speed limiter removal - Page 3 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

speed limiter removal

Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
  #41  
Nismo 350z
Registered User
 
Nismo 350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So.Cali 626-951
Posts: 2,240
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
dont complain too much.. jdm cars got 180kph speed limit, thats like 110mph..
So you are telling me that the JDM 350z, R34 GTR, NSX-R, JZA80 Supra TT, and the FD3S RX-7 all have a top speed of 110mph???
Nismo 350z is offline  
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
  #42  
rolling
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
rolling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roast
thezedsled: Let us not talk about brains digesting anything since yours is obviously having problems of its own.

You are arguing a moot point. It's obvious to everyone that speed limiters are for exactly what the name implies; TO LIMIT SPEED. The 350z without a speed&rev limiter would be drag limited, not gear limited, so there is no chance of blowing your motor. I have no idea where you pulled that idea from. Wait a second, yes I do. The same place your head is. I will also rebut another one of your failed arguments. The 155 limiter has nothing to do with extensive testing on a particular car. It's an agreement with manufacturers to limit speed to a common value, for several reasons... not simply because a particular car can't safely go faster. Another turd out of your mouth is about the coefficient of drag affecting safety. Where are you getting this crap? You are uneducated at best. The coefficient of drag by itself has absolutely NO impact on safety at high speeds. It doesn't matter if a car has a terrible cd, if it has a lack of lift and sufficient downforce it will be safe. You are also mistaken about the FORD GT. It is electronically limited to 205, not 255.

What a joke.

My question to the poster is, at which event do you plan on seeing 159 on the speedo? For some reason I'm not seeing that happen unless you have done modifications, which I doubt because if you had done modifications you probably would have removed the limiter already.

The tires are the biggest safety issue with high speeds, but the stock tires are W rated which means they are rated up to 168 (actual speed) so you do have a little room for more speed on stock tires. Anyone who has hit the speed limiter before knows the Z is perfectly stable all the way up to the limiter. I'm not sure how the car would do with 10+ mph because I haven't done it but I wouldnt expect any catastrophic changes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a roll cage if you plan on seeing much of those speeds, though.
just kind of curious.. where do both of you get these "facts"??

can either of you point to documented factory or engenieer sources?

no offence but you also are stating things as facts but making no refrences..
both of you make sence and its probably a combination of everything you both say PLUS Liability
anyway where does you guys info come from?
rolling is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
  #43  
anotheraznguy
Registered User
iTrader: (14)
 
anotheraznguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tracy Ca
Posts: 1,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
So you are telling me that the JDM 350z, R34 GTR, NSX-R, JZA80 Supra TT, and the FD3S RX-7 all have a top speed of 110mph???
correct.
in japan most cars are limited to 180 km/hr
it sucks but that is why they invented speed limiter removers.
anotheraznguy is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
  #44  
PoWeRtRiP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,916
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
So you are telling me that the JDM 350z, R34 GTR, NSX-R, JZA80 Supra TT, and the FD3S RX-7 all have a top speed of 110mph???
tis true.

as a point in fact, i had a 92 stealth tt. got that car up to 165mph, at least thats what the speedo said. i never want to do that again.

a car like the z though should be easy to handle up to 140mph, so long as you dont have to turn, and the roads are good.

is touge drifting?
PoWeRtRiP is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
  #45  
bboypuertoroc
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
bboypuertoroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Get out my way pimpin, Tampa
Posts: 19,974
Thanked 1,328 Times in 970 Posts
Default

Togue is mountain racing, not neccesarily drifting.
bboypuertoroc is online now  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
  #46  
jakesford
Registered User
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 735
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The Ford GT has an electronic limit of 205mph. It has been documented (in factory specs) without the govenor to max out at 212mph.
jakesford is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 AM
  #47  
PoWeRtRiP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,916
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Togue is mountain racing, not neccesarily drifting.
oh my! to the original poster, can i have whats left of your car? why in the hell would you want to go that fast on a mountain? are u crazy!
PoWeRtRiP is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 PM
  #48  
tmounk
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
tmounk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virginia
Posts: 636
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well put, but calm down. I agree the only factor at high speeds on a Z is the tires. But anything else could be a factor on a bad day....
tmounk is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
  #49  
Fletch69z
Registered User
iTrader: (50)
 
Fletch69z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow, everyone takes this **** way to seriously, .
Fletch69z is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
  #50  
raptorbh12
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
raptorbh12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 616
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ive gotten my speed limiter removed and i only hit 160 once and it was fun and its cool for bragging rights, but i dont think ill do that again, at least not in my car. No point in going past 160 in the Z because you have no idea how fast your going.
raptorbh12 is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
  #51  
1sneaky350z
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
1sneaky350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: palm springs ca
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i said i have touge wheels dummy.....look at my prophile...palm springs ca. not japan. n e wayse this forum sux u all are so off topic. out of everyone here no body has helped me in the slightest bit.
1sneaky350z is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
  #52  
Chineseguy
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
Chineseguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hong Kong, China
Posts: 2,545
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
i said i have touge wheels dummy.....look at my prophile...palm springs ca. not japan. n e wayse this forum sux u all are so off topic. out of everyone here no body has helped me in the slightest bit.

