2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was the 350z your dream car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Nissan GTR as dream car. 350z is very nice sports car and if you change some of the parts it becomes an amazing handling sports car. Also big fan of Evo 9.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 AM
iamjustincase

Originally Posted by xTreyx
Thank god it's not just me here haha. Every time I'm reading on here I'm just like man I am probably one of the youngest people here. It is nice to actually have bought this and not had it built by mom and dads money. Although it would be much more convenient, it means more this way. Since I've had it I have said I also will not sell it. And if the motor goes and all else fails, LS swap. Came a long way since a 91 Camry.
Nope your not alone!
Funny I always thought I was one of the younger owners aswell. Never even wanted to admit my age after watching all the flaming the kids get. Usually the first response is " daddy bought it".

No not us (: I had to do an engine swap on mine when I bought it. No mommy and daddy help.

And this forum is great for info, the community is harsh most of the time but as long as you don't ask anything too stupid and are modest I find u get what your looking for. Besides forums wouldnt be as entertaining if ppl didn't get flamed left and right.

After lurking on the forum for a while like me are you anxious to get to the modifications or are you going to keep it stock?
Just curious. I'm rely excited to modify a real car this time. Been saving up.

Edit - btw, since your also new and speaking of kids and Z's ... Have you read the whole dugan story yet? Too funny. Great read at work.

Last edited by iamjustincase; 12-29-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In college I saw a brand new crossfire when they first came out in 2004 and really wanted one since it looked very nice, 6 speed, German Engineering along with RWD. Price was obviously too high for a brand new vehicle at 34k+. I was finally able to pick one up when they discontinued them in 2008-2009 from a dealer brand new for 50% off MSRP. I paid $17k BRAND NEW for the crossfire fully loaded 6mt limited edition. It came with 11 miles and I drove it till 10,500 miles and sold it for $16k. I picked up the G35 as a compromise since I needed a rear seat for my baby boi at that time. I still wanted 6mt, leather, rwd and all the other goodies that come with a luxury vehicle.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

As one of the original pre-order members of the board, the 350Z was still on the drawing boards when I heard rumors back at the 2000 Runoffs about Nissan reintroducing a VQ-powered sportscar and I was IN! At the time, Nissan had a dealer contingency award program to assist racers and I was working with a large dealership in the Denver, CO area. I went to the GM of the dealership and said I wanted to order a new Z when Nissan began producing them. "I just returned from a corporate meeting, and didn't hear anything about that", he said at the time. "Don't worry, you will", was my reply. We agreed I would pay MSRP, but no other fees that usually get added on to a hot new car.

The days of waiting and anticipating the arrival of the Z33 were some of the most enjoyable times of my life. Ask any of the preorder guys (if they're still around), it was FUN dreaming the waking dream! After driving and racing the 350Z for going on a dozen years, it's still a great pleasure!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM
iamjustincase

Originally Posted by dkmura
As one of the original pre-order members of the board, the 350Z was still on the drawing boards when I heard rumors back at the 2000 Runoffs about Nissan reintroducing a VQ-powered sportscar and I was IN! At the time, Nissan had a dealer contingency award program to assist racers and I was working with a large dealership in the Denver, CO area. I went to the GM of the dealership and said I wanted to order a new Z when Nissan began producing them. "I just returned from a corporate meeting, and didn't hear anything about that", he said at the time. "Don't worry, you will", was my reply. We agreed I would pay MSRP, but no other fees that usually get added on to a hot new car.

The days of waiting and anticipating the arrival of the Z33 were some of the most enjoyable times of my life. Ask any of the preorder guys (if they're still around), it was FUN dreaming the waking dream! After driving and racing the 350Z for going on a dozen years, it's still a great pleasure!
What an awesome backstory for a car purchase. If only I wasn't still in grade school at the time I woulda be one of those guys I think lol! That's really cool how u knew before the dealer and they sold it to you for just the MSRP nothing else. Lucky.

I've got big dreams to go into autox as soon as my time and money allow. Hopefully in ten years I can make similar claims to racing mine
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are great cars but far off of my dream car, F430 or a 458 Italia. My wife surprised me back in 03 with a 350Z as our wedding gift and I am on my second 350Z. One day I will move on or mod the Z with my kids. Enjoy your Z op.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
cudaben

my dream car is a 1970 superbird... guess im just different.
my current stable holds
06 350z
08 crv
65 coronet-restored
68 barracuda-race car
70 dart- in restoration

I have had the Mopars for years.

