Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

More than ever, I am very happy I selected HRE wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:17 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so here's the update. Chuck from HRE said they came up with a solution for the TPS mounting. They are using safety wire to attach the TPS to the band. Sounds good. It's been over 3 weeks and I am going nuts.

Here's the bad part......

I have to send the other two tires and have them fixed too. More preventative than anything. They are sending Fed Ex to my house to pick them up and will cover shipping. Pretty cool.....but.... when the sent the wheels to DISCOUNT TIRE to have them mounted and balanced they took out a chunk of rubber from the sidewall or something. They said they would replace the tire but now I have to wait for them to find the right tire!!!!!

Funny when I first had the tires mounted they did the same thing to the other front tire. So now I get two new front tires, which is good but...........I have to wait, wait, wait. Also I will not be able to determine if I have the feathering issue or not.

Maybe when I get it back I'll drive the crap out of it for awhile then maybe trade it in so it doesn't show feathering when I trade/sell it.

I still don't know if it's feathering, doesn't seem to be but with the tire problems I have only put 0n 6500 miles and April 22 will be one year!

What should I do? I love the car but this is starting to bug me and I can afford a nicer car. If this car didn't have these issues it would be a no brainer. Maybe I'll drive it until another problem shows up then bail.

HELP!!!!! I need some reassurance from my Z brothers and sisters.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
MSOsr

Lighten up, Francis!

Seriously, HRE will fix you up and you'll be driving a car that will draw raves from everyone who sees it. Actually, I haven't had any feathering problems since I put my 19" HREs on. [I do have the alignment checked several times a year by Tire Kingdom.]
Old 04-07-2004, 06:37 PM
2003z

Originally posted by 2003z
I wish I went with HRE. I ordered a replacement wheel from iforged on 10/31 and still haven't seen it. They told me a couple weeks ago that it was sent back to the old painter, not the new one, and that it would be done, BUT, they were moving, so don't know when they will get around to shipping it.
Since Oct 31st, still waiting for my iforged to return
Old 04-07-2004, 07:01 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by 2003z
Since Oct 31st, still waiting for my iforged to return
Another iForged horror story. Vince and his cohorts are scum. Why anyone still buys from a$$holes is beyond me.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:54 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

still no Z. Discount Tire said they won't cover the tire since there is no way they caused the damage. I told them that there was no chunk of rubber missing before they touched it. I said how could that happen if it wasn't done by you. They said I may have hit something. "So how is it that there is rubber missing right up to and next to the rim and there is not a single scratch on the rim?"

This is frustrating. Chuck at HRE said he would talk to them and see if he could convince them to replace the tires.

I told him to tell Discount that either:

1. they cause the damaged and they should replace
2. Tire defect (that only happened to show up after they touched them) in that case I have a tire warranty that I purchase from them.

I also told him that I happen to be meeting with my lawyer tomorrow for an unrelated issue. I asked him if I should bother to bring it up to my lawyer just in case we need to go there. He said that shouldn't be necessary. We'll see.

DISCOUNT TIRES DON'T F' WITH ME. I'll return that tire just like in that old commercial. (remember that one where the old lady throws the tire thru the front window?)

OK, OK rant is over..........
Old 04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
MSOsr

Wow, Zh.....my experience with Discount Tire has been unbelievably good. As I mentioned, they did alter my banding system to finally stabilize my TPSs.

Oddly, I did note a small chunk missing from my right rear tire (at the wheel lip) a day or two later. That has now been several months ago and I've had no problem with the tire. Wonder if it has something to do with the machinery they use? It's my understanding the HRE wheels have the tires mounted differently from the standard wheels they usually encounter.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:05 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Yea I think they are reverse mounted. Upside down or something. I had a small chunk out of one tire. They said they would replace the tire but it was less than 1 inch so i let it slide. The other tire has a chunk that is "much bigger" according to Chuck at HRE. Now I want them to replace both. I haven't actually seen the bigger chunk.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

HRE called today. He said that Discount would replace the tires!!!!

Hopefully I will have them next week.

I'm going driving all over the place.

THANK YOU to HRE and DISCOUNT TIRE for stepping up to the plate and taking care of your customers. This whole thing has been a pain and I can't imagine what I would have gone through without their help.

HRE and Discount now has my business.........now and in the future.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
MSOsr

I told you Bob and the boys at HRE are great!

I have nothing but good things to say about my local Discount Tire facility also.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by MSOsr
I told you Bob and the boys at HRE are great!

I have nothing but good things to say about my local Discount Tire facility also.
Now you know why I name the thread what I did.

Jeff - zland
Old 04-21-2004, 05:01 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I ordered my Z Dec 02 and it took until April 03 to get it. It finally came ON my birthday. So last year I was driving my brand new Z on my b-day. Well that's tomorrow and this year I won't be able to drive it on "our" (me and the z's) birthday. sob....sob....

sorry about the pity post.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
jak

Well....I ordered my HREs the same time zland did in fact it was on the same group buy. I have to say that I have a much different experience with my HREs.

