Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Anyone dissatisfied with the Z's handling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004 | 08:14 PM
d_railed73
Banned

Originally posted by clermont
Realy, I thought only auto's had it... is it a part of VDC or is it seperate?

Anyways, obviously I was mistaken, thanks for enlightning me.

Oh and thanks for making fun of my dislexia... lol
REALLY, how about we make fun of your spelling instead. Maybe we can start a SEPARATE thread about your DYSLEXIA, where you will take your turn ENLIGHTENING us.
Old 07-20-2004 | 04:50 PM
clermont

Originally posted by d_railed73
REALLY, how about we make fun of your spelling instead. Maybe we can start a SEPARATE thread about your DYSLEXIA, where you will take your turn ENLIGHTENING us.
Wow you must have really low self esteem to have nothing better to do than to make fun of people's spelling on an internet forum. Get a life.
By the way, I'm a translator/editor so I do believe that I can spell properly when I feel the need to...Even though English is not my first language.

Last edited by clermont; 07-20-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2004 | 08:19 PM
d_railed73
Banned

Wow you must have really low self esteem to have nothing better to do than to make fun of people's spelling on an internet forum. Get a life.
By the way, I'm a translator/editor so I do believe that I can spell properly when I feel the need to...Even though English is not my first language.
I do have low self esteem, thank-you for pointing that out to everyone. But my guess is that I am not alone considering the amount of projection in your statement. Why do you feel the need to qualify yourself so quickly - "Yeah, I'm sure the torque I had in my 96 Supra TT in no way compared that of the Z. By the way, I'm a translator/editor so I do believe that I can spell properly when I feel the need to...Even though English is not my first language." My bit of constructive criticism is to grow some ***** and learn how to drive your car, tool box.
Old 07-20-2004 | 10:55 PM
D'oh

The Z's handling in stock form is very good, but does have some understeer that can turn into oversteer when things go bad (since you tend to crank the wheel even more when understeering, which makes the oversteer that much worse when it happens).

In order to really learn the car you need to spend some time @ the AutoX or track so you can explore the limits a bit. Problem on the street is that little things like pebbles, pedestrians, puddles, etc. can really get you in trouble when you are near the limit. Probably good to stay away from the limit when on the street, even if it means letting a focus go by.

If you want to get the car better balanced, just get Hotchkis or 350Evo adjustable sways, ditch the 285's and go back to 245's in back and get 245/40's in front. That should make the car better balanced and help smooth out the breakaway of the rear at the limit. Of course, since the rear will come around more easily (but hopefully less violently) you will need lots of practice controlling things.

Good luck and have fun!

-D'oh!
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:24 AM
clermont

Ok, To clarify things a little... The driver is not the problem here, as D'oh just pointed out, sometimes it's better to let the focus pass...
I just wanted to know if this was a situation that could be fixed without to much hassle and if others had been successful at doing so. It seems that this is the case.
I had been contemplating Stillen's adjustable sways, you all seem to favor Hotchkiss though so I will be looking into these. Any feedback between the two?
I've decided to stick with the Z as it's simply more appealing than the S2k.
Also, in order to stop the comments on the driver, I'm not some kid who's parents just bought him a sports car... I've been driving for 14 years now, have owned many cars and driven many more. I also used to do some amateur ice racing back when I lived in Canada and let me tell you it teaches you a lot about handling a car.
Finally to all of you who keep bitching at me that the Z handles great and that it must be the driver, you need to get some more experience before opening your mouth... the Z does not handle all that well, it has fairly heavy understeer which is not a trait that was usually found in sports cars until recently. Sports cars usually tend to suffer more from oversteer, which is by far favorable to an experienced driver. Car companies have been tending to make their cars understeer more and more lately as an added safety feature for novice drivers who can't handle their sh*t at the limit. I find this very disappointing.
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:41 AM
VandyZ

