Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

tire width 275 or 285?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 06:19 PM
lowrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rodH is right. Remember what I said in my earlier post about some folks just having to have the largest of everything (tires). Well you've met them. Stay with what the experts recommend.

Lou
Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 PM
al503

Originally posted by lowrider
rodH is right. Remember what I said in my earlier post about some folks just having to have the largest of everything (tires). Well you've met them. Stay with what the experts recommend.

Lou
Hey Lou,
I think many of us, including myself, recommended something bigger than the 275's due to the 'stretched' look, not on the theory that bigger is better. I also take exception to your 'well you've met them' like we're second class forum members. I won't even comment on the 'expert' reference.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by al503
Hey Lou,
I think many of us, including myself, recommended something bigger than the 275's due to the 'stretched' look, not on the theory that bigger is better. I also take exception to your 'well you've met them' like we're second class forum members. I won't even comment on the 'expert' reference.
Well, I just think he was telling it like it is. There is another thread going on about someone who bought Volk TE37 and heavier tires, and went from track wheels, and he is noticing a difference in performance. I think what the poster above is saying is that the experts recommend a 275 for a reason, that reason is that they are the right size. Also, take into consideration that they are lighter.

Now, if you say you "don't want the stretched look" fine, BUT remember the question was asked what size is the RIGHT size for the Z. If you wanna go 10.5" and have you car look like is has bad *** rear wheels BUT do not want the "stretched tire look" and really want to go with 285s, fine. But just remember, you will be sacrificing performance. Some are saying they notice a diff in perfomance with light wt 9.5" rears and 275 tires, now others want to go 10.5" and 285?, everything comes at a price/sacrifice.

I went with 19" wheels, because I like the look and to me 18" look to small, I also ordered the lightest 19" wheels I could get in my style and DID NOT get the optional rivots/bolts for wt reasons ALONE. Also, the reason I spent $200 more for Toyo's vs S0-3s was because they are much lighter. My wheels and tires are now 7 pounds lighter than stock, which I am happy about. Everyone is different and there is NO right or wrong answer, it just depends what your priorities are.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
al503

Originally posted by rodH
Well, I just think he was telling it like it is. There is another thread going on about someone who bought Volk TE37 and heavier tires, and went from track wheels, and he is noticing a difference in performance. I think what the poster above is saying is that the experts recommend a 275 for a reason, that reason is that they are the right size. Also, take into consideration that they are lighter.

Now, if you say you "don't want the stretched look" fine, BUT remember the question was asked what size is the RIGHT size for the Z. If you wanna go 10.5" and have you car look like is has bad *** rear wheels BUT do not want the "stretched tire look" and really want to go with 285s, fine. But just remember, you will be sacrificing performance. Some are saying they notice a diff in perfomance with light wt 9.5" rears and 275 tires, now others want to go 10.5" and 285?, everything comes at a price/sacrifice.

I went with 19" wheels, because I like the look and to me 18" look to small, I also ordered the lightest 19" wheels I could get in my style and DID NOT get the optional rivots/bolts for wt reasons ALONE. Also, the reason I spent $200 more for Toyo's vs S0-3s was because they are much lighter. My wheels and tires are now 7 pounds lighter than stock, which I am happy about. Everyone is different and there is NO right or wrong answer, it just depends what your priorities are.
Hey rod,
I guess the manner in which he posted is what got me a little riled up.

I am no stranger to the consideration of weight. My wheel choices were between the CP-F Tuned and the SF Challenge. I ultimately went with the former due to the lighter weight even though I liked the looks of the volks better in addition to the fact that they were $800 less. I was tickled when I weighed both sets and saved 12 lbs. overall over stock.

In terms of the actual question(s) themselves, the original poster asked if:
1. whether a 285/35/19 tire was actually manufactured
2. WHY everyone went with 275's
3. whether 285 was too much rubber for the Z

To which I would reply
1. yes
2. it's the closest to the stock diameter
3. no
He did not inquire about about the "Right" size. If the right size is what determines right and wrong, then everyone with any aftermarket part that is a different size from stock is one of "them" in Lou's vernacular.

As your well argued point states, there are many considerations/priorities that should be taken into account when someone makes a decision. Therefore, proclaiming that a particular size is the "right" one based solely on that one aspect seems contradictory with your post.

