Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Feathering question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004 | 08:49 AM
jomaxum

Question Feathering question

I have feathering, it just starting. Both front tires and the same degree on each. If this is due to alignment of the toe setting, why is it on both tires, on the same inside tread blocks and the same degree on each. Toe setting is independent to each wheel. So how is it that the toe alignment is out by the same amount and direction on each wheel? That is not possible in my opinion. This is not toe setting. It has something common to both sides, like shocks, springs, caster or design. Any comments?
Old 08-07-2004 | 09:27 AM
rgcarmack14

Default Re: Feathering question

Originally posted by jomaxum
I have feathering, it just starting. Both front tires and the same degree on each. If this is due to alignment of the toe setting, why is it on both tires, on the same inside tread blocks and the same degree on each. Toe setting is independent to each wheel. So how is it that the toe alignment is out by the same amount and direction on each wheel? That is not possible in my opinion. This is not toe setting. It has something common to both sides, like shocks, springs, caster or design. Any comments?
I too had feathering and I don't understand it either but I had the Nismo s-tune suspension installed and am amazed at the difference in the ride/performance of the car. My feathering is gone. I have driven about 8000 miles with absolutely no problems whatsoever. It rides and drives like a dream. Good luck to you.
Old 08-07-2004 | 02:34 PM
ml2316

if you think you found a fix for feathering you might want to announce it in the repairing and general forums. that seems like big news.
Old 08-08-2004 | 06:18 AM
rgcarmack14

Originally posted by ml2316
if you think you found a fix for feathering you might want to announce it in the repairing and general forums. that seems like big news.
I am not sure that I found a "fix" but my service manager said that for the feathering problems that they had seen, that seemed to take care of the problem. They have had no return feathering issues on anyone who has chosen this route. I failed to mention that they also changed my tires out to Michelin Pilots so whether or not that has had anything to do with it I don't know. All I know is that it rides and drives like a dream with no problems since all of this was done. I am certainly not trying to make it sound like I have a cure all but this has worked for me. The feathering originally showed up at 1500 miles and now after 8000 miles it has not returned. As I said, it drives and rides great. That horrible roar is gone and it is quiet as ever. He also keeps a check on the alignment every 1000 miles.