Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Need help on parts for clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
tjc6591

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help on parts for clutch replacement

Alright, so i have an 07' 350z with right on 70k miles and the clutch its pretty much shot. i cant give it too much gas or itll just rev up and slowly accelerate, and the pedal is sticking to the floor almost all the way bottomed out. When i try to run it i get the burnt smell associated with the slipping clutch. its almost to the point where if i get a red light honda civics fly by me...

I'm not to savvy with clutches and transmission parts so i need you guys' help.
i went to nissan and got quoted over 2 grand for parts and labor.

What is ALL the parts i need to buy in order to fix it ?
I know the pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch, flyheel, pilot bushing/bearings and all but is there more to it ? i talked to a rep at jim wolf technology and he mentioned a flush of fluids and something about a slave cylinder.

Im completely lost here and need advice.
What do i need part wise so i can get this crap ordered. 9/10 im going aftermarket for prices and performance means, but i just need a list of what a kit comes with along with what other stuff i need.

thanks in advanced and sorry if i worded this terribly
Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

you need master, zspeed slave (if you do oem, it will go out again), fluids, clutch and flywheel

search is your friend
Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM
tjc6591

Originally Posted by travlee
you need master, zspeed slave (if you do oem, it will go out again), fluids, clutch and flywheel

search is your friend
I've searched plenty just had uninformative stuff like this all around..

Master, as in master cylinder ?

And when you say clutch and flywheel, does that include the pressure plate and throw out bearing and pilot bushings ??
Old 01-30-2015, 04:54 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

My jwt kit comes with the pilot bushing. The pressure plate is supposed to come with the clutch kit. You need to buy a throw out bearing.

While you are there replace the concentric slave cylinder with the beefier Z speed one.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:27 PM
travlee
Master

on the HRs the throwout bearing is incorporated into the csc. i suggest doing the master also while you are in there...

Last edited by travlee; 01-30-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM
tjc6591

Originally Posted by clubhopper
My jwt kit comes with the pilot bushing. The pressure plate is supposed to come with the clutch kit. You need to buy a throw out bearing.

While you are there replace the concentric slave cylinder with the beefier Z speed one.
Do you have a link for the kit ?
and with that kit all else i have to buy is the zspeed concentric slave ?
travlee said the throwout bearing is inside the csc, right ?

sorry im so dumb to clutches. I just need to make sure exactly all i need to buy so i can get the Z back in commission!
Thanks
Old 01-31-2015, 06:31 AM
travlee
Master

http://zspeedperformance.com/Nissan-...-VHR-OESBC.htm

http://zspeedperformance.com/ZSpeed-...ZSpHDCombo.htm
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
on the HRs the throwout bearing is incorporated into the csc. i suggest doing the master also while you are in there...

get this when you do your flywheel clutch change. Don't not do this or you will be paying some money when your oem one goes out. It will go out if you use the Jwt or any stronger after market clutch/flywheel combo with oem slave. I got jwt one and it has been great. I think the z1 has a deal on their flywheel clutch combo and slave and master cylinders. You wont be sorry and those Honda's are going to eat your exhaust. lol
Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 AM
AznAliaz

Default southbend

I'm also on the same boat as you, except mines has slipped yet. I know my csc is going bad at 39k miles. I am personally planning on getting this combo
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/South-Bend-Complete-Clutch-Flywheel-Pack-Stage-2-Daily-350Z-HR-South-HR-Daily-2-Pack.htm

With the silent flywheel. I hear this is less chatty than the jwt since the flywheel is heavier. You should definitely change your csc and your master as I hear they suck and will go bad with aftermarket clutches. While your at it, might as well install the ss clutch lines.

This is my opinion and would be my first fly/clutch change so if im wrong community, please chime in.

Also, i heard oem pilot bushing is better than nismo copper. Holds up better.