Last edited by al503; 02-24-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:33 PM
grutter

I thought I would try to interject some facts..
I can't understand how you can talk about the correct tire size without including the rim size.

So I put together the following table from a manufacturer's tire sizes (all should be pretty close) so we had a point of comparison.

First lines are for reference to the OE 18" tire sizes. I included them because keeping as close to the original diameter will mean your speedometer won't be off by much. Also, to not trip up the VDC into thinking your wheels are slipping, you need to keep front and rear diameters close (I was told within 1" dia - can anyone speak authoritatively to this ??)

The column labelled section width is the width of the tire (widest measurement sidewall to sidewall, not tread width), when mounted on the "Measuring Rim".

Min Rim and Max Rim columns are the narrowest and widest rims you can safely mount the tires on.

So, looking at the chart, the 245/35 and 275/35 are a perfect match for 8.5x19 and 9.5x19 rims, but they are NOT the best fit if running 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 rims.

In my opinion, on 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 rims, you should be running 255/35 and 285/35, or alternatively in a 30 series, 265/30 and 295/30.

However, running the wider rims and tires have additional fitment issues.. like will it fit under the fender well, with or without the fenders being rolled, is your car lowered, etc....

Which is why I asked the question in the first place... there's nothing better than someone's experience to help out other members. I would like to know if, when running 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear (+22), is there enough room to mount the 255/35 and 285/35 tires, or 265/30 and 295/30.

I really don't want to listen to someone's nonsense about having to have the widest tires. I just want the correct fitment of tire to rim, taking into consideration the physical constraints of the fender well. And judging from the response on this thread, I'm certain that other members would like to know the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails tire width 275 or 285?-tiresize.jpg  
Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by al503
Hey rod,
I guess the manner in which he posted is what got me a little riled up.

oh, now I understand
Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 PM
jak

Originally posted by grutter
I thought I would try to interject some facts..
I can't understand how you can talk about the correct tire size without including the rim size.

So I put together the following table from a manufacturer's tire sizes (all should be pretty close) so we had a point of comparison.

First lines are for reference to the OE 18" tire sizes. I included them because keeping as close to the original diameter will mean your speedometer won't be off by much. Also, to not trip up the VDC into thinking your wheels are slipping, you need to keep front and rear diameters close (I was told within 1" dia - can anyone speak authoritatively to this ??)

The column labelled section width is the width of the tire (widest measurement sidewall to sidewall, not tread width), when mounted on the "Measuring Rim".

Min Rim and Max Rim columns are the narrowest and widest rims you can safely mount the tires on.

So, looking at the chart, the 245/35 and 275/35 are a perfect match for 8.5x19 and 9.5x19 rims, but they are NOT the best fit if running 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 rims.

In my opinion, on 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 rims, you should be running 255/35 and 285/35, or alternatively in a 30 series, 265/30 and 295/30.

However, running the wider rims and tires have additional fitment issues.. like will it fit under the fender well, with or without the fenders being rolled, is your car lowered, etc....

Which is why I asked the question in the first place... there's nothing better than someone's experience to help out other members. I would like to know if, when running 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear (+22), is there enough room to mount the 255/35 and 285/35 tires, or 265/30 and 295/30.

I really don't want to listen to someone's nonsense about having to have the widest tires. I just want the correct fitment of tire to rim, taking into consideration the physical constraints of the fender well. And judging from the response on this thread, I'm certain that other members would like to know the same thing.
Great info. I agree that a lot of members here take it personally about the equipment they run on there cars as being the best. It is nice to see the facts rather than wade through the BS about who wants or doesn't want the widest tires.

I would add to your info with some additional facts:

First both combinations 245/35/19 - 275/35/19 AND 255/35/19 - 285/35/19 works well on this car so individuals need to determine there own needs.

FACT #1: A 255/35/19 on a 9" rim is an EXACT diameter and rolling circumference replacement based on the stock 18" front tires.

FACT #2: A 245/35/19 on an 8.5" rim is .8% undersized in both diameter and rolling circumference based on the stock 18" front tires.

FACT #3: A 275/35/19 on a 10" rim is .4% undersized in both diameter and rolling circumference based on the stock 18" rear tires.

