Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:53 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps

I had been thinking of making these for a while now. I finally got them on this past weekend. The stock slightly domed, Nismo centercaps were just too plain looking for me. From a distance, the "multiple, black hole look" was what I was looking for to give the illusion of 'light weight'!
Attached Thumbnails Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps-mvc-271f.jpg  
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 AM
ChinaClipper

Exclamation A closer look.

Attached Thumbnails Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps-mvc-272f.jpg  
Old 10-11-2004, 07:55 AM
ChinaClipper

Exclamation Still closer!

Attached Thumbnails Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps-mvc-273f.jpg  
Old 10-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE
Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 AM
ChinaClipper

Exclamation Closer yet!

Attached Thumbnails Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps-mvc-274f.jpg  
Old 10-11-2004, 07:59 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them. Hard to make? How are they attached? You thinking of selling them? I too think the plain silver cap is boring.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:59 AM
ChinaClipper

Exclamation Final shot!

I definitely need to reinstall the centercaps so the Z lines up better with "NISMO" on the spoke!
Attached Thumbnails Check out my new custom Z-logo CF Nismo LM GT4 centercaps-mvc-275f.jpg  
Old 10-11-2004, 08:11 AM
protocav

a little off topic, but based on the way your slots are facing on your rotors...i think they may be on the wrong side. the slots shoud be facing forward. i might be wrong, but you should double check.

Chad
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by protocav
a little off topic, but based on the way your slots are facing on your rotors...i think they may be on the wrong side. the slots shoud be facing forward. i might be wrong, but you should double check.

Chad
You could be right. If they were the StopTech ones then yes but since they are DBA's it could be correct. All depends on the direction of the internal vanes.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:20 AM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by protocav

Chad
I have been asked this before. Do a search on this forum. The answer from the manufacturer is that slot orientation is rotor manufacturer-specific and there is no performance advantage to orienting the slots one way or the other. The important thing is to be sure that the rotor is manufactured so that the slot (or hole for that matter if the rotor is drilled) is not oriented over or opposite and internal structural element such as a vane or pillar. I have noticed that dBas and Stoptech rotors have opposite slot orientation, and that is the way these aftermarket manufacturers intended it
HTH.

Last edited by ChinaClipper; 10-11-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:29 AM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by zwindsor
I like them. Hard to make? How are they attached? You thinking of selling them? I too think the plain silver cap is boring.
Thanks! They are not hard to make, but the cost for the raw materials, (especially the diagonal weave CF sheet), is such that while I wouldn't mind selling them, the retail cost would be much more than what I think the market could bear. I modified the original Nismo domed cap to fit the CF sheet and Z logo.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:38 AM
zlex

must have took a lot of work ... nice.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nifty......
Old 10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

those are the stillen rotors it looks like... dont make a difference which direction they are... the stop tech rotors are directional however with how their aero elements work...

that looks good! did you just use the regular double sided type method for the Z emblem? if so... are you worried about heat taking them off???
Old 10-14-2004, 07:12 PM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
those are the stillen rotors it looks like... dont make a difference which direction they are... the stop tech rotors are directional however with how their aero elements work...

that looks good! did you just use the regular double sided type method for the Z emblem? if so... are you worried about heat taking them off???
Thanks for the compliment Jason! Yes, those are the rotors sold by Stillen, but I bought the rotors as marketed by dba of Australia, the original manufacturers.

The centercap elements are sandwiched together with double-sided adhesive film. Since I wanted them to withstand (as much as possible) the higher heat environment of the wheels and brakes, I used 3M VHB (very high bond) high temperature, acrylic foam tape. It is good to 500 degrees. It is designed to be an exterior industrial adhesive with a superior peel strength, high UV resistance, and is solvent resistent. The foam properties also ensure some durability from the shock loads wheels endure. The Z logo is taken from the "350Z" rear deck emblem, and sandwiches the 3 mm thick diagonal weave CF sheet with the Nismo aluminum centercap which is modified by machining off the tapered dome so that the surface is dead flat. The CF is protected by overspraying with a satin finish UV-resistent clear varnish.