Finally to all of you who keep bitching at me that the Z handles great and that it must be the driver, you need to get some more experience before opening your mouth... the Z does not handle all that well, it has fairly heavy understeer which is not a trait that was usually found in sports cars until recently. Sports cars usually tend to suffer more from oversteer, which is by far favorable to an experienced driver. Car companies have been tending to make their cars understeer more and more lately as an added safety feature for novice drivers who can't handle their sh*t at the limit. I find this very disappointing.
I don’t want to take up for everyone nor do I want to imply that what I say matters. You are correct about the under steer and mfg. safety concerns, however this is a real easy problem to fix. You can go about it several ways (most of which has been discussed here). Its comical to say because the car has under steer, it handles poorly. Its also comical to say that I cant get the car to drift cause the handling sucks. I think that’s why you got so many “learn to drive” type responses.

From the factory its not a drift car its not a drag car its not a race car. It is a well balanced street car that has very good track manor. Most every track event I have been too involving the 350, somehow someway the instructors and other licensed pro drivers end up in someone’s 350 for a session or two. I have yet to hear or see disappointment when they give the keys back, the reviews are glowing.

Most of us have gotten in over our heads once or twice on the streets where is really not appropriate. I have done it and when it happens I never say the car does not handle. I know I messed up and usually know what I did wrong. How can I say the car does not handle when in the turns before that I probably had the biggest $hit eating grin on my face.

Oh and IMO, “real” drifting is not driving at the limit . . .its well past the limits. I like to think of it as controlling chaos. That being said I don’t consider sliding the rear out a little in a turn or stepping out in a curve drifting, for that is controlling the car at the limit. (I have not drifted or even tried to drift the car, its not my thing. Sliding the car is a different story. )

BTW, I have 18" Falkens 245F 275R @40psi. It is relatively predictable and controllable under most circumstances.
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:36 AM
Gsedan35

Default Re: Anyone dissatisfied with the Z's handling?

When I drift the car it jerks real hard when the rear regains traction and the car rights itself. I can't figure out if this is due to my 285's on the rear or if there is something inherently wrong with the car's handling...?

I also never feel quite confident taking an 270 degree on ramp at a realy high speed... It's just not a confidence inspiring feel and therefore I don't explore the car's limits.

Anyone feel the same... Any ideas on improving the handling.

I love the way the Z looks and it has so much potential both in the looks department and the power department but the handling is just disapointing at this point.... I had great plans for this car and had been waiting for it since i saw the first concept. I would hate to have to swap it for a Honda. The more time passes though the more I'm considering it. It's the main reason I don't have more mods on my car yet... whats the point of dumping $ in if I end up selling it.
You mention that you had great plans for the car, didn't those plans include modifying the suspension? I'll bet their's a slew of companies that make aftermarket suspension parts for the S2000, well their's even more stuff to be had for that car then the Z. It's not that the S2000 isn't good to start with, it's that the people driving them want to make the car better, to shape it into a driving weapon that let's them extract the most from it. The Z is no different

One thing you did to your car that did not help behavior is your choice in tire tread width's. You doubled the oem front to rear tread width disparity. Do you have enough room on the front to go 265 or 275? If not, cut down the rear width. To be frank, don't get into chasing a look and wonder why the car's behavior is amiss. After that, spend $250 on adjustable sway bars and work to tune the car's behavior to suit you, do this after you've fixed the tire issue, sway bars are NOT ment to fix gross miss step's in setup. I don't know what model you have, but also consider chucking the oem limited slip, and replace it with a aftermarket one, not a cheap mod, but given the content of your post, it's going with the flow. Then consider improving the car's dampning, Koni's would do the trick, unless you have a desire for coilovers and your willing to spend the $$$ to get them.

My reply to anyone that comment's that the oem Z handling sucks comes from the pages of Road and Track. Yes the car understeers a bit much, but read the below cut and paste. I agree with the following quote 100%!

