Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Winter Wheel & Tire Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Submariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn all 4 18x8. No plans to scrap the OEM just was hoping to get a set of better rims for summer and run OEM's in winter. Figured if I could get the tires and a set of rims for the same price as a set of new tires (Winter) it would be a great deal.

Last edited by Submariner; 10-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Submariner

i took a pass thanks for the advise.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I have a 2003 Performance model 350z equipped with VDC.

During the winter I run Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless tires, 225/55-17” (all-square setup so I can rotate the tires).

The OEM sizes for 17” wheels:
225/50-17” front
235/50-17” rear

My 225/55-17” tires match the rear OEM 235/50-17”. I have not had any problems with this setup.

What you should not do is mount 225/50-17” tires (the OEM front size) all around if you have a VDC equipped car.

Hope this info is helpful… --Spike

Originally Posted by jonnyrockets07
I could measure but I'm ordering them from a shop and don't have the luxury of measuring them before purchasing. I was just seeing if anyone had a setup that they ran successfully on a VDC enabled Z and could give me some advice =)

I read through the thread and see 225/50/17 front 235/50/17 is the common winter size for 17" rims, But I hear we're supposed to get a lot of snow this year.. I'm thinking I should go for something less fat than a 235 rear..

Has anyone ran anything with a 225 or 215 rear on 17's without causing VDC problems?

Let me know! Thanks =)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
SnoXRacer183

Do the base model 17x7.5 wheels clear the '03 350Z Track Brembos? I'd like to run these for winter if they fit

These:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM
tennis_pr0

Default winter tires question

Hey guys, so the woman i bought the car off of gave me her set of winter tires she bought for her car, they were practically brand new. I have a 2006 touring auto. Two questions. The tires are all the same size, is that how they are suppose to be because they are winter tires? I know my snow tires are wider in the back i believe. Also, will the performance on the car still be good with the snow tires? I mean will i still be able to whip it around on the back roads and turns or will i have to be more careful with these tires? Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tennis_pr0
Hey guys, so the woman i bought the car off of gave me her set of winter tires she bought for her car, they were practically brand new. I have a 2006 touring auto. Two questions. The tires are all the same size, is that how they are suppose to be because they are winter tires? I know my snow tires are wider in the back i believe. Also, will the performance on the car still be good with the snow tires? I mean will i still be able to whip it around on the back roads and turns or will i have to be more careful with these tires? Thanks guys!
Typically, snow tires should be more narrow then normal tires, due to trying to have the least resistance against the snow. Mine are staggered since I bought a set of touring wheels from a 03 but if I were to buy a set myself brand new, I would probably opt for a square setup like yours. What are the tire sizes?

Also, in my own experience with my snow tires, I had to calm down my driving alot. My summer tires (G-Forces) are very sticky, and even have great grip when the car starts to step out. On the other hand, the first time I pushed my snow tires a little too hard, once the back tires stepped out, I lost all grip and spun around. Luckily it was a huge road and nobody was around me. Snow tires are not meant for hard driving, they are meant to give basic grip in dry and wet conditions and better grip in snow and ice conditions. Also know that snow tires wear faster than summer or all-season tires on dry roads, well that is my observation.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 AM
tennis_pr0

Thanks for the reply. I don't even know the name of the tires she gave me, but they are very meaty and have a lot of tread. That sucks I wont be able to push the car like I do with the summer tires, but oh well.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM
SQuaLZ

Thanks for the reply. I don't even know the name of the tires she gave me, but they are very meaty and have a lot of tread. That sucks I wont be able to push the car like I do with the summer tires, but oh well.
Keep in mind that you should never push summer tires in the winter either if you were to keep them on. Summer tires are made to operate between certain road temperatures, which you would be below in the winter months.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM
R350Zz33

i see another thanksgiving i hit a fence thread comming soon
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 AM
tennis_pr0

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
i see another thanksgiving i hit a fence thread comming soon
I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to do anything before I feel out the tires. I will certainly drive the car more conservatively until I can gauge it's limitations. Keep your rude comments to yourself please, thanks.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, will the performance on the car still be good with the snow tires? I mean will i still be able to whip it around on the back roads and turns or will i have to be more careful with these tires?
OP, you're asking to get with those comments. You better learn fast or they'll eat you alive, just like Dugan.

I would highly suggest not whipping any vehicle around in winter conditions. You're asking to get yourself and others hurt by not driving properly on public roads.

FYI, the name of the tires should be on the sidewall.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM
tennis_pr0

I didn't mean whipping it around when its icy wet or snowy out, i meant when the conditions are dry.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Typically, snow tires should be more narrow then normal tires, due to trying to have the least resistance against the snow. Mine are staggered since I bought a set of touring wheels from a 03 but if I were to buy a set myself brand new, I would probably opt for a square setup like yours. What are the tire sizes?

Also, in my own experience with my snow tires, I had to calm down my driving alot. My summer tires (G-Forces) are very sticky, and even have great grip when the car starts to step out. On the other hand, the first time I pushed my snow tires a little too hard, once the back tires stepped out, I lost all grip and spun around. Luckily it was a huge road and nobody was around me. Snow tires are not meant for hard driving, they are meant to give basic grip in dry and wet conditions and better grip in snow and ice conditions. Also know that snow tires wear faster than summer or all-season tires on dry roads, well that is my observation.
+1

I don't think you're gonna be able to drive very spirited in the snow haha.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
R350Zz33

I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to do anything before I feel out the tires. I will certainly drive the car more conservatively until I can gauge it's limitations. Keep your rude comments to yourself please, thanks.
i live in america as do you long live the rude comments we shall see if you make it through the winter then you can tell me off
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 AM
tennis_pr0

Yesterday was the first time driving the car with the winter tires on. The main thing I noticed was a rougher ride and more road noise. Other than that I still had fine grip. I could whip it around a turn just as I could with the summer tires. It was about 35 degress out, which is about as cold as it will get here IN Philadelphia for the most part. Dry conditions. We don't get much snow so I'm not worried about snow at all.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
tennis_pr0

I just looked at the tires, and they are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 245/40 R18. This is is what all four tires are. Can anyone comment on these tires?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
tennis_pr0

I should rephrase my original question. I was just wondering how conservatively I have to drive in cold temperatures with the winter tires. I mean do I have to watch every turn or can I just basically drive it like I normally would?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
SQuaLZ

I should rephrase my original question. I was just wondering how conservatively I have to drive in cold temperatures with the winter tires. I mean do I have to watch every turn or can I just basically drive it like I normally would?
Nobody knows what your normal driving is except for you. As I said before, the tires do not grip anywhere near what the summer tires grip in the summer. It's like apples to oranges.

Please keep your VDC or TCS on all winter or else you will regret it.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM
tennis_pr0

I know TCS is what is VDC?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM
SQuaLZ

I know TCS is what is VDC?
What submodel is your Z?

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel & Tire Setup Questions