I ordered 19" 445s in the painted finish. I upgraded to brushed over the winter for an additional $1100.00- $1200.00. I have over $4700.00 into the wheels.

I ordered the wheels to be made for a big brake kit. I recently purchased an AP Racing four wheel kit and the rear wheels don't fit!

In addition to the poor fitment issues I had clear coat peeling on several wheels after only 2000 miles. I have 3700 miles on the car and the wheels were installed at around 1200. That is one reason they were sent back to HRE over the winter when I gave them another $1200.00 bucks.

HRE was contacted about the fitment issue and the fact I ordered the wheels for big brakes. The wheels were sent to HRE via RMA by Renee March 30th and arrived at HRE April 5th. The wheels sat at HRE for 2weeks before the VP John even contacted me. When John contacted me his solution was to PAY another $1000.00+ and then he would cut and hack my wheels (no new parts or materials) so they would fit. He also said for this money I would need additional pad height and need to run a SPACER!

$5700.00 plus to HRE for a bandaid fix and still need to run a spacer? OUTRAGEOUS IMHO for a high buck, top notch custom wheel.

I could have spent a $1000.00 for some cheap wheels from PepBoys and got clear coat peeling and fitment issues.

Needless to say I refused to pay HRE one more dime. If HRE were that great they would have offered to make me two new wheels that fit right ESSPECIALLY for the price you pay for them.

My experience is HREs customer service is nothing special. I've seen a whole lot better.

My experience is HREs quality is nothing to get excited about.

For what I paid for HREs I expected a whole lot more.

Sorry zland for the opposing view, but the record needs to be set straight.

Jeff

Last edited by jak; 04-21-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:13 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

wow that sucks........
Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
jak

Originally posted by zh.guitar
wow that sucks........
That's for sure. I read your posts on this page and it sounds like you have been without your car for a while like me. 3700 total miles and I have had the car 1.5 years! Last summer it was a suspension upgrade that didn't go smoothly, this year the wheel problem. I won't get wheels for two or three months from now! Looks like another summer shot to sh@t for driving.

I was saying the same thing a couple of days ago as you maybe I should sell this car and get something nicer. Maybe a car I could drive once in a while hehehehehe!

Jeff
Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jak
Well....I ordered my HREs the same time zland did in fact it was on the same group buy. I have to say that I have a much different experience with my HREs.

I ordered 19" 445s in the painted finish. I upgraded to brushed over the winter for an additional $1100.00- $1200.00. I have over $4700.00 into the wheels.

I ordered the wheels to be made for a big brake kit. I recently purchased an AP Racing four wheel kit and the rear wheels don't fit!

In addition to the poor fitment issues I had clear coat peeling on several wheels after only 2000 miles. I have 3700 miles on the car and the wheels were installed at around 1200. That is one reason they were sent back to HRE over the winter when I gave them another $1200.00 bucks.

HRE was contacted about the fitment issue and the fact I ordered the wheels for big brakes. The wheels were sent to HRE via RMA by Renee March 30th and arrived at HRE April 5th. The wheels sat at HRE for 2weeks before the VP John even contacted me. When John contacted me his solution was to PAY another $1000.00+ and then he would cut and hack my wheels (no new parts or materials) so they would fit. He also said for this money I would need additional pad height and need to run a SPACER!

$5700.00 plus to HRE for a bandaid fix and still need to run a spacer? OUTRAGEOUS IMHO for a high buck, top notch custom wheel.

I could have spent a $1000.00 for some cheap wheels from PepBoys and got clear coat peeling and fitment issues.

Needless to say I refused to pay HRE one more dime. If HRE were that great they would have offered to make me two new wheels that fit right ESSPECIALLY for the price you pay for them.

My experience is HREs customer service is nothing special. I've seen a whole lot better.

Jeff
WOW, that is a lot of money to pay and not be happy.

I am amazed at how much HRE charges for optional finishes, etc.....when HRE and other companies us the EXACT same finishers and painters.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by jak

Jeff
Jeff:

That is why we have a webpage to discuss these issues. If that is what happened to you, then your opinion and experience is just as valid as mine. When I am happy with the product and service of any product, I post it for others to see, likewise, if I had a problem and the company would not fix it, I would post that as well. Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

When I was ordering my wheels, I spoke directly to Bob Hale who is in charge of fitment. He directly asked me what exact brake kit I might put on my Z. I usually work with him and I suggest you contact him since he is the guy that does the specs for them to mill off of.

Worst case senerio if that does not work, have them refinish the clear coat and sell them since they will be like new. These wheels are warrantied on clear coat, they should do that for you without question.

I am surprised with your experience, i hope they come through for you.

good luck,

Jeff