Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheels update and TPS question in the meanwhile....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:14 AM
jcage89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheels update and TPS question in the meanwhile....

Here is my original post about my defective Ro_Ja's...

ORIGINAL POST

They offered me $300 to keep the blemished rims, but can't replace them because there is no availability. $300 wasn't worth the eyesore for me so I found another shop with an identical set and confirmed that they were totally clean (no scratches or dings). I am sending back the damaged set (keeping the KDW tires) and the new place is sending out a new set so I get to wait another week, but better than nothing.

In the meanwhile, I need to figure out what I am going to do about my Tire pressure sensors in my new wheels.

The Sensors on the track Z are built onto the back of the stock valvestems. The stem hole in the stock Rays is in the drop center such that the Sensor lays close to the wheel barrel as shown in this sketch kindly provided by FSU_Z33 AT 350zforum.com

The stem hole in the Ro_Jas is in the barrel so the sensor would be sticking straight up. This wouldn't work anyway because the stock valve stem won't fit the new wheels.

The two viable options I've researched are...
Strapping the sensors to the wheel with a bracket and locking metal band like pictured above. (this is the way they used to do it in the old Corvettes). BZNYA came up with this as shown below and the sensors work fine like this.

or

Drilling a second hole into the drop center of the wheel. The valvestem and sensor would fit in the second hole on the backside of the wheel so you would never see it with the wheel mounted. The shop I bought the new set of Ro_Ja's from said they have done this on a few Z's with these wheels and have had no problems.

Obviously, drilling the hole would be easier/quicker, but would it mess with the structural integrity of the rims?