Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Nismo Wheels can void warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
FoleyF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Wheels can void warranty!

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the installation of NISMO wheels or other after market wheels can void the warranty of the Z Coupe and even more so, the Z Roadster. I will quote the Nissan Acessory Bulliten shortly.

My situation is that I have a Z Roadster on order and due to a screw up at the dealer it is coming in with 17 inch wheels. I was going to upgrade the wheels to 18 inch NISMO's. According to the Accessory Bulliten, NISMO's cannot be installed on the Roadster without voiding the warranty......My parts guy said that putting the 18's on a car that is programmed for 17's will effect the suspension, transmission and everything else about the steering and shifting.

To make matters worse if you have a Z coupe (I do as well), there are certain things you have to do (on a VDC equipped model) so the warranty is not voided.

Just letting you know this as many of you have after market wheels and you might get the screws put to you on warranty work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a quote from Nissan Accesory Bulliten NAB/03-035 dated 8/18/03:

Application:

For the 350z coupe without vdc, Nismo wheels can be installed in any combination with other factory and/or Nismo supenstion kit and stabilizer bar kit. However, kit components are not to be installed separately. For example, NISMO front stabilizer bar needs to be installed in conjunction with the NISMO rear stabilizer bar.

For 350z coupe equipped with VDC, Nismo wheels must be installed in conjunction with the Nismo suspension kit and the Nismo stabilizer bar kit. Failure to do so may result in the VDC system not operating properly and could adversely affect vehicle handling performance.

Nismo wheels are not applicable to the 350z Roadster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really bad news for Roadster owners and even if you install 18 inch or greater wheels from any manufacturer you can potentially screw up the Z's computer. According to my parts guy, if a Z comes in with 17's and you upgrade to 18's or bigger (Nismo or any other) your computer will have issues and your warranty will be voided.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Whoa... you gotta be kidding about the 17" to 18" upgrade... at least I hope that you are. The VDC thing sounds copacetic, but the computer issues and warranty voidance sound kinda fishy.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MOst dealers will look at NISMO and see Nissan and not think anything of it...

Most users on this board have aftermarket rims... Problems?

With the 18" nismo's all you need to do is use 245/40/18 in the front and 275/40/18 in the rear... You will not have any problems with VDC if you do this. There are people on this board running 245/35/19 in the front and 275/30/19 in the rear with VDC and if they go more then 30+ MPH their VDC light turns on and the car starts to slow... They just need to use a 35 profile tire in the rear and that issue will be resolved..

Your dealer must not be very mod friendly. The majority of Nissan dealers if they see NISMO they think its NISSAN and if it is S-Tune or R-Tune cover the parts under the same warranty even though the R-Tune parts specificly say they are not. Why... because some just dont know what NISMO is... I have had some dealers call me saying a customer who baught a NISAM (thats how they say it... NISS - AM) part from us and went there to install it asking us how. Then they call back and I explian more on the product line and they get into it.

If you are that worried about your dealer "voiding" your cars warranty about wheels, find a nother dealer. I would say you dont have anything to worry about.

If you hit a curb with your stock wheels, it would not be covered under warranty any way.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me add here that Nissan doesn't recommend this as they have not done the crash test's yet on these cars.... THEY ARE COVERING THEIR BUTTS!!! People like to sue car companies....
Old 03-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Todd@ProDyno

Its garbage. Ive never heard of a dealer outright saying anything like that. Yes..it could potentially adversely effect the vdc/abs, trac systems slightly if you change overall diameter...but thats about it. Sounds more like someone trying to make people buy more Nismo products.

How many times do you drive by a dealer and see brand new vehicles with upgraded aftermarket wheels on them? All the time im sure. I sell to Nissan, and every other dealer around here...often they are 18 or 19" packages. I cant imagine theyd do that to a brand new car, then void the warranty before they even sell it to you.

If its really an issue...bolt the stockers back up for warranty work!

I dont understand at all their statement regarding the raodster. What difference does it make???
Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 AM
isugoo

Jason,
We are really really really appreciate you as a dealer who doesn't hide truth as other dealers,
as a 350z driver, as a forum member, you are a great helper for all of us.
thank you so much.
my tear almost dropped while i was reading your tread.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:31 AM
FoleyF

Jason- Good points made above. However, Nissan has put out a bulletin that clearly states if NISMO Wheels are put on a Roadster your warranty is voided. It also says that if NISMO wheels are put on a vdc equipeed coupe without the NISMO suspension kit and the NISMO stabilizer bar kit your warranty is voided. Now, that does not necessarily mean you can't get it slipped through under warranty or get the exact same performance. What it is saying is that if you need warranty work and the repair shop wants to play hard ball you are out of luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:40 AM
FoleyF

I'm sorry, but I'm not spending $37,190 on a car and driving it with 17 inch wheels......I want those NISMO's. Jason, just clarify the following:

If a roadster comes in with 17's, can I switch to 18 inch NISMO's with the tire size you recommend and expect no problems with the Z computer or the transmission or any of the other BS the dealer warned me about? I'll deal with the warranty if/when I need it.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Todd@ProDyno

With the correct amount of stagger front to rear, and appropriate overall diamter...there is no worry of computer, tranny, etc problems
Old 03-05-2004, 12:21 PM
apsilon

Default Re: Nismo Wheels can void warranty!

Originally posted by FoleyF
For 350z coupe equipped with VDC, Nismo wheels must be installed in conjunction with the Nismo suspension kit and the Nismo stabilizer bar kit. Failure to do so may result in the VDC system not operating properly and could adversely affect vehicle handling performance.
I thought the S-Tune suspension wasn't certfied for use with VDC equipped cars yet here they're saying you must have it if you have the wheels.

I can see it now "Usually your warranty would be void with those wheels but we see you have the correct suspension so the wheel installation doesn't effect the warranty. However the suspension you have can't be used on VDC equipped cars such as yours so I'm afraid that does void your warranty".

Seriously, as the others have said just ignore it.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Z350Lover

APS.... you are correct.... they just want that dealer just wants him to spend more money on the suspension just to cover dealer's butt later if there is any problem.

Somehow, we don't have any problem using Nismo Parts (including flywheels) here with Nissan warranty though... luck us!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-06-2004, 06:24 AM
lowrider

I have a "G" with Nismos. It has VDC. I have Dunlop SP9000s - 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 (the recommended sizes) mounted on them. I usually run with VDC off. But, when I run with it on, NO PROBLEMS - absolutely none, nada! As has been said, the warning is Nissan's way of covering their butt. I went from the stock 18s to the Nismos. I decided against 19s after doing my research, but that's my personal decision. My Nismo/Dunlop combo handles great, much better than the stock with the Michelin Pilot Sports. The combo is lighter so the car feels more agile. Don't be afraid of the warning, it's a great mod, one that you wont regret. The important thing to remember with any after market wheel/tire combo, is to keep the outer diameters (front and rear) the same as the stock OD. Note: you can't do this with 20s, so IMO, I would stay away from 20s. With 18s or 19s, it's a piece of cake.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Nismo Wheels can void warranty!-img_0030.jpg