Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TPMS add-on for Touring 5AT??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:14 PM
JACKALZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS add-on for Touring 5AT??

Does anyone know if there is a factor/dealer add-on for the tire pressue monitor system?
I am curious if the Touring 5AT model's computer is compatible or has the receivers already in the car, and I just need the sensors in the wheels?

Thanks in advance,

JACKALZ
Old 07-14-2004, 01:18 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation No

Originally posted by JACKALZ
Does anyone know if there is a factor/dealer add-on for the tire pressue monitor system?
I am curious if the Touring 5AT model's computer is compatible or has the receivers already in the car, and I just need the sensors in the wheels?

Thanks in advance,

JACKALZ
The Nissan TPM System uses a separate receiver unit that plugs into the main vehicle computer so as to coordinate tire pressure readings onto the computer "rotating" display. There is also a TPMS remote receiving antenna that is located in the right hand A pillar. I do not know or cannot say if the main vehicle computer is common to TPMS and non-TPMS equipped cars. Thus, at the very least, you would have to pay for the antenna, TPMS receiver and 4 TPMS sensors before getting the dealer to install. 4 sensors to start with retail at $350 each, so I would guess that a Nissan system will set you back nearly $2000 to add with labor!

As an alternate, I would recommend the SmartTire system that both Courtesy Nissan & TireRack sells. With remote display, it retails for $280 complete. I recently added this to my Murano installing it all by my lonesome, and it is actually a superior system to the Nissan TPMS in that it is more sensitive (provides earlier warning), and measures tire temp in addition to tire pressure. The downside is that the tire sensor is heavier than Nissan's system, and the battery life is 5 years compared to Nissan's reportedly advertised 7 year battery life (in normal use, of course! ) For the price and added safety though, I am very sold on these radio pressure transmitter systems.
HTH and good luck in your search.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:41 AM
JACKALZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS after market and SmarTire

Thanks for the info regarding the Nissan TPMS. Seems I got short changed by Nissan when buying this car. With that said, I have purchased the the SmarTire system and preparing to install it this week. So far, it looks impressive and a better setup than the Nissan TPMS.

JACKALZ