Last edited by AznAliaz; 02-01-2015 at 04:33 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
tjc6591

Originally Posted by AznAliaz
I'm also on the same boat as you, except mines has slipped yet. I know my csc is going bad at 39k miles. I am personally planning on getting this combo
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Sou...ily-2-Pack.htm

With the silent flywheel. I hear this is less chatty than the jwt since the flywheel is heavier. You should definitely change your csc and your master as I hear they suck and will go bad with aftermarket clutches. While your at it, might as well install the ss clutch lines.

This is my opinion and would be my first fly/clutch change so if im wrong community, please chime in.

Also, i heard oem pilot bushing is better than nismo copper. Holds up better.

Very convenient set up, comes with zspeed csc and a master cylinder. With that one, i wont need anything else ??
Thanks for that link, that looks like a pretty sturdy one for daily driving ??
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Fun40zx

i have the southbend stage 3. i got a good deal on black friday with the wilwood master for the de and its perfect after a year of abuse. Get the whole kit that is like 1500 comes with motul fluid. Some guy at the track was complaining that his clutch line was getting hot with the jwt clutch. I think he had the oem fluid while my car was fine.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 PM
tjc6591

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fun40zx
i have the southbend stage 3. i got a good deal on black friday with the wilwood master for the de and its perfect after a year of abuse. Get the whole kit that is like 1500 comes with motul fluid. Some guy at the track was complaining that his clutch line was getting hot with the jwt clutch. I think he had the oem fluid while my car was fine.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with the south bend too, im gonna get the stage 2 daily driver one. Figured no need for anything more sturdy than stage 2.
I called around and got prices for install and i got quoted for 750 bucks at a nissan dealership.
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for install, and did you get the silent disk option ?? if so was it worth it ??

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I was so lost at first. Finally dug deep into google and found out everything with the help of you all.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Wildwood slave... Jwt clutch and flywheel combo and I love it... Stock Clutch should last 120000 if you know how to drive.... 70k and 39k is pathetic unless your clutch dumping or bolt on and tuned
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 AM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want quiet smooth operation stay with OE or stock replacement parts.Everyone loves the notion of an upgraded clutch but unless you are running forced induction you won't need an upgrade. The stock master and slave cylinder are fine as evident by the 150k cars nissan sold using them, most last for 100k miles give or take 100k miles. They should be replaced as a pair and they should last the life of your clutch or more.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 AM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by monztr
If you want quiet smooth operation stay with OE or stock replacement parts.Everyone loves the notion of an upgraded clutch but unless you are running forced induction you won't need an upgrade. The stock master and slave cylinder are fine as evident by the 150k cars nissan sold using them, most last for 100k miles give or take 100k miles. They should be replaced as a pair and they should last the life of your clutch or more.
Some (a lot) of cars are plagued with defective slave cylinders that start showing their inadequacies by the 40k mile mark- as evident by all of the threads started by guys with clutch pedals on the floor on relatively new cars.

If I'm spending upwards of a grand to pop open that bell housing I'd make damn sure I'd put a slave/master cylinder in I wouldn't have to worry about for several years. Overkill or not.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 AM
travlee
Master

preach it brotha
Old 02-04-2015, 08:53 AM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

03-06 have traditional external slaves which are extremely cheap and serviceable. The 07-08 got the concentric internal which by it's very nature is likely to have a shorter life especially if abused or ridden. I don't doubt some bad ones got out the door but a hydraulic cylinder is a very simple device and unless you ride the clutch or have a faulty part it should last a long long time.

Pulling the trans every 40k miles isn't so bad, try pulling the engine out of a Z32TT every 5k miles.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
travlee
Master

the oem slave sucks, i had 2 of them go out on me before i wised up
Old 02-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your doing clutch don't be cheap and go OEM... Aftermarket clutches only make noises in neutral with the clutch not depressed and when is any one doing that? Do pivot ball, Master slave, clutch and if you can light weight flywheel...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Toneloc
If your doing clutch don't be cheap and go OEM... Aftermarket clutches only make noises in neutral with the clutch not depressed and when is any one doing that? Do pivot ball, Master slave, clutch and if you can light weight flywheel...
the HRs dont have a pivot ball

Quick Reply: Need help on parts for clutch replacement