Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced

Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 AM
ZFifty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for opinions on what is the best tire at a reasonable price?

Mid-range cost with highest performance, treadwear, and such.

I have run many and want to see others opinions.

Thoughts/Options:
1- Federals (595s?) - Heard great performance for the price
2- Nexens? (6000s or 7000s?)
3- Toyo (T1R or others) -- great tire for the price, though slightly more costly obviously
4- Hankooks
5- Nittos (NT05 or others) - simlar to the Toyos
6- Falkens?
7- Others?

Opinions? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Buying some tires for my 9.5 and 10.5 wheels- looking at 245/35 and 275/35.

Have bought from many places in the past -- but not too recently and I know the marker can change with new competitors also.

WHERE has the lowest prices in general on tires?

Maybe ones with Cyber Monday specials?

Some ones I have used & heard of:
http://www.onlinetires.com/
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Thoughts on these? Other places?

Last edited by SR71; 12-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Best bang for the buck also depends on where you live. In sunny Cali, you can go for max performance summer tires like the BFGoodrich Comp 2 and use them throughout the year. In the rest of the country, a good high-performance, all-season tire like the General G-Max As-03 are a good compromise.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Bfgoodrich sport comp2 best tire midrange ive had. On set 3. Had them on my S2k the nismo and my RL.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:58 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slickdeal a Michelin from Sears or BFGoodrich or Goodyear. Don't go cheap instead buy smart. Sears has $100 back in points on $399 purchase and those points can be used to pay for labor on balancing or other purchases at Sears. You will also qualify for $70 mail in rebates on Michelin tires. Use the below link to get 10% off and $25 back in additional points from Sears. Sears is giving $10 back in points if you spend $50 and it stacks with all previously mentioned coupons. For Thanksgiving and black friday sears was offering additional $50 award card and that is when I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 with Double 10% discover cashback.

If you have Discover card you can get 10% cashback and some folks get double cashback promo. Shop at home has 10% and ebates has 6% plus sign on bonus. You can only use one credit card cashback but you can stack certain Sears codes for points or discounts. When you stack all these deals you will get 1 or 2 tires free if you buy 4 tires total.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8324637-sear...es-jan-26-2016

http://cfitirecb.com/my_images/pdf/80

http://www.cashbackholic.com/cashbac...sears.com.html
Attached Thumbnails Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced-offer.jpg   Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced-sears.jpg   Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced-cyber.jpg   Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced-michelin.jpg  

Last edited by faiz23; 11-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Currently (or on my reserve wheels) in particular category/price ranges:

Just for perspective: I run my cars in the hills 2x a week. Very good performance from all below. I am very particular about tires in that they MUST give me (in this order):

1. Steering response/turn-in must be sharp.

2. Overall grip must be high and in the same vein, must be forgiving enough to make me look like a hero even when I mess up. (Yeah yeah, that's me admitting it. ) Laff... But that means more than just being grippy, they must be controllable and let me slide 'em when needed and recover when overcooked.

3. Noise level and comfort manageable enough to NOT have to close my window or try to keep my body parts off the seats and steering wheel to avoid loud and unruly vibration. I literally gave away a set of 6/32nd BFGs - that came on the Track V1 wheels I bought - to a friend because they were SO bad.

4. Tread life.... wellllll, not too concerned on my Zs - have enough spare sets to not worry too much.

Given the above...

Budget Max Perf - Sumitomo HTR Z3 (not the Z2!) - Very good tire for the low cost. Thought I was going to give up the turn-in response I had with Michelin PS. Nope. They are razor sharp and very good at the limit. Great braking tire as well.

Mid-level Max Perf - Bridgestone S04 Pole Position - A good tire at a reasonable price. Has all the right attributes I desire BUT I would rate them at slightly less responsive than either my Sumitomos or Yoks, below. But, not enough for me to swap them out. They are predictable, smooth, and while their wet performance isn't what I'd call a "9-10", they're not bad on wet roads.

Expensive (to buy and to run) Max Performance/DOT racer category - Yokohama AD08R. For the street, not what I'd run as I don't push them hard enough nor anywhere near their limits but wow.... they transform any car into a slot car. They're not on my car right now but come Spring (re-licensing time), will run these HPDE and for class where I'll need a hero tire. Don't EVEN think about "tire wear" with these. If you do, BZZZZTTT, wrong tire.

NOT saying these are the best choice for you, not by a long shot. Just adding datapoints to your selection criteria.