The 350z was lack of finding a super clean condition ls2 GTO in my budget, couldn't find a clean 03-04 cobra, the cts-v wasn't as nice as i assumed it would be.
I was sick of looking i had spent months looking for a GTO, or cobra. I was driving by a honda dealership my mom used to work at, saw the Z sitting on the front lines, way cheaper than the cars I had been looking at. went it asked if they ever got decent ls2 gto's in (gm deal also). the owner and i talked for a while i told him what i was looking for and asked about the Z. test drove it, and got it for 11.5k. happy with it.... but not a monster car by any means.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Trapu

Not even close !!!

My dream car is an Aston Martin Vantage V8 or a BMW M5 2001...Even an 850 CSI is a dream car.

Actually, i dont really like the 350Z as a daily car. I have a 350Z for the track and it really fun to drive..But as a daily, an 370Z is much better !

My father drive a 2014 GTR black edition and it a hell of a car, but it just too fast for the road IMO and the ride is a bit on the stiff side. But never as a dream car too...

Mart
Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Back then when I was probably 10 or 11 I used to think the 350Z was on the level of Ferrari. I also used to think that it was European and not Japanese. I did want one because of the FOX tv show fastlane but it was not on my dream car list. Ferrari F50, Ferrari 360 Modena, Ferrari 550 Maranello, Ferrari Enzo, 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo, Mclaren F1, Aston Martin DB7, Aston Martin Vanquish, BMW Z8 Alpina, Nissan R34 Skyline GTR, Honda NSX Type R, Lamborghini Mercialogo, 1999 Twin Turbo Toyota Supra, Mercedes SLR Mclaren and a Porsche Carrera GT. I never liked American cars back then besides the Saleen S7. I don't really like them now with a few exceptions like the SRT Viper.

Last edited by Jah70; 12-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by Jah70
Back then when I was probably 10 or 11 I used to think the 350Z was on the level of Ferrari. I also used to think that it was European and not Japanese. I did want one because of the FOX tv show fastlane but it was not on my dream car list. Ferrari F50, Ferrari 360 Modena, Ferrari 550 Maranello, Ferrari Enzo, 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo, Mclaren F1, Aston Martin DB7, Aston Martin Vanquish, BMW Z8 Alpina, Nissan R34 Skyline GTR, Honda NSX Type R, Lamborghini Mercialogo, 1999 Twin Turbo Toyota Supra, Mercedes SLR Mclaren and a Porsche Carrera GT. I never liked American cars back then besides the Saleen S7. I don't really like them now with a few exceptions like the SRT Viper.
See I used to think this car was Ferrari level too. I think that's why I was like "boom dream car!" But I mean now I'm thinking dream car as a Vette, R34, Supra or Ferrari. I love my car but now that I have it I obviously realize it's not exactly a dream car. Still nice to have obtained something that I wanted for so long and to get it this young.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:09 PM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by cudaben
my dream car is a 1970 superbird... guess im just different. my current stable holds 06 350z 08 crv 65 coronet-restored 68 barracuda-race car 70 dart- in restoration I have had the Mopars for years. The 350z was lack of finding a super clean condition ls2 GTO in my budget, couldn't find a clean 03-04 cobra, the cts-v wasn't as nice as i assumed it would be. I was sick of looking i had spent months looking for a GTO, or cobra. I was driving by a honda dealership my mom used to work at, saw the Z sitting on the front lines, way cheaper than the cars I had been looking at. went it asked if they ever got decent ls2 gto's in (gm deal also). the owner and i talked for a while i told him what i was looking for and asked about the Z. test drove it, and got it for 11.5k. happy with it.... but not a monster car by any means.
thats a hell of a garage man.. I am very jealous.. I am honestly an import guy, but muscle cars have a soft spot in my heart. My brother has had a 79 Camaro for as long as I can remember, and my dad has always been searching for the perfect road runner. Maybe some day I'll pick me up an old car and restore it. Who knows
Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Chromatic

Hrmm.. It was definitely a car I "day dreamed" about a bit.. Given I had a 300ZX back in the 90's I knew the 350Z would be a car I loved. I actually never test drove a 350Z before I test drove the one I bought. That's how much confidence I had in the car.

My ultimate "Dream car".. to me a dream car that is unobtainable with current financial means. So, something in the Ferrari Line or Bugatti Line would be a "dream car" to me.

But, unlike everyone replying here.. This 350Z I just got .. 2008, with 26k miles is very much "new" to me,.. and the best car I've had since my 300ZX.. and that's been 13 years now. There isn't another car out there in the 30-50k price range I'd want over this car.

