Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TSW JARAMA - Got a BIG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
marchockey13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSW JARAMA - Got a BIG Problem

Hey everyone. First of all, the problem is not the wheels, atleast i dont think so. I bought TSW JARAMA wheels for my 350z roadster, and everything went good so far. They were installed at canadian tire (Nissan dealership was closed).

Suddenly, i kept hearing a noise from the rear left wheel. I heard the noise everytime i braked, and i knew it was the wheel because i would hear the sound once everytime the wheel made a turn (so if i go fast and brake, i hear it repeatedly and quickly, then it slows down and then it stops when i stop)

So i went back to canadian tire and guess what? Rear left wheel, 5 out of the 5 bolts were loose, and the right rear wheel, 2 of the 5 bolts were loose! TERRIBLE! Anyways, they tightened all of them and i didnt hear a thing for the last 3 days. Tonight i drove it and BAM, im hearing it again from the same left rear wheel.

Could it be the bolts? I used the TSW Jarama ones! What the hell can it be ? Whats wrong? Please help me, and im telling you right now, i appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How are we supposed to diagnose "a noise" ?

Could be any number of things.

First of all buy a torque wrench and learn to torque your own lug nuts. Then get the car up on a lift and see if you can replicate the sound while turning the wheel. Or take the car somewhere they know what they're doing and aren't trying to kill you with loose lug nuts.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM
marchockey13

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
How are we supposed to diagnose "a noise" ?

Could be any number of things.

First of all buy a torque wrench and learn to torque your own lug nuts. Then get the car up on a lift and see if you can replicate the sound while turning the wheel. Or take the car somewhere they know what they're doing and aren't trying to kill you with loose lug nuts.
its not just the sound , its the fact that the wheel becomes loose 2 days after they tightened them again. Could be the bolts but jeez i used the TSW bolts
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you didn't say they got loose a second time. like I said, learn to torque them yourself. maybe you need new wheel studs and better lug nuts, hard to comment just based on one statement by you and not having a clue what the possibly-life-endangering shop you took them to did to them.

that may or may not have anything to do with the sound, which is undiagnosable as it stands now.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
ASpecTL

I know those lugnuts came with the wheels so this shouldn't be the problem but check to see if the seals match correctly and I'm with Wired 24/7, torque your own wheels down.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Since the lug nuts came with the wheels, are you certain they are 12X125 size needed by your Z? Wrong size lug nuts tend to loosen quickly.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you checked the lug nuts to see if they are loose?

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by marchockey13
Could it be the bolts? I used the TSW Jarama ones! What the hell can it be ? Whats wrong? Please help me, and im telling you right now, i appreciate it!
Did you take out a lug wrench and check? It looks like the Jarama requires tuner style lug nuts, did you receive a key with the set? While your in there getting your hands dirty; did the company you bought these wheels from provide you with hub rings? Looks like the Jarama has a 72mm center bore whereas the Z has a 66.1mm. Good luck with your modifying, a little research on what your buying may help in the future
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm sure you experienced first hand what the noise is. It's the bolts working loose. Just get a long breaker bar, or a large tire iron and torque them down tight, but not "as hard as you can" tight or you will have a hard time getting them off. Also, spin the lugs by hand like halfway down the studs, and make sure they hardly wiggle around on the stud. If they dance around sloppily (lol), then it's pretty obvious they are the wrong size. Also, check the threads on the studs/bolts and make sure they aren't any signs of stripping.

**Man.... dance, sloppily, and stripping in the same post, where's my mind.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM
NissanZ03

+1 on checking the right lug nut size and if you have the proper hubcentric rings
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Get Your Wheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

At the bottom of the lug nut the thread pitch should be stamped. Make sure it says 12x1.25

Also make sure you have a conical seat and not a ball seat lug nut.