Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Put on new rear tires now car is difficult to control

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sidewall stiffness is a function of design, not a tire specification. There's nothing to mark them as such. One of the complaints by many people is that the Potenzas had a harsh ride, but those of us who autocrossed on them loved them because of the stiff sidewall (which caused the harsh ride).

There were people who switched to the Toyo Proxies and raved at how smooth the ride was (softer sidewall) but soon discovered how bad they handled, i.e. on the track, autox or in emergency manuvers.

I hate to say this might just be a case where you have a tire that isn't well suited to the Z. I doubt there's a quantitive way to measure or detect the problem - it's just something that shows up in use.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Sidewall stiffness is a function of design, not a tire specification. There's nothing to mark them as such. One of the complaints by many people is that the Potenzas had a harsh ride, but those of us who autocrossed on them loved them because of the stiff sidewall (which caused the harsh ride).

There were people who switched to the Toyo Proxies and raved at how smooth the ride was (softer sidewall) but soon discovered how bad they handled, i.e. on the track, autox or in emergency manuvers.

I hate to say this might just be a case where you have a tire that isn't well suited to the Z. I doubt there's a quantitive way to measure or detect the problem - it's just something that shows up in use.
I like the harsh ride - it's a symptom of a performance car.

The reason I started this thread was cause I felt it was unsafe in an emergency situation on the freeway - as you described others reported. Id have to say it feels like the tires can't keep up with the car. Strangest thing. After the car rebounds it continues to wobble under the chassis, especially at higher speeds. If it breaks loose I'm not too sure I could catch it. I used to be very confident about that.

Is there are tire that anyone could recommend that has a strong sidewall by design and a higher treadwear? I can't keep these things on the car but for the cost the potenza re040 just wear out too quick for a daily driver.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what ended up happening? Did new tires solve the problem? I have the same problem now. I have Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions in the front and I just put RE970AS Pole Positions in the back. The car SUCKS now.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with ps2's...and to be honest i liked the potenzas better so go figure.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i went with ps2's...and to be honest i liked the potenzas better so go figure.
I still have those Hankooks on and I still hate them. Cheap $300/set tires. They sure do have a lot of tread on them still...

I shouldn't have even wondered - it's high tread wear cheap Korean tire vs. a performance American y rated sticky $1000/set. I lost so much performance that I started this thread in hopes something wasn't seriously wrong with my car...besides those crap tires being attached to my wheels.

Given the price of a comparible tire ($800-1200 / set) and the price of the real deal Potenza RE 040 at Costco ($900 installed), I'm very aware of what my next set will be.