Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Mounting Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM
JSON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Mounting Damage?

So this past weekend, I got a set of new tires on my BBS wheels. Now my wheels weren't in perfect condition, but it was pretty good, a small curb mark and a small chip in the center of one of the wheels.

I just want to be sure that they did the damage, because I do not recall seeing all of these marks until after I had my tires put on. But I don't have any before pictures to prove it. And I only noticed this damage after I left the shop while getting my car aligned, because they also lost my BBS valve stem caps that I specifically told them not to lose and I was busy looking for those when they were done (never found). All 4 wheels are damaged, pretty much exactly the same way, around the same radius.

Onto the pics....

Tire Mounting Damage?-83hihh.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-r2dyeh.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-4fppfh.jpg

This one goes all the around the rim.
Tire Mounting Damage?-rlhemh.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-qrmfbh.jpg

Tire Mounting Damage?-wvzw0h.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-fdltdh.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-obfqqh.jpg
Tire Mounting Damage?-ihlrvh.jpg

I'm gonna call them, but I'm not sure if they're even going to take responsibility or do anything. What even can be done? Repainting is gonna be a subpar job, and it'll prob chipping within a year....

Thanks

Last edited by JSON; 07-11-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
supraturboman

Yes it was from the tire mounting machine. I manage a very well known tire shop and this saddens me. Go back, be polite and respectful and they should take care of it.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM
JSON

Originally Posted by supraturboman
Yes it was from the tire mounting machine. I manage a very well known tire shop and this saddens me. Go back, be polite and respectful and they should take care of it.
I'll try my best. I don't have the time to go in personally this week, so I was just going to call them and let them know before it's too late. I don't want it to be like a week and a half after I had it done before I mention it to them.

But what can they do? They can repaint it, but then I'm afraid it's just going to start peeling in a year or two. I don't know if that's a good solution.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by JSON
I'll try my best. I don't have the time to go in personally this week, so I was just going to call them and let them know before it's too late. I don't want it to be like a week and a half after I had it done before I mention it to them.

But what can they do? They can repaint it, but then I'm afraid it's just going to start peeling in a year or two. I don't know if that's a good solution.
I have had a few incidents like this before, it happens. Now iv have taken the wheels to a body shop and have had them repainted. And to my knowledge it is holding up just fine.
And yes, call them asap. Even text them pictures right away as well. But as I said, be polite the whole time. They are more likely to help you if you are cool with them, as opposed to just ranting and yelling at them.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM
JSON

Originally Posted by supraturboman
I have had a few incidents like this before, it happens. Now iv have taken the wheels to a body shop and have had them repainted. And to my knowledge it is holding up just fine.
And yes, call them asap. Even text them pictures right away as well. But as I said, be polite the whole time. They are more likely to help you if you are cool with them, as opposed to just ranting and yelling at them.
Yeah. The manager didn't have anything to do with some stupid kid treating alloys like steelies. I'll offer to email them the pics during the phone call. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
supraturboman

Yeah. The manager didn't have anything to do with some stupid kid treating alloys like steelies. I'll offer to email them the pics during the phone call. Thanks!
No problem. Goodluck
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same thing happen years ago on some Enkei wheels. The manager offered to have it refinished, but I insisted on replacement (only one wheel). They were much cheaper than a BBS wheel, but nonetheless you paid for nice wheels and you try to keep them nice. Good luck with the shop.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the same thing happened to me, its def some noob installers. I posted a hate comment on yelp the same day, and the manager called me and offered to get them fixed. Just call them and let them know.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM
JSON

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
I had the same thing happen years ago on some Enkei wheels. The manager offered to have it refinished, but I insisted on replacement (only one wheel). They were much cheaper than a BBS wheel, but nonetheless you paid for nice wheels and you try to keep them nice. Good luck with the shop.
Originally Posted by stevehl
the same thing happened to me, its def some noob installers. I posted a hate comment on yelp the same day, and the manager called me and offered to get them fixed. Just call them and let them know.
Yeah my worry is that fixing it won't be the same as OEM paint. It will be subpar. But I don't even know if I can even buy these anymore.