HAHAHAH!!! -1
Chineseguy is offline  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
  #53  
ARMSTRONGARMS
Registered User
iTrader: (65)
 
ARMSTRONGARMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arkansas/Nebraska
Posts: 7,539
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

155 is the factory limiter? ive had mine to 157 and didnt hit a limiter?
ARMSTRONGARMS is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 AM
  #54  
paulsmansfield
Registered User
 
paulsmansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know the idiots on this forum will have a go at me, but if you disable the speed limiter you will need to declare it to your insurance company. Guess what that will do to your premium?

Dont even think about giving me crap about not telling them.....surely your not that stupid.
paulsmansfield is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 04:22 AM
  #55  
SSZVirginia
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
SSZVirginia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
i said i have touge wheels dummy.....look at my prophile...palm springs ca. not japan. n e wayse this forum sux u all are so off topic. out of everyone here no body has helped me in the slightest bit.

Then you should go.
SSZVirginia is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
  #56  
Miko
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If safety was a concern..they shoulda limited it to 100mph...wtf's the diff btw 155 & maxing out @ 170...crashing @ either of those would most likely result in a fatality...
Miko is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
  #57  
MustGoFastR
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
MustGoFastR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
yeah i have seen those products. thats why i asked if ne one has ever installed them. i am a verry competint installer but dont feel like cutting a bunch of wires in my ride. i tend to lean twards plug and play i like connectors. as for the reflash i live in palm springs if u cant get in pepboys youre screwed. ill drive to get it done though. could i go to the dealer and slip him a few dollars on the lo lo?

No offense, man, but you seem kinda dense. You've been handed the answers and are now making excuses of why you don't want to do it. You say your getting a Procharger, but don;t have anything in your area other than a Pepboys? Good luck with the install and tune. Get the reflash. AFTER you've put on all other mods. You just pull your ECU, overnight it to TS with a list of your mods, they reflash it and overnight it back. You'll still need some dyno time to make sure everything is right and if not, it may have to be sent back for tweaks. PITA, yes, but it's about your only viable option. OR nix the Procharger idea and get a Turbonetix ST kit, which comes with a TS reflash specifically for it. You'll need a reflash, as opposed to a module b/c you'll also want to raise the rev limit or your top speed will be rev limited. You may also have to swap the rear end gearing to that of an automatic if you find yourself limited by gearing. If you're planning on going that fast, I hope you're also doing some functional aero mods. Oh, and make sure you're life insurance and living will are up to date.
MustGoFastR is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
  #58  
buho62
Registered User
 
buho62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WDM, IA
Posts: 338
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thezedsled
You could not be more wrong my friend. Other countries use speed limiters too, I know this because I have been to them and have owned and driven vehicles in them. I currently hold a drivers license for Japan, Australia, Korea, Hong Kong and Thailand. So I speak to you from experience when I say that almost every country uses speed limiters these days. The reason why the speed limiter is enforced more on all vehicles sold in the US whether they are made here or imported is because we have higher safety standards than some other countries when it comes to automobiles. For instance we require shatter resistant glass on all vehicles sold where as many other countries like Japan for example does not. You can get it as an option but it is not required. We also require every motor vehicle sold to be equipped with seat belts but some other countries like Korea do not. And the speed limiter is not 155MPH for all vehicles as you say, do your homework and you will see. The Ford GT is a perfect example as it is made and sold right here in the good ol U.S. of A. and it is limited at 220MPH, not 155MPH. And the reason why is simple, because it can safely go that fast.

Now that I have cleared that up let me retype what I said previously in a format that will be a bit easier for your brain to digest. I did not say that it isn't capable of going faster than the limited 155MPH. What I did say is that it is not capable of doing it safely and that is why they limited it to 155MPH.

Now, you do your research and then post. Thanks
This is true!!!

But also keep in mind that usually when you mod your engine to get higher speeds, you also mod your car to improve stability.

I bet you a million $ that government didn't limit to 155mph thinking "this is what the car will handle even after they add suspension, shocks, swaybars, spoilers, etc, etc..."
buho62 is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 02:35 PM
  #59  
zugbug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Got the Z to 150+ outside of Mono Lake last October. Ain't no big thing. Strong, smooth and stable as all get out. It was my common sense "limiter" that kicked in before the electronic limiter did. Thank God. As I slowed down to take the obligatory picture of Mono Lake, smokey was coming at me. No, the radar didn't kick in. But I am sure he would have known I was doing way over 100mph. Had to do it once to find out if the Z was up to it. It is- and I don't need to find out again.
zugbug is offline  
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
  #60  
Zeenis Envy
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Zeenis Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sterling , VA
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

cage it up and roll hard, and dont listen to a p^ssy
Zeenis Envy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speed limiter removal


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: