Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed limiter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
dont complain too much.. jdm cars got 180kph speed limit, thats like 110mph..
So you are telling me that the JDM 350z, R34 GTR, NSX-R, JZA80 Supra TT, and the FD3S RX-7 all have a top speed of 110mph???
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
rolling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roast
thezedsled: Let us not talk about brains digesting anything since yours is obviously having problems of its own.

You are arguing a moot point. It's obvious to everyone that speed limiters are for exactly what the name implies; TO LIMIT SPEED. The 350z without a speed&rev limiter would be drag limited, not gear limited, so there is no chance of blowing your motor. I have no idea where you pulled that idea from. Wait a second, yes I do. The same place your head is. I will also rebut another one of your failed arguments. The 155 limiter has nothing to do with extensive testing on a particular car. It's an agreement with manufacturers to limit speed to a common value, for several reasons... not simply because a particular car can't safely go faster. Another turd out of your mouth is about the coefficient of drag affecting safety. Where are you getting this crap? You are uneducated at best. The coefficient of drag by itself has absolutely NO impact on safety at high speeds. It doesn't matter if a car has a terrible cd, if it has a lack of lift and sufficient downforce it will be safe. You are also mistaken about the FORD GT. It is electronically limited to 205, not 255.

What a joke.

My question to the poster is, at which event do you plan on seeing 159 on the speedo? For some reason I'm not seeing that happen unless you have done modifications, which I doubt because if you had done modifications you probably would have removed the limiter already.

The tires are the biggest safety issue with high speeds, but the stock tires are W rated which means they are rated up to 168 (actual speed) so you do have a little room for more speed on stock tires. Anyone who has hit the speed limiter before knows the Z is perfectly stable all the way up to the limiter. I'm not sure how the car would do with 10+ mph because I haven't done it but I wouldnt expect any catastrophic changes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a roll cage if you plan on seeing much of those speeds, though.
just kind of curious.. where do both of you get these "facts"??

can either of you point to documented factory or engenieer sources?

no offence but you also are stating things as facts but making no refrences..
both of you make sence and its probably a combination of everything you both say PLUS Liability
anyway where does you guys info come from?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
anotheraznguy

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
So you are telling me that the JDM 350z, R34 GTR, NSX-R, JZA80 Supra TT, and the FD3S RX-7 all have a top speed of 110mph???
correct.
in japan most cars are limited to 180 km/hr
it sucks but that is why they invented speed limiter removers.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
tis true.

as a point in fact, i had a 92 stealth tt. got that car up to 165mph, at least thats what the speedo said. i never want to do that again.

a car like the z though should be easy to handle up to 140mph, so long as you dont have to turn, and the roads are good.

is touge drifting?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Togue is mountain racing, not neccesarily drifting.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
jakesford

The Ford GT has an electronic limit of 205mph. It has been documented (in factory specs) without the govenor to max out at 212mph.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Togue is mountain racing, not neccesarily drifting.
oh my! to the original poster, can i have whats left of your car? why in the hell would you want to go that fast on a mountain? are u crazy!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 PM
tmounk

Well put, but calm down. I agree the only factor at high speeds on a Z is the tires. But anything else could be a factor on a bad day....
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Fletch69z

Wow, everyone takes this **** way to seriously, .
Old 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
raptorbh12

ive gotten my speed limiter removed and i only hit 160 once and it was fun and its cool for bragging rights, but i dont think ill do that again, at least not in my car. No point in going past 160 in the Z because you have no idea how fast your going.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
1sneaky350z

i said i have touge wheels dummy.....look at my prophile...palm springs ca. not japan. n e wayse this forum sux u all are so off topic. out of everyone here no body has helped me in the slightest bit.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Chineseguy

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
i said i have touge wheels dummy.....look at my prophile...palm springs ca. not japan. n e wayse this forum sux u all are so off topic. out of everyone here no body has helped me in the slightest bit.