"Dynamically, there are few cars so immediately comfortable to drive quickly. Thoughtful chassis and suspension tuning have made it relatively easy (and hugely satisfying) to hustle the Z around offramps and racetracks alike. Excellent overall balance allows it to seamlessly process braking, steering and throttle inputs without unduly upsetting the chassis. Fore-to-aft weight transfer has a minimal effect on the car's composure, allowing the driver to transition from braking to power more quickly when cornering."

"At street-legal speeds, it seems there's very little a driver can do to upset the Z's composure. Overly enthusiastic corner entries result in a benign dose of understeer, while mid-turn throttle lift merely causes the nose to tighten its line. For those who really go overboard, Nissan's Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) uses the standard complement of speed/yaw sensors and selective brake intervention to effectively restore order. Adding to this sense of security are the Track model's Brembo brakes, which deliver consistent, fade-free performance in all conditions.
Even at the high speeds we encountered driving on the 2.5-mile "Big Track" at Willow Springs International Raceway, getting the 350Z to rotate its tail takes a concerted effort. Its natural tendency is toward a slight turn-in/mid-turn push that gives way to a balanced corner exit drift. The result is a car whose considerable limits are fun to explore without venturing too far into the unknown. Senior Editor Andy Bornhop said it best following his first hot laps in the Nissan, "The 350Z inspires confidence because it doesn't feel like it will ever bite you." This confidence is most evident in the lap times, where the 350Z turned a fast lap just marginally faster than both the M3 and 911. Being able to push the Z comfortably right up to the limit contributed substantially to its surprising pace around the track.
Now that we know the Nissan 350Z has the goods to be considered a genuine sports car, let's see how it stacks up against three of the hardest-hitting veterans in the game."

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-21-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:54 AM
jmark

Well written Gsedan35.
Old 07-21-2004 | 07:23 AM
Road Warrior

those quotes are spot on...35
Old 07-21-2004 | 01:27 PM
clermont

Ok, I never said the Z's handling sucked, I said it didn't handle all that well... reading comprehension people...
Also, I never said I couldn't drift the car, I was complaining about the jerky and uncomfortable snap back into line when getting the car back online... again, reading comprehension...
I do realize that 285's are to wide and if you look about half way back up the posts you'll see that I said that I ended up with 285's because 275's where out of stock and on nationwide backorder in the only two brands that provided them when I got my rims.
Also, when it comes to drifting you do want very sticky tires and not tires that break loose uncontrollably. People seem to think that you do not want a car with high lateral G's for drifting when it's actually the opposite.
Finally, I was planning on upgrading the z's suspension, but only in minor ways such as sways, fixing understeer typically requires much more than that including full springs and damper kits which I really don't want to get into dealing with as finding the right setup can only be achieved through trial and error and this can get real expensive real fast.
If we can get past the flames, I would still like some good feedback and comments as to the successes or failures in improving the Z's handling from people who actually know what they're talking about.
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:08 PM
Road Warrior

can i suggest you try listnening....go back and read your thread as many suggestions have been made and you haven't even acknowledged any of them you contradict yourself too so its hard to see what your after here....i also find it ironic that you can take a ducati but not a focus into a turn this post was not to flame you so please take it as constructive criticism
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:52 PM
jmark

I am pretty happy with the handling with the addition of the Konis and 350Evo sway bars. The car handles great on the mountain roads around here.
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:47 PM
clermont

Originally posted by Road Warrior
can i suggest you try listnening....go back and read your thread as many suggestions have been made and you haven't even acknowledged any of them you contradict yourself too so its hard to see what your after here....i also find it ironic that you can take a ducati but not a focus into a turn this post was not to flame you so please take it as constructive criticism
I too find it ironic that i can take a ducati but not a focus... I believe my exact words in the very first post were: "what's up with that"

I also do acknowledge people's sugestions, try looking at the middle of page one.