I see a few mentioning Vettes.. I'm not a huge fan of them. Styling, I like. My dad has had half a dozen vettes as I grew up.. the last one being a ZR1 -- and even with it's ridiculous stock horsepower, etc,.. I drove it a lot, and didn't like the "feel" of it. Vettes to "me" feel long,.. like you are driving a boat with tight suspension. I don't feel comfortable in it, and not in a "it's too much HP kind of way".

My 300ZX was the best car all around.. fast, nice, with enough luxury.. and definitely not just a beat you into the ground sports car,.. just fine for a daily driver.

Just getting this '08 350Z,.. it has loads more Horsepower than that 300ZX had,.. but it feels so very similar to it. It fits my body well, and I'm dead serious when there isnt' another car under 50-60k I'd switch out for.. other than a newer Z or something.

Cars can be a million bucks, but still not feel right to YOU. The 350Z is the perfect balance of styling, comfort,.. and has a little more power than you would really expect from it.

I have a laundry list of cars I've been through.. 2 of them Mustang's with 300-400 horsepower. I was huge into muscle and mustangs for a long time. And is actually what I traded my 300ZX out for. But, the Z is still the best car for "me" in a reasonable price range.

Now would I give it up for a Veyron or a few models of the Ferrari .. sure, lol. But I'm not a huge fan of owning a BMW, Corvette, etc. I drive every car I can get my hands on at least once.. ie: Driven anything from a Dodge Viper to a Lotus.. (once).. point is there are many much more expensive cars that are not as good as the 350Z is for ME.

We're all different,.. and in a car -- styling is huge, but the way I fit in it, and the way it feels driving is equally as important. I want neither an ugly car,.. nor a car that bugs me driving it for whatever reason.

Only car I regretted buying was a Lexus LS400.. only Automatic I've ever owned,.. and no matter what I did to it, I just couldn't get into the Automatic, "cruise" , vibe.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by POS VETT
Mine wasn't a dream car; it's my wife's winter beater/daily driver. A 350Z was picked after she got tired of her M3 and I've decided to rid my stable of BMW altogether after selling my M3 a few years prior.

The process of picking a 350Z was a rather unique one. We've been looking for a few months and none of my suggestions were good enough, including a CTS-V & a Z06. She also didn't want a 4-door. Genesis Coupe wasn't good enough, FRS/BRZ/S2000/Miata were too weak, RX8 was plain dumb, and a 350Z wasn't even considered since I dismissed it for lack of power many years ago when it first came out.

Until a blue one pulled out in front of her and she had to slam on her brakes. She took a liking to 350Z after test driving a few & I figured it has ok power for a daily driver as long as it has the VQ35HR. Originally we were looking for a Solar Orange, but couldn't find one within the set budget.

My dream car starts with a name brand "Pagani".
I wish I had the life where my '07 was my daily beater... Personally I hate how Paganis look. But thats just me
Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Hrmm.. It was definitely a car I "day dreamed" about a bit.. Given I had a 300ZX back in the 90's I knew the 350Z would be a car I loved. I actually never test drove a 350Z before I test drove the one I bought. That's how much confidence I had in the car.

My ultimate "Dream car".. to me a dream car that is unobtainable with current financial means. So, something in the Ferrari Line or Bugatti Line would be a "dream car" to me.

But, unlike everyone replying here.. This 350Z I just got .. 2008, with 26k miles is very much "new" to me,.. and the best car I've had since my 300ZX.. and that's been 13 years now. There isn't another car out there in the 30-50k price range I'd want over this car.

I see a few mentioning Vettes.. I'm not a huge fan of them. Styling, I like. My dad has had half a dozen vettes as I grew up.. the last one being a ZR1 -- and even with it's ridiculous stock horsepower, etc,.. I drove it a lot, and didn't like the "feel" of it. Vettes to "me" feel long,.. like you are driving a boat with tight suspension. I don't feel comfortable in it, and not in a "it's too much HP kind of way".

My 300ZX was the best car all around.. fast, nice, with enough luxury.. and definitely not just a beat you into the ground sports car,.. just fine for a daily driver.

Just getting this '08 350Z,.. it has loads more Horsepower than that 300ZX had,.. but it feels so very similar to it. It fits my body well, and I'm dead serious when there isnt' another car under 50-60k I'd switch out for.. other than a newer Z or something.

Cars can be a million bucks, but still not feel right to YOU. The 350Z is the perfect balance of styling, comfort,.. and has a little more power than you would really expect from it.

I have a laundry list of cars I've been through.. 2 of them Mustang's with 300-400 horsepower. I was huge into muscle and mustangs for a long time. And is actually what I traded my 300ZX out for. But, the Z is still the best car for "me" in a reasonable price range.