HAHAHAH!!! -1
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

155 is the factory limiter? ive had mine to 157 and didnt hit a limiter?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 AM
paulsmansfield

I know the idiots on this forum will have a go at me, but if you disable the speed limiter you will need to declare it to your insurance company. Guess what that will do to your premium?

Dont even think about giving me crap about not telling them.....surely your not that stupid.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:22 AM
SSZVirginia

Then you should go.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Miko

If safety was a concern..they shoulda limited it to 100mph...wtf's the diff btw 155 & maxing out @ 170...crashing @ either of those would most likely result in a fatality...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
MustGoFastR

yeah i have seen those products. thats why i asked if ne one has ever installed them. i am a verry competint installer but dont feel like cutting a bunch of wires in my ride. i tend to lean twards plug and play i like connectors. as for the reflash i live in palm springs if u cant get in pepboys youre screwed. ill drive to get it done though. could i go to the dealer and slip him a few dollars on the lo lo?

No offense, man, but you seem kinda dense. You've been handed the answers and are now making excuses of why you don't want to do it. You say your getting a Procharger, but don;t have anything in your area other than a Pepboys? Good luck with the install and tune. Get the reflash. AFTER you've put on all other mods. You just pull your ECU, overnight it to TS with a list of your mods, they reflash it and overnight it back. You'll still need some dyno time to make sure everything is right and if not, it may have to be sent back for tweaks. PITA, yes, but it's about your only viable option. OR nix the Procharger idea and get a Turbonetix ST kit, which comes with a TS reflash specifically for it. You'll need a reflash, as opposed to a module b/c you'll also want to raise the rev limit or your top speed will be rev limited. You may also have to swap the rear end gearing to that of an automatic if you find yourself limited by gearing. If you're planning on going that fast, I hope you're also doing some functional aero mods. Oh, and make sure you're life insurance and living will are up to date.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
buho62

Originally Posted by thezedsled
You could not be more wrong my friend. Other countries use speed limiters too, I know this because I have been to them and have owned and driven vehicles in them. I currently hold a drivers license for Japan, Australia, Korea, Hong Kong and Thailand. So I speak to you from experience when I say that almost every country uses speed limiters these days. The reason why the speed limiter is enforced more on all vehicles sold in the US whether they are made here or imported is because we have higher safety standards than some other countries when it comes to automobiles. For instance we require shatter resistant glass on all vehicles sold where as many other countries like Japan for example does not. You can get it as an option but it is not required. We also require every motor vehicle sold to be equipped with seat belts but some other countries like Korea do not. And the speed limiter is not 155MPH for all vehicles as you say, do your homework and you will see. The Ford GT is a perfect example as it is made and sold right here in the good ol U.S. of A. and it is limited at 220MPH, not 155MPH. And the reason why is simple, because it can safely go that fast.

Now that I have cleared that up let me retype what I said previously in a format that will be a bit easier for your brain to digest. I did not say that it isn't capable of going faster than the limited 155MPH. What I did say is that it is not capable of doing it safely and that is why they limited it to 155MPH.

Now, you do your research and then post. Thanks
This is true!!!

But also keep in mind that usually when you mod your engine to get higher speeds, you also mod your car to improve stability.

I bet you a million $ that government didn't limit to 155mph thinking "this is what the car will handle even after they add suspension, shocks, swaybars, spoilers, etc, etc..."
Old 02-14-2006, 02:35 PM
zugbug

Got the Z to 150+ outside of Mono Lake last October. Ain't no big thing. Strong, smooth and stable as all get out. It was my common sense "limiter" that kicked in before the electronic limiter did. Thank God. As I slowed down to take the obligatory picture of Mono Lake, smokey was coming at me. No, the radar didn't kick in. But I am sure he would have known I was doing way over 100mph. Had to do it once to find out if the Z was up to it. It is- and I don't need to find out again.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Zeenis Envy

cage it up and roll hard, and dont listen to a p^ssy

Quick Reply: speed limiter removal