Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

XXR 522 - Can I get away with these offsets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I think davidv and terrasmak have given some pretty good guidance here, so I won't rehash any of it.

In case it helps as a reference point, here is a setup with 19x9.5 +22 offset front wheels, and 19x10.5 +12 net offset rear wheels. The front tires are 255/35/19 and the rears are 285/35/19:

Now the reason I said the rear wheels are +12 net offset is because the wheel itself is +22 offset, but I installed a 10mm spacer behind the wheel which has the net effect of making the offset 10mm more negative (i.e. pushes the wheels farther out).

I had to roll my rear fenders to fit +22 offset with a 285/35/19 tire (so of course with +12 offset you definitely need to roll the fenders). I would guess that if you run a 275/35/19 tire on a 10.5 wide wheel with +22 offset, you will not have any problems with tires rubbing fenders.

Here's another thing to keep in mind: regardless of wheel width, the offset determines where the centerline of the wheel sits in space, i.e. whether you have a 7" wide wheel with +30mm offset or a 10" wide wheel with +30mm offset, the centerline of the wheel is 30mm away from the wheel mounting surface in either case. The tire will mount on the wheel such that the centerline of the tire aligns with the centerline of the wheel, so that means in both cases the centerline of the tire is also 30mm away from the wheel mounting surface. For a given offset, any difference in wheel and/or tire width only changes the amount of wheel and/or tire extended equally from each side of the wheel/tire centerline.

Last edited by sry110; 05-04-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
BYBYCOP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, you guys' rims look very nice. I took a look at that link to the Rota Grid's for sale...I like those too. I see what you guys are talking about now. It makes a lot of sense. But what I dont get is, why do cheaper wheels have such high offsets, like I'm looking online right now and all the wheels that are $120 to $150 have offsets of 45 to 50mm...but then you get to the more expensive wheels, and as the price goes up the offset goes down. I tried putting the 45 in the offset calculator and it said that the wheel would be 15mm inside the wheel well which I'm assuming is negative, and poping out of the wheel well is positive.

Nonetheless, thank you guys very much. I'll probably revisit this forum or post a new one when I get a few GOOD choices, just to get your opinions. I'm definitely grateful to all of you...had I not posted on here, I would have thrown away a lot of money and not been happy. So, again...thank you.

Terrasmak and Syrn110 - What brand/type of wheels do you guys have?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:44 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BYBYCOP
Damn, you guys' rims look very nice. I took a look at that link to the Rota Grid's for sale...I like those too. I see what you guys are talking about now. It makes a lot of sense. But what I dont get is, why do cheaper wheels have such high offsets, like I'm looking online right now and all the wheels that are $120 to $150 have offsets of 45 to 50mm...but then you get to the more expensive wheels, and as the price goes up the offset goes down. I tried putting the 45 in the offset calculator and it said that the wheel would be 15mm inside the wheel well which I'm assuming is negative, and poping out of the wheel well is positive.

Nonetheless, thank you guys very much. I'll probably revisit this forum or post a new one when I get a few GOOD choices, just to get your opinions. I'm definitely grateful to all of you...had I not posted on here, I would have thrown away a lot of money and not been happy. So, again...thank you.

Terrasmak and Syrn110 - What brand/type of wheels do you guys have?
I think the price-to-offset relationship is based on the types of cars that typically run high-offset wheels, i.e. Honda, Mazda, Toyota, etc. The average Honda Civic owner is not looking to spend thousands on wheels, so aftermarket companies pop up that make very affordable wheels.

Regarding offset: keep in mind that as offset becomes more negative, the wheel moves farther toward the outside of the car. So if its true according to the offset calculator that the 45mm offset wheel sits 15mm inside the wheel well, then a 30mm offset wheel would be 0 mm (or flush) from the outer surface of the wheel well.

My wheels are Rays / Volk CE28n, which are above your budget. Rota makes a replica model called DPT which might be had for about $1000 per set new, even cheaper if you find them used.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I run a set of Enkei NT03's and a set of Enkei RPF1's. Also a bit more than your price range but great wheels for the price. New they cost about $1300, and they can be found for that price with tires used.