FACT #4: A 285/35/19 on a 10.5" rim is .8% oversized in both diameter and rolling circumference based on the stock 18" rear tires.

If one were to ask which combination is the closest to stock based ONLY on diameter and rolling circumference the answer based on the facts is the 255 - 285 combo because of the exact front match and .8% error in the rear. On the 245-275 combo not only do you have a .8% error on the front you also have another .4% error on the rear.

If the criteria to buy tires were to find the closest match without going over the stock size then the choice is clear 245 - 275 combo.

Another consideration is the tire brands you want to use. To my knowledge only two companies make the 255 - 285 combo, one of them being Continental. Many companies make the 245 -275 including the very popular Bridgestones. If you don't like Conti then you’re going to get the 245-275 combo.

I have been a member of this site since before any 350Zs were delivered. During my membership I have witnessed many different tire purchases by the members here and one thing has consistently come to the surface. People buy 245 - 275 combos because S03s are made in that size. Now the new favorite is Toyo and they also make that size. NEITHER company makes a 285.

A short comment about weight. It is true that the smaller tires and rims will weigh less. Adding 1/2" to the same rim will add an average of 1 pound of weight and one size up on tires will add less than that. We are talking under 10 pounds total for all four wheels in additional weight. Take that 10 or less pounds and put it against the 3200 pounds of car; I would suggest that any performance differences would definitely fall within driver error.

Pick your tire combo based on your needs and when someone comes along spewing things like having to have the widest tires or one combo is better than the other, we all know that is just plain BS.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Last edited by jak; 02-24-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 AM
DrCold

This is all great info!

I am currently tring to decide what to do with my wheels this year. I was toying with the idea of running 275/30/19 front and 295/30/19 rear on my 9.5" and 10.5" GT-C's. But my GT-C's have a pretty extreme offset, and I'm afraid that it might be much to wide. Currently I'm running 255/35 front and 275/35 rear knowing that the rear is undersized.

My question is, what would be the proper size for my wheels. If you notice in my sig, my offsets are pretty extreme and push the wheels pretty far out. The only drop I plan on doing comes from the S-Tune kit, which isnt that much at all. I already have had my rear fenders cut, welded, and resealed, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's actually the fronts im more worried about. Before reading this thread, I had almost convinced my self that a 275/30 and 295/30 combo is what I need, but now im not so sure. What do you guys think? I dont really care that going up 20mm is going to weigh more, or that i should have gotten 18x8.5's or anything. I just want to know what will fit my wheels (and car) correctly. Ugh, its all just a big mess.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:02 PM
dlt1cy

HELP - I am now confused. Wouldn't staggering the tires by a larger ratio create more understeer? I have 17" and was thinking about going with 255/40/18 F and 265/40/18 R. What about 255/40/18 F+R. Or even 265/40/18 F+R. Would this reduce the understeer?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 AM
lowrider

dlt1cy

Not to add any more fuel to this fire. The proper sizes for 18" plus 0 is 245/40/18 on 8.5" front and 275/40/18 on 9.5" rear. This maintains the correct stagger, doesn't upset the VDC or TC, and does reduce understeer. This is the combo I'm running on Nismo wheels. Handling is dramatically better than the stock 18" sizes, and the understeer has been reduced.

My apologies to anyone I might have angered. But the truth is, many of you run you wheel, tire combinations that choose looks over functionality. That's great, if that's what you want. I wanted looks and functionality. That's the reason I went with 18s rather than 19s. Most people don't agree with me, and you don't have too. It's a free country, your car, you can do lwith it as you please. I certainly did. Also, some people are running 20s, we all know how functional those are. (No flames please). But, they liked the look, and their choice is fine with me.

Again it's an individual thing. The proper choice for upsizing tires on this automobile is 8.5" wide rims on the front (22 to 25mm offset), 9.5" wide rims on the back 25 to 30mm offset.
18" - 245/40/18 front, 275/40/18 rear
19" - 245/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear

Anything larger, while it may look good, does take away some measure of functionally.

Both of the above combos, IMO, are the best compromise between looks and functionality, and in my opinion, and my opinion only, the 18" sizes win out here.

Lou