Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Catastrophic wheel failure @ 25mph & Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
You can get a set of RPF1's for about 1100-1300 shipped to you... if you saved your money this long, just wait a little longer. I completely get you can't drop $4k for some Volks but the price difference between the Varrcrap and Enkei's isnt that much.
This
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
First thing to point out is the fact the BMW guys usually run a lower profile like 30's on a 19"... On a heavy a$$ BMW wheel issues don't surprise me.. Shizz my friend who has a M5 goes through OEM wheels like no other driving on NYC streets.. I think even Benz sells wheel insurance on AMG models. Sux either way
Those are all facts but how many Hellaflush guys destroy rims to that magnitude? and they run tires that are borderline unsafe?.. Not many. Most of them run quality wheels and though you see bent lips it is very very very rare that you'd see a reputable wheel suffer that kind of damage even at 70mph(Highway speeds). I've said this before... LM's were engineered as a 2-piece wheel, never a cast one piece. Combine poor quality metallurgy, poor craftsmanship, and the fact the wheels were not designed to be single piece wheels... you have wheels that are just waiting to blow up.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

One other thing of note... I'd like to know if he has any damage on either the front bumper or the side skirts. The reason I say that is... unless his M3(it's really low in his avatar) has Jeep type suspension articulation, it would be impossible to hit a pothole that "gave way" and not damage those 2 body parts I mentioned.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I HATE...just HATE people that buy rep wheels....oh wait
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
zerafian

Those are all facts but how many Hellaflush guys destroy rims to that magnitude? and they run tires that are borderline unsafe?.. Not many. Most of them run quality wheels and though you see bent lips it is very very very rare that you'd see a reputable wheel suffer that kind of damage even at 70mph(Highway speeds). I've said this before... LM's were engineered as a 2-piece wheel, never a cast one piece. Combine poor quality metallurgy, poor craftsmanship, and the fact the wheels were not designed to be single piece wheels... you have wheels that are just waiting to blow up.
dont forget those guys running wheel and tire set ups like hellaflush swerve to avoid acorns on the road too...they are much more aware of whats going on ground level.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

True My old Volk GTC's lived through hell on NJ-NYC roads and always stayed straight and together
Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thats why i rock xxr's lol
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
drivessidewayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Novesh
not enough cameras on that car.
My thoughts exactly

First thing to point out is the fact the BMW guys usually run a lower profile like 30's on a 19"... On a heavy a$$ BMW wheel issues don't surprise me.. Shizz my friend who has a M5 goes through OEM wheels like no other driving on NYC streets.. I think even Benz sells wheel insurance on AMG models. Sux either way
I run 30s on 18s all day Also M3s aren't all that heavy; their curb weight is around 3.6-3.7k which puts them at only 100 lbs or so more than our convertibles. According to 2 minutes of research anyway.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
shaddy-z.

You can get a set of RPF1's for about 1100-1300 shipped to you... if you saved your money this long, just wait a little longer. I completely get you can't drop $4k for some Volks but the price difference between the Varrcrap and Enkei's isnt that much.
Yeah I completely understand. This thread has pretty much changed my mind. Id much rather have a real wheel but I would like to wait for some used local ones or used ones in general. I love everything about rpf1s except the fact that everybody and their mom runs them. Also I will be stretching tires on, and an aggressive fit. So I need to take all that into consideration as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

There are several sets of NICE and FORGED wheels for sale in the Marketplace right now for 1500-2000 dollars. Volks and DPEs...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
06hsv350z

pics of the pot (sink) hole??
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
shaddy-z.

Originally Posted by phreaktor
There are several sets of NICE and FORGED wheels for sale in the Marketplace right now for 1500-2000 dollars. Volks and DPEs...
Yeah I've checking them out lately. I'm looking to get a wheel/tire combo under 2000 at least. 1800 preferred
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
Yeah I completely understand. This thread has pretty much changed my mind. Id much rather have a real wheel but I would like to wait for some used local ones or used ones in general. I love everything about rpf1s except the fact that everybody and their mom runs them. Also I will be stretching tires on, and an aggressive fit. So I need to take all that into consideration as well.
Good... my work is done here.

True My old Volk GTC's lived through hell on NJ-NYC roads and always stayed straight and together
Roads in Downtown Miami aren't as bad as NJ/NYC but they're pretty bad... The only set of wheels that have yet to see a hole in the road(4 speed bumps and counting) are my VSXX's. My Volks hit a man hole cover that the asphalt around it had been leveled so it was sticking out about 1-1.5 inches at probably 60mph and my LM's hit a piece of 2x4 at 90mph(highway at 0300), those two incidences are the ones that come to mind and my Z has had:

BBS RGR's
BBS LM's
Enkei RPFI
Work VSXX
Volk TE37's

Never had I had a crack, bend, or any type of damage that made my heart sink b/c I thought I broke a wheel(cracked my chargespeed lip though).

Originally Posted by zerafian
dont forget those guys running wheel and tire set ups like hellaflush swerve to avoid acorns on the road too...they are much more aware of whats going on ground level.
Yes this is a true statement but I don't think they've avoided every single pothole, every time either... so at some point with stretched tires, stupid offsets, and gum scrapping low they've hit at least one or two good sized holes. A crack in the barrel, bend in the lip, maybe the sealant between the lip and the barrel goes... but not a complete separation like the one pictured at it's strongest point.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
KTran

in my experiences in drifting and daily driving... I use real wheels and fake wheels all the time. theres more to the story than whats being said.

from the op, he said a 2" pothole which the pavement broke into a 2feet pothole from his car's weight...
2feet=24inches...the manhole formed was bigger than his wheels!

im no expert but, 25mph full on, no brakes, into a 2ft hole is a very hard impact for any wheel. Also, im from new orleans, not sure how many of u know about this city, but its FULL of pot and manholes.

IMO, to me, a bent to shyte forged "real "wheel is as usesless as a shattered knockoff.

Im not tryin argue the subject on real vs fake but the situation has more to the story than whats said and yes, i agree...you get what you pay for.
oh, if a person cant afford new real wheels, then why not buy used authentics instead of knockoffs?

figure i share my input,
good day ya'll.

Last edited by KTran; 06-28-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by KTran
IMO, to me, a bent to shyte forged "real "wheel is as usesless as a shattered knockoff.
Drifter or not... that's not an intelligent statement. So your telling me that at 40-50mph that it doesn't matter to you if your wheel shatters or bends.. It's all the same to you? Yes the wheel is rendered useless but you can at least get to safe place on a bent forged wheel rather then pray to god no one is around you when your knock off shatters and you can't move the car.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Your car, Your budget, your wheels, YOUR LIFE

I just dont see why people get so bent out of shape bc of debates like this
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats effin crazy. typical replicas

i was at formula D that day when the mustang crashed. it was pretty scary what happened, glad the driver was ok.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
zerafian

Yes this is a true statement but I don't think they've avoided every single pothole, every time either... so at some point with stretched tires, stupid offsets, and gum scrapping low they've hit at least one or two good sized holes. A crack in the barrel, bend in the lip, maybe the sealant between the lip and the barrel goes... but not a complete separation like the one pictured at it's strongest point.
totally true...I definitely wasnt down playing the situation.