Ugh. Never going to Discount Tire again.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
supraturboman

Yeah my worry is that fixing it won't be the same as OEM paint. It will be subpar. But I don't even know if I can even buy these anymore.

Ugh. Never going to Discount Tire again.
If you go to a quality body shop, then there should be no issue.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^this

You always want to make it a point to check out their mounting machine and check to see if they are using the teflon mountint "arm" or whatever they are called. Some places dont and just have a metal arm that will scratch up the lip of the wheel. Usually if they have the right plastic peice to protect the lip this shouldnt happen
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Definitely looks like mounting damage. Luckily it looks repairable, and I think if you bring it up to their attention they should be able to help you out.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM
JSON

Update: I called and talked to the manager (assistant manager sounded nicer). He was unapologetic and made me seem like I was bothering him (I never raised my voice or attacked him, just stated that my wheels were damaged from mounting). He said to bring it in, saying that if it is indeed damaged from mounting, it'll be "obvious". I asked what he would do, and he said something to the lines "if it's my fault, I'll fix it, if not, I won't". So....we'll see when I bring it in this weekend.

Does anyone know of any BS excuses they'll give me and how to fight back? For example, it's curb rash or road damage.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

There's always going to be that chance that it could be blamed on road hazards, curb rash, etc.

As someone that sees tires getting mounted and balanced every day, and seeing the pictures, I can say that to me it looks like mounting damage. I also think that they may deny that it was them since you drove the car off the property, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks quite about right.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the same issue. A lot of the time the same machine can or cannot damage a tire with that ring based on the tech that does the work. My tire shop confirmed the same. My local shop uses microfiber towels to protect from that scuffing. They should pay the tab.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Lee R

You should always check your wheels before AND after you get new tires installed just because this could happen. Never just assume that everything is 100% whether it is new tires or an oil change. Always inspect.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sad to see that mounting/dismounting damage is so prevalent. I have heard lots of horror stories, including this one, and have dealt with it first hand as well.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did your wheels look perfect before the install? Cuz thats a **** ton of scratches/rash after. If anything, try to get him to give you a discount on future tire purchases if they dont want to pay for the paint
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM
JSON

Wow. Just went and talked to the manager. Worst experience and the worst customer service.

He looks at them and starts trying to say reasons why it's not his fault. One of his BS reasons was that some of that damage were not at the same radii (all of the damage occurred within a millimeter range on all wheels), so it couldn't have been his mounting machine. I told him to take into account the width of the tool that they were using, the damage wasn't caused by a pinpoint, so the spot of the damages won't be exactly the same (even though most of them are). He laughed at me and said you're not the tire expert, I've been doing this for 10 years.

He also said: why doesn't the damage go all around the radius of the wheel? Why is it that some parts were unscathed? If my tool did it, then the entire radius should be consistently damaged. And why is one of the wheel damage smooth, but others are rough (meaning he could feel the paint peel). He said the damages were "too inconsistent" for him to have done in while mounting. He also said that maybe my paint was already peeling.

So I asked him what could have done it, it's obviously not curb rash, and he said he doesn't know but it's not the mounting because he knows what that looks like. And he added that if it was his fault, he would happily pay for it (and points to a new Nissan wheel he bought for damaging someone else's wheel), but this isn't his fault. He said we were arguing over $200 because apparently he can get the wheels fix for that much.

He started making deals with me. What if I throw in one of the tires for free? No. Okay, I'll pay to fix 2 wheels, you pay the other half. I said I didn't do it, so I'm not paying for it. And then he spouted more BS and kept looking at me and scoffing like I was an idiot when I responded. He would even look at the other employees and try to make me feel like a dumbass accusing him of blowing my engine or something.

I shook his hand, even though I was so angry, and left. He said he'd call me on Monday to see what he can do.

Last edited by JSON; 07-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Mounting Damage?