I have however only gotten a small handfull of usefull responses compared with the insane amount of flames.

I guess I should have expressed myself better in the first place... I'll make sure to do that on my next thread.

Last edited by clermont; 07-21-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:02 PM
clermont

I also acknowledged and asked a follow up questions about hotchkis sways near the top of page 2 but never got a response, just more flames.

Anyone want to respond now? Are they better, cheaper.... how do they stand up against Stillen or Nismo? I had never heard of them until I started reading on this forum.
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:39 PM
Road Warrior

as much as i hate to throw gas on a fire ....the answers are right in front of your face. you will find the following link an informative thread on sway bars sways hope that helps
Old 07-21-2004 | 07:30 PM
Gsedan35

I would still like some good feedback and comments as to the successes or failures in improving the Z's handling from people who actually know what they're talking about.
I've been on forums long enough to know when to ignor certain things, I'll ignor a number of things and reply for the last time, good luck sir.

Other's have had success with sway bar's alone, that feed back is all over the board. You have gross* understeer that you created, take ownership of it and work the laundry list of known fixes. The aftermarket does not make springs with the specs you think they do, many are stiffer in the front in fact, same for coilovers. If you wish to ignor your tire situation, fine. Work the list,

Tire pressure's
alignment specs
Adjustable sways
Tire specs

If that doesn't work, please take protocav up on his offer.

*gross is my take on your comment's, if needed, place a lessor word in place of.
Old 07-21-2004 | 07:37 PM
Gsedan35

I also acknowledged and asked a follow up questions about hotchkis sways near the top of page 2 but never got a response, just more flames.

Anyone want to respond now? Are they better, cheaper.... how do they stand up against Stillen or Nismo? I had never heard of them until I started reading on this forum.
You want adjustable bars, so cross the Nismo set off the list. They would improve the car, but they cannot allow you to set the car up to behave like you want, to fine tune it for YOU.

That leaves us with Stillen vs Hotchkis. One cannot say that on bar set is better then the other, bar specs* are not better on the Stillen, so that brings us to price point. The Hotchkis wins hand's down. I never seen a post on them by a member running them that was not positive.

*we really should not get into the business of picking based on specs.
Old 07-22-2004 | 02:00 AM
JimRHIT

Just installed my sways and went for a run down telegraph canyon (yeah .. its 3am ) anyways

heres my story
i was always happy with the handling of my car with the stock rays 18s (had em for a year).....then about a month ago I swapped out for raciing hart C4s w/ toyo t1s 255/35 and 275/35.

I almost immediately doubted and regretted the change ... it just felt so much heavier in the corners and no longer confidence inspiring .... just not sporty anymore ... i was scared to beat on it in the twisties anymore

But, I LOVE the wheels ... so I am no correcting a cosmetic sacrafice ... Hotchkis TVS 1 kit to the rescue

Now ... the addition of the Hotchkis sways set at stiff front/meduim rear have brought me back and surpassed my old handling ... best $250 shipped no tax I have spent on the car yet.

I am waiting on my springs on backorder ... should be here next week ... and I expect that my impressions of the car will get even better and be a more confident driver

I would suggest you take a peek at titanmotorsports, they have great prices on em and I got mine in 3 days.

Jim
Old 07-22-2004 | 02:24 AM
jmark

350Evo sways are another adjustable option.
Old 07-22-2004 | 01:21 PM
clermont

First, thanks for the handful of good responses. It's a nice change.

Jim, You set them stiff in front, and medium on the rear...? Wouldn't that accentuate oversteer? Did you mean the other way around (medium front, stiff rear)?
Is there a reason you went with this setup?

Regardless, seems like you're happy with it. I'm gonna go ahead and order a set shortly and see how I like them for myself.

It does seem like everyone who has them is satisfied.

Anyone have anything to say about the EVO's before I order myself the Hotchkiss Sways?

Quick Reply: Anyone dissatisfied with the Z's handling?