Mic
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
35th4me (11-30-2015), BigBlue (11-30-2015), dboyzalter (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

(impersonating micvelo)..... driving school...bwaaaahahhaaa, i keed i keed

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Bfgoodrich sport comp2 best tire midrange ive had. On set 3. Had them on my S2k the nismo and my RL.
Originally Posted by dkmura
Best bang for the buck also depends on where you live. In sunny Cali, you can go for max performance summer tires like the BFGoodrich Comp 2 and use them throughout the year. In the rest of the country, a good high-performance, all-season tire like the General G-Max As-03 are a good compromise.

question answered ... these are great tires
Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Buying some tires for my 9.5 and 10.5 wheels- looking at 245/35 and 275/35.

Have bought from many places in the past -- but not too recently and I know the marker can change with new competitors also.

WHERE has the lowest prices in general on tires?

Maybe ones with Cyber Monday specials?

Some ones I have used & heard of:
http://www.onlinetires.com/
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Thoughts on these? Other places?
Are you buying 18's are 19's , by the looks are the sizes you have 19 inch wheels
Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 PM
ZFifty

You make a good point, growing up in the snowy midwest, I purchased many sets of all seasons - many continental conti-extremes for my EVO in the past.

I am not in sunny California, and the Z is my second car, so I can run a summer tire year-round.

I have not heard many experiences of those model BFGs - thank you for the info! How did you decide on them, and did you look at/consider any other tires?

Where did you buy your BFGs?

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Great to hear more input on these tires!

What others have you ran? & Also Where did you buy your BFGs?

Have to see if they make them in my sizes

Originally Posted by faiz23
Slickdeal a Michelin from Sears or BFGoodrich or Goodyear. Don't go cheap instead buy smart. Sears has $100 back in points on $399 purchase and those points can be used to pay for labor on balancing or other purchases at Sears. You will also qualify for $70 mail in rebates on Michelin tires. Use the below link to get 10% off and $25 back in additional points from Sears. Sears is giving $10 back in points if you spend $50 and it stacks with all previously mentioned coupons. For Thanksgiving and black friday sears was offering additional $50 award card and that is when I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 with Double 10% discover cashback.

If you have Discover card you can get 10% cashback and some folks get double cashback promo. Shop at home has 10% and ebates has 6% plus sign on bonus. You can only use one credit card cashback but you can stack certain Sears codes for points or discounts. When you stack all these deals you will get 1 or 2 tires free if you buy 4 tires total.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8324637-sear...es-jan-26-2016

http://cfitirecb.com/my_images/pdf/80

http://www.cashbackholic.com/cashbac...sears.com.html
Have Never used Slickdeals! Offtopic - Is there a cost?

You have quite the combo of deals and discounts - just what I am hoping for. Really appreciate you sharing all the info and sites, it helps a lot!!

So - What tires have you run personally?

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Are you buying 18's are 19's , by the looks are the sizes you have 19 inch wheels
I am buying 19" tires, you are correct Terra.

Will be buying 245-35-19 front (or 255-per your post in other thread! )
And 275-35-19 rear.

What tires do you run?

Last edited by SR71; 12-01-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFifty
I am buying 19" tires, you are correct Terra.

Will be buying 245-35-19 front (or 255-per your post in other thread! )
And 275-35-19 rear.

What tires do you run?
Hankook RS3 mounted on one set of wheels and Nitto NT01 on the other set of wheels.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 AM
VenomGT9

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Conti DW is going to be my next set whenever the current one burns up
Old 11-30-2015, 04:34 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Have Never used Slickdeals! Offtopic - Is there a cost?

You have quite the combo of deals and discounts - just what I am hoping for. Really appreciate you sharing all the info and sites, it helps a lot!!

So - What tires have you run personally?
Slickdeals is just a deal forum that tells you where to go to get deals and how to stack for best price. The forum is free to join just like my350z is.

I only run high performance all season or ultra high performance all season tires since I need my car all year around for daily driver duty. Here in Dallas we don't get much snow or ice so I can stick with good wet/dry tires for the most part. I have tried Kumho Solus which were all right, Goodyear Eagle GT which were good in the start but noisy towards the end. Also Goodyear was a pain to balance and did not get the full 50k miles tread only 27k. I have tried Falken and they were too soft/noisy and treadwear wasn't good on it. Yokohama is a safe bet since they are good quality and fairly priced. The grip is not as good as some of the other tires but overall a safe bet. I am trying Michelin Pilot A/S 3 which are great for wet/dry but not so great for Ice/Snow. I usually buy the best tires that I can stack multiple deals on and get them for $100 - $125 each after all rebates. Tires start off at $175 - $225 before any discounts.

