Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Swapping wheels (How long does it take you?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004 | 05:35 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker
Premier Member

Default Swapping wheels (How long does it take you?)

Lately I've had to swap back to my oem track 18's a few times and it's been quite a hassle. I try to save some time by jacking the rear up from the differential but that requires me to put the rear wheels on some 2x4's first so I can get enough clearance to fit the jack.

To get the front up I need to use the 2x4's and then do each corner at a time. Overall this takes over an hour. I'm looking into buying an electric impact wrench to save some time with the lugs..

I'm going to be doing this more often (swapping wheels for the track) So any tips on saving time or is there something else I can buy that'll make this hopefully a <30 min process? Also, any recommendations on the impact tool?
Old 08-07-2004 | 05:58 PM
C Ray Z

Default Autocross Swap

I swap regularly

Jack up the front on one side. Use a breaker bar to break loose the torqued nuts easly wth little effort. front and rear continue jacking to clear the front . /change the front wheel and then continue jacking until the rear is clear. change it.

Repeat on other side.

Leaserly 35 minutes with the torque or all around.

I use an 18V impact wrench but the breaker bar is faster than waiting for hte wrench to wind up and break loose the touque setting.

You get faster and better organized each time you do it and it seems to take less effort.
Old 08-08-2004 | 12:03 AM
J Ritt

zx,
A huge time saver is to use a cordless drill to actually take your lug nuts off. You can buy a square 1/2 inch chuck to insert into the tip of the drill (where you would put a drill bit). You will then be able to attach a socket to the end of the drill...voila, you'll be your own pit crew. No more unwinding the lug nuts off or back on by hand. You put the drill on high speed, and they are off in a matter of seconds. Also...same deal when you're putting them back on. Set the torque on the drill high, and just start zipping them on there. You don't need anything fancy for a drill either. I bought mine at Home Depot. They typically have a dozen models of drills for sale. I would recommend a cordless though, in case you want to take it to the track, etc. Also, get a spare battery pack and always make sure one is charged. I take my drill with me at all times, and just detach the battery so it's not getting drained when not in use. The one I have is a Dewalt. It's nicely made, and I haven't had any problems with it over the last 1 1/2 years. It's something like this:

http://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsea...ITEM=DW926K-2R

As an added tip for saving time...use your new drill when you remove the 15 bolts that hold the splash gaurd over the oil pan...talk about a time saver!

A good torque wrench is nice to have as well. I've used a beam type, and it's a pain in the ****...takes too long to get an accurate reading. Snap-On sells a sick torque wrench, but the darn things are expensive. Probably worth it though.

Your best time saver will be the drill though...get it, use it, fall in love with it.
Old 08-08-2004 | 12:56 PM
Zzzow!

It usually takes me 35-40 minutes to change out the wheels for autox and track stuff. I have an aluminum racing jack, plenty of clearance for most suspension drops. I have RSR springs, and I have a cordless torque wrench. Got both off ebay. I paid $90 for the jack and $190 for the wrench, came with 2 batteries and a very nice flashlight, Snap-on brand. The cordless is awesome, just a few seconds and the bolt is on tight. I also jack up each corner.

Cut at least half an hour off putting them on and taking them off too.