Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

cleaning volk gt-7's - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i keep thinking that volk doesnt clearcoat their lips...but if they do ive heard great things about the clearcoat wheel polish..its just too hard to find in a store so buy it online
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 PM
djkern
Banned

i took my car to the shop today (they need to fix the crack in my bumper from the damn plow that hit it this past winter). so, he's going to fix that up....fox up some paint chips in the bumper.....fix up some other paint chips behind the front and rear tires.....and CLEAN THE WHEELS!!

he said that claybar isn't going to do anything....the vinegar and water idea won't do much.....but he said he has some awesome stuff that'll work magic. i forget the name....bu ti'll get it when i take the car in. also, he said that he didn't know if the lip was polished....and that might be the reason they look the way they do. he's going to clean them....get them back to the way they are supposed to look....and then clear coat them (or wax them...or whatever he does).

i'll let everyone know how it goes....but it won't be for another 2 weeks. i can't get the car in for a little over 2 weeks.

oh yeah....i tried some of the ideas today....didn't do much of anything.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:46 PM
jckolnturn

ket us know what your body guy does and how it comes out.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Red6

Volk lips are clear coated so if you use a metal polish they will fog.

Alot of other lip are not clear coated but VOLK wheel are.

Do not use metal polish they will mess up your Volk GT-7 wheels.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:58 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by Red6
Volk lips are clear coated so if you use a metal polish they will fog.

Alot of other lip are not clear coated but VOLK wheel are.

Do not use metal polish they will mess up your Volk GT-7 wheels.
that's what it is then. my shop said they would be able to do something. the guy i got them from gave me a bottle of metal polish that he used...that's probably the problem.

my shop will be able to do something....i hope.

but i heard that the lip isn't clear coated????
Old 05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
jckolnturn

It is clear coated, or rather was clear coated. Now you have to keep polishing it.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:34 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by jckolnturn
It is clear coated, or rather was clear coated. Now you have to keep polishing it.
i have some polish. i can try that.....and if that doesn't work....the budy shop guy will fix it!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Sully

How did you make out with this.. Im local in Boston also, with GT7's with the same issue.. Share the wealth of knowledge!!

Thx
Sull
Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 PM
CAL_G35C1

volks are clear coated and anodized (what exactly does this mean, now)

anyways, i would never buy used rims. im going on my third set of volks already (ive had my car for less than 2 years) nothing like the feeling of having PERFECT rims , then watching them get scratched from normal driving.

whos down for a group buy on clear bra ing the lips on volks.????? that would be the best !
Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
down_shift

Won't happen. The volks are anodized. You chemically imbalanced the metal. All you can do is sand blast em and replace them with new stainless steel lips.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Gman2004

subscribing I am about to get the same wheels.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:12 AM
CAL_G35C1

okay..i found something on what anodized means..

What is Anodizing?

Unlike most other finishes, anodizing preserves the natural luster, texture, and beauty of the metal itself. The anodized coating is hard, durable, will never peel, and, under normal conditions, will never wear through. By definition, anodizing is a process for finishing aluminum alloys that employs electrolytic oxidation of the aluminum surface to produce a protective oxide coating. The anodic coating consists of hydrated aluminum oxide and is considered resistant to corrosion and abrasion. Conventional coatings1 are 0.1 to 1.0 mil thick and are essentially transparent, although they may be colored.

Because anodic coatings are transparent in nature, any alteration or improvement of the surface to be anodized will carry through the anodizing process. Accordingly, many anodize process lines are set up with pretreatment operations and the term "anodizing" has come to include these extra steps.

Anodizing takes place by immersing the work in a series of solutions where various operations are performed. The solutions are held in open top tanks and the work passes through each unit. The work may consist of a continuous coil of aluminum, in which case it is threaded through the system on rollers. In the metal fabrication business, the work typically consists of distinct items that are placed on special racks and carried through the process in batches. Overhead cranes move the racks from one tank to the next. The work is rinsed thoroughly after each operation to avoid contamination and interference in the next solution.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
MarquisDeSam

The polished lips on Volks are very delicate... Whatever you do, don't use harsh wheel cleaners. Lightly rubbing the spots with vinegar then immediately hosing it down might do the trick. It worked for some tough spots I had on my windows and paint.