than my current wheels, was durable and in 19" size, I'd use it. Why not? The problem is, to make a wheel that is strong and is light, it has to be forged and forging is a much more expensive manufacturing process. Hence, forged wheels cost more. If you choose a cast wheel, it will either be heavier or weaker or both. It is really that simple.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 10-04-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:09 PM
Silly Wabbit

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I strongly disagree with a statement that companies that develop the original wheels are bleeding large amounts of money out because of the copy cats. A customer that buys Rota wheels that look just like Volks wasn't in the market for the Volks to begin with. Calvin Klein isn't loosing money because of Walmart, no matter how similar their t-shirts look like. Different market segments, different consumer base.

If you own a set of authentic wheels and you're upset about replicas, ask yourself, why are you really mad? Are those other wheels compromising your performance or is it about something else?

BTW, I don't own replicas. I love my Rays because they're strong and very light, something you can't get from an inferior, cast wheel...but I couldn't care less if someone drives Rotas, ADRs, etc. It's their choice. If rota made a wheel that weighed less than my current wheels, was durable and in 19" size, I'd use it. Why not? The problem is, to make a wheel that is strong and is light, it has to be forged and forging is a much more expensive manufacturing process. Hence, forged wheels cost more. If you choose a cast wheel, it will either be heavier or weaker or both. It is really that simple.
Just want to clear something up... forged wheels don't necessarily be lighter and stronger than cast. Just take Enkei for example. They have quality cast track wheels that are even lighter than forged.

Nonetheless, very well put and I couldn't agree more about companies losing an arm or a leg because of replicas is just bull. Of course, I personally would prefer the real thing over the reps simply because of the structural integrity of the wheel. But I don't track or ANYTHING close to that serious of driving so I can't justify dumping thousands into a set. I've been rocking daily on Rotas and they've been fine. I bought them because they are good looking (rep) wheels and they fit my ride and for a fraction of the genuine price, so why would I care what brand they are? I wholeheartedly agree function > form, but where is the function for daily driving? As long as I don't try to pass them on as the real thing, I really don't see what the problem is. A wheel = a wheel but unless you track, then strong wheel > weak wheel. And depending how serious you track, my guess is that the knock off Rota will do just fine. All those Volk/Work/etc ***** sound like the genuine wheels are God-like and unbreakable or something.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:29 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
I'll add this to my earlier thought. I do go to hellaflush every once in a while if I'm bored in class. I've never seen such a self-congratulatory group of people in my life. All it takes to be legit with that crew is to have a retarded suspension set up, and some Fatlace and Illest stickers on your windows. Maybe throw a Yakima rack on the room for some extra cred. Their idea of pushing the envelope is having an extra .5" or so of lip on your wheels. Sweet...

If you don't like what they're doing, you're a hater

I've actually seen people on S2Ki that will refuse to give out information about their offset because someone else can use it then.

I'm not in favor of fake wheels just like I'm not in favor of fake watches or sunglasses, but the HF crew are too trendy for their own good, and before long, that style will be dead just like the Altezza lights and rusted hood craze.
Very well said. Agreed on all points!
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:42 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit
Just want to clear something up... forged wheels don't necessarily be lighter and stronger than cast. Just take Enkei for example. They have quality cast track wheels that are even lighter than forged.

i hope you aren't talking about enkei rpf1s. they are very easy to bend, trust me. lightweight is there, quality is not.

For the people who say they don't' have enough money, no one knows how to save money anymore these days?

I might not make a lot of money and should not be spending money on cars period but if you actually cut out all of the dumb stuff like eating out, going out, drinking at the bar...just do this for a month or whatever and you will have enough to basically buy anything you want.

People i meet on the streets usually think i get paid very well, i tell them i just know how to save. I'm not saying to starve yourself and dress like a bum but people literally throw away money every month and not even realizing it.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:47 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i hope you aren't talking about enkei rpf1s. they are very easy to bend, trust me. lightweight is there, quality is not.

For the people who say they don't' have enough money, no one knows how to save money anymore these days?

I might not make a lot of money and should not be spending money on cars period but if you actually cut out all of the dumb stuff like eating out, going out, drinking at the bar...just do this for a month or whatever and you will have enough to basically buy anything you want.

People i meet on the streets usually think i get paid very well, i tell them i just know how to save. I'm not saying to starve yourself and dress like a bum but people literally throw away money every month and not even realizing it.
You forget... we live in the "Age of Credit," where everyone is spoiled with the "I WANT IT NOW," attitude.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:52 PM
hwcustoms

Can't agree more. I really do believe this is why people get upset about replica wheels. Some people actually take the time to save their hard earned money, and buy a high quality set of wheels.
Old 10-04-2010 | 07:57 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Nexx is the Chuck Norris of herrafrush and fake wheel threads.... You will never beat him.
+1... I hate on replicas as much as the mods will allow me too
Old 10-04-2010 | 08:01 PM
hwcustoms

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
+1... I hate on replicas as much as the mods will allow me too

I wondered what took you so long to get here.
Old 10-04-2010 | 08:15 PM
Silly Wabbit

Is that from personal experience or wiki?

I rather have a good time and pocket some of the change than to dump thousands so my ride can be ballin'. Same thing with people that live in crappy apartments and spend their paychecks on payments on a stunning car. Everything is achievable through some wise saving but spending it wisely aka knowing priority is the key. I'm not saying you blew your hard earn savings into a set of wheels, but I'm just saying they are a bit overrated in my book. As long as they are affordable and functional then I'm a happy camper.
Old 10-04-2010 | 09:59 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

I wondered what took you so long to get here.
LOL.. just woke up.

Quick Reply: Fatlace article on fake wheels...