Now would I give it up for a Veyron or a few models of the Ferrari .. sure, lol. But I'm not a huge fan of owning a BMW, Corvette, etc. I drive every car I can get my hands on at least once.. ie: Driven anything from a Dodge Viper to a Lotus.. (once).. point is there are many much more expensive cars that are not as good as the 350Z is for ME.

We're all different,.. and in a car -- styling is huge, but the way I fit in it, and the way it feels driving is equally as important. I want neither an ugly car,.. nor a car that bugs me driving it for whatever reason.

Only car I regretted buying was a Lexus LS400.. only Automatic I've ever owned,.. and no matter what I did to it, I just couldn't get into the Automatic, "cruise" , vibe.
the Z feels so comfortable to me. I took it from central Ohio to Virginia Beach this past year and I was comfortable the whole way (minus the few times i got gas and got to stretch but thats any car after 7 hours) I do love it. Not to mention the WV turnpike is a blast to drive quickly on
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by iamjustincase
Nope your not alone!
Funny I always thought I was one of the younger owners aswell. Never even wanted to admit my age after watching all the flaming the kids get. Usually the first response is " daddy bought it".

No not us (: I had to do an engine swap on mine when I bought it. No mommy and daddy help.

And this forum is great for info, the community is harsh most of the time but as long as you don't ask anything too stupid and are modest I find u get what your looking for. Besides forums wouldnt be as entertaining if ppl didn't get flamed left and right.

After lurking on the forum for a while like me are you anxious to get to the modifications or are you going to keep it stock?
Just curious. I'm rely excited to modify a real car this time. Been saving up.

Edit - btw, since your also new and speaking of kids and Z's ... Have you read the whole dugan story yet? Too funny. Great read at work.
I just now got into the car scene and got a lot of attention so I did make the decision to start modding this winter. Starting with just K&N drop ins, stillen headers, some test pipes, ARK exhaust, ZEX wet kit with possibly 75-100 shot. Havent decided 100% yet. Upgrade the clutch and breaks and such. Then kind of go from there. Also no I havent read that story. Also what engine did you swap in?

Last edited by xTreyx; 12-29-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I never was a corvette fan either no matter how fast they can go. It seems like the only people that get them are old guys that are in their mid life crisis or something. A better midlife crisis car would be a Porsche 911 or a Masarati Gran Turismo. The last Corvette I been in felt cheap and unrefined. A boring Honda Accord of the same year felt more well put together. But no one can't deny the power that thing makes.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The 300 ZX was my dream car.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Sean

69 gto.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
350zUSNavy

The Z was one of my dream cars and I love it but of course I would like a Aston Martin DB9 or a TVR sagaris. But for what i can afford im happy with my Z
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Jah70
I never was a corvette fan either no matter how fast they can go. It seems like the only people that get them are old guys that are in their mid life crisis or something. A better midlife crisis car would be a Porsche 911 or a Masarati Gran Turismo. The last Corvette I been in felt cheap and unrefined. A boring Honda Accord of the same year felt more well put together. But no one can't deny the power that thing makes.
I agree. That holds true for many American Sports (or muscle) cars to me. Don't misunderstand me.. I've owned 2 Mustangs, and recently a Pontiac Solstice (waaay too small.. and quick, but could have used another 75 horsepower) -- and in my experience,.. American cars just aren't built like Japanese, German, etc. Engine or body.. They don't feel as solid like the Nissan 350Z,.. or even like you say Honda (anything).. I've taken quite a few Nissans, and Toyotas multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on those engines without any major work.. Last one was the Toyota (Lexus ) that Had 350k miles on it and was still running like a champ.

On the american cars.. I as always ending up having to change the water pump at 40-50k ish.. and other such items on the engine that were accessories that should last 100k+ by default imho... that "generally" do on Nissans, Hondas, Toyota, etc.. I leave out Mitsubishi because many people I know (friends and family) have had serious issues with different models of Mitsubishi over the years.

This isn't to say American cars are a dumb buy.. they aren't,.. just don't buy one and expect it to go 250k without some major work in there.. compared to a nissan , honda or toyota type engine that are just engineered to last longer on the internals (in my experience).

And yes.. The corvettes I've driven never felt solid either. That said, I do wonder what the new 2014 feels like.. it looks like a million bucks to me. Every now and again an American car company will put out a winner..

IE: Ford hit a homerun with the 88+ Mustang 5.0's.. the aftermarket on those was (and still is to some extent) absolutely huge.

Our 350Z's cost more to modify.. but they aren't out of budget. While you can throw exhaust on a Mustang for under $500 fairly easily.. (installed professionally) you need a little more to do it on a 350Z... But it's not like modding a Ferrari

Quick Reply: Was the 350z your dream car?