Last edited by faiz23; 11-30-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:00 AM
ZFifty

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Hankook RS3 mounted on one set of wheels and Nitto NT01 on the other set of wheels.
Nice, some good choices on tires! I am contemplating the NT05s

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Conti DW is going to be my next set whenever the current one burns up
I loved the continential conti extreme on my evo and other family members. Great all season, even in the snow. Reduced my road noise a ton also, which mitsu's are notorious for.

Originally Posted by faiz23
Slickdeals is just a deal forum that tells you where to go to get deals and how to stack for best price. The forum is free to join just like my350z is.

I only run high performance all season or ultra high performance all season tires since I need my car all year around for daily driver duty. Here in Dallas we don't get much snow or ice so I can stick with good wet/dry tires for the most part. I have tried Kumho Solus which were all right, Goodyear Eagle GT which were good in the start but noisy towards the end. Also Goodyear was a pain to balance and did not get the full 50k miles tread only 27k. I have tried Falken and they were too soft/noisy and treadwear wasn't good on it. Yokohama is a safe bet since they are good quality and fairly priced. The grip is not as good as some of the other tires but overall a safe bet. I am trying Michelin Pilot A/S 3 which are great for wet/dry but not so great for Ice/Snow. I usually buy the best tires that I can stack multiple deals on and get them for $100 - $125 each after all rebates. Tires start off at $175 - $225 before any discounts.
Ahh, I thought so - good to know.
I completely understand, if it was my daily driver, I wouldn't be looking at a mid-range lower cost.
I am tempted to look at the BFG comp2's people mentioned, but they are an all season and I prefer a summer/performance tire
Wish I could find deals on the Toyo T1Rs or Nitto NT05 to get them for cheaper, but have not found many deals on them.

I believe the BFG Comp2 is an all season tire?
There is a sport comp2, summer tire- but I was told they are discontinued-not sure if that is true

Last edited by SR71; 12-01-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:54 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Sears has the Summer tire in stock for my daily but I needed the all season. Maybe you can get the summer tire from them if they have yours in stock and stack all the coupon I previously mentioned.

http://www.sears.com/bfgoodrich-g-fo...1&blockType=T1

BFGoodrich G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2
Ultra High Performance Summer
[/I][/I]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2

BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S
Ultra High Performance All-Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e+Sport+COMP-2

Last edited by faiz23; 11-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

my hankook v12 are good. bought them for around 6-700 shipped for all 4. 275/35r18 and im happy. my sumitomo z2 sucks but the tread pattern are sexy haha
Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i didn't like the hankook v12s.... burned through them real quick
Old 11-30-2015, 05:08 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
i didn't like the hankook v12s.... burned through them real quick
True but i switch them monthly sooo i dont even notice haha
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Mid-level Max Perf - Bridgestone S04 Pole Position - A good tire at a reasonable price. Has all the right attributes I desire BUT I would rate them at slightly less responsive than either my Sumitomos or Yoks, below. But, not enough for me to swap them out. They are predictable, smooth, and while their wet performance isn't what I'd call a "9-10", they're not bad on wet roads.

Mic
I just got this set! I had to shop and research to get the best price I could. ultimately bought them from Tire Rack. I was very lucky more experienced Z guys helped me out.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 PM
ZFifty

The V12s are directional I believe-- so if I have staggered set (different widths) -- I would not be able to rotate them.

I was going to go with the V12s, get two rebates- but with that factor I think I am going to go with the Bridgestone S04 due to pricing and rebates

Hard to find the comp2s in size I need at a good price or with rebates
Old 12-01-2015, 05:09 AM
turboed350z

The V12s are directional I believe-- so if I have staggered set (different widths) -- I would not be able to rotate them.

I was going to go with the V12s, get two rebates- but with that factor I think I am going to go with the Bridgestone S04 due to pricing and rebates

Hard to find the comp2s in size I need at a good price or with rebates

I dont see the purpose of rotating side to side. Its kinda pointless. If youre after saving barely any treads, you bought the wrong car in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
35th4me (12-03-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 AM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Like stated above, really comes down to where you live.

I recommend Michelin Super Sports to anyone who dailies there car but also does a lot of back road spirited driving and maybe a track day or two a year. Great all around tire, good in the rain, and has a decently high treadwear rating for everyday driving.

Hankook RS3's for any grip orientated dry driving.

Federal Rsr is a good tire for the price too; but the sizings on them are weird.

Hankook V12's are trash, never again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Bang for your Buck TIRES -- Mid-range/fair priced