Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Lost my Rays lug key......

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004 | 02:24 PM
apex locator

Unhappy Lost my Rays lug key......

What can I do? I'm paranoid now whenever I drive that i'll get a flat. I dont think i have the original box the lugs came in....anyway to get a replacement key?

kv
Old 08-03-2004 | 04:26 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

who made the lugs? any idea. Check your invoice for what kind they were.
Old 08-03-2004 | 04:42 PM
polar

Do you still have the original lugs? If your in a tight spot and really need to get teh wheel off (i.e. flat) find a socket that doesnt quite fit over the keyed lug. Then hammer it on and use it to take the lug nut off - the points on the socket will grab onto the keyed lug. Although the socket and the lug are not in the best of shape afterwards, it's an option to keep in mind until you get a new key.

I just said to heck with it. I took off the keyed lugs and put the originals on, since what I just described above is what some wheel thieves will do if they don't have the appropriate key.
Old 08-03-2004 | 05:05 PM
ether

Default Re: Lost my Rays lug key......

Originally posted by apex locator
What can I do? I'm paranoid now whenever I drive that i'll get a flat. I dont think i have the original box the lugs came in....anyway to get a replacement key?

kv
large wheel shops have master sets, only do the destructive method as a last resort.. also there is a tool made specifically to take these off, if you can't find someplace that has the master key. Would not reccomend the find a something that fits and hammer on approach, that just another opportunity for damage to occur, get the right tool.. its not that expensive and a wheel shop is likely to have it.
Old 08-03-2004 | 11:09 PM
apex locator

Default Re: Re: Lost my Rays lug key......

Originally posted by ether
large wheel shops have master sets, only do the destructive method as a last resort.. also there is a tool made specifically to take these off, if you can't find someplace that has the master key. Would not reccomend the find a something that fits and hammer on approach, that just another opportunity for damage to occur, get the right tool.. its not that expensive and a wheel shop is likely to have it.

do you happen to know what this tool is and where i can purchase one? thanks.
Old 08-04-2004 | 12:35 AM
ether

here is a link showing the insides of the tool, basically reversed threads that dig into the lugnut

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...AT265_pg53.htm

and here is another of a set

http://www.mactools.com/ProductDetai...temNum=LT4000C

but a large wheel place will probably have some master keys they can try and/or have these removal tools to take off the locknut for you.. unfortunately I know this from experience.. took about 5 minutes for the shop to find a master key that worked..
Old 08-04-2004 | 08:26 AM
DmitryZ

Are you talking about stock Rays wheels? If so, then the locks you are referring to are nissan locks not rays - installed by your dealer. The dealership has a master set... If you post a pic I will be able to tell you if they are nissan locks.

Before you take your car to the dealer make sure you have another lockset or just regulars lugs to replace the one that they are gonna take out. Otherwise, they will charge you $$$ for a new set.

If they are nissan locks, you will not be able to use the tools suggested by ether as the lugs fit pretty tight and there is no clearance to fit any sort of tool over them...

Good luck

Dmitry
Old 08-04-2004 | 04:00 PM
apex locator

thanks ether, etc.

i have nismo wheels and rays eng. lug nuts, which comes with a lock nut and key....lost the key...

cant use my stock lugs w/ the nismo wheels

i will try super autobacs in OC to see if they can help.