Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Stain Roadster Top?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 PM
XV8DRVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stain Roadster Top?

Has anyone considered (or had done) staining the roadster's top? I've got a black one and I don't like how the top is not a deep dark black. I was thinking about staining it to make it darker. Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

303 will make it darker. I tried a bottle and notice a big difference on my second layer in 1 month. I got a bottle free from Sema Las Vegas but I will definetly purchase to use it again. I know several roadsters owner love it. Make sure it's the right one which at the moment I can't recall.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
netman_one

Originally Posted by XV8DRVR
Has anyone considered (or had done) staining the roadster's top? I've got a black one and I don't like how the top is not a deep dark black. I was thinking about staining it to make it darker. Any thoughts?
Use this product on it to protect it, preserve it, and turn it black after a few applications...

http://www.protectiveproductscorp.co.../formula2.html

Last edited by netman_one; 05-24-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:26 PM
XV8DRVR

netman_one: Are you sure this stuff is safe for the top? It doesn't specifically say it is safe for it. I'd be a little concerned. It appears that I'm not the only one though that has wanted to do this, so that gives me a little hope.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:20 PM
maxpowers

I'm no expert but I don't think you could stain the top very well given its made of a synthetic vinyl material designed to repel water.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 PM
jcpeyton

I agree 100% on the PPC product for the top. I've been using it about 5 mos. in the Arizona sun and it's really effective. I don't have such a high opinion of the paint surface product, tho.
Dean is an interesting guy to talk to, and obviously steeped in knowledge. BUT, anyone who tells me to throw away my PorterCable polisher, that Menzerna Final II and Meguire's nxt paste are junk and to use ONLY his final detail is bound to generate suspicion w/ me. Don't mean to hijack the thread-the protectant product works on the ragtop.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I'm no expert but I don't think you could stain the top very well given its made of a synthetic vinyl material designed to repel water.
+1
It's not a traditional "fabric" material
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by netman_one
Use this product on it to protect it, preserve it, and turn it black after a few applications...

http://www.protectiveproductscorp.co.../formula2.html
With the 55 Gallon one they sell you can turn a pikes peak white car in to super black in a month!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:21 PM
netman_one

Originally Posted by XV8DRVR
netman_one: Are you sure this stuff is safe for the top? It doesn't specifically say it is safe for it. I'd be a little concerned. It appears that I'm not the only one though that has wanted to do this, so that gives me a little hope.
Quite safe...
Had used it on my 04 ZR for 9 of the months I owned it, and when I traded it in on my 05, that black tops look had everyone there asking how I got it looking that way. The sales people loved how my 04 ragtop looked compared to their 05 tops on the lot (They thought I had purchased some other cool ragtop for it).

My 05 ZR should look like that in another couple of months I hope.

BTW: I see PPC has changed their web site pages recently.
The product page used to say it was also used on vert tops.

FORMULA 2 Cleaner/Protectant from...
http://www.protectiveproductscorp.com/

It cleans, protects, and will darken your top (from greyish to black) which we super black owners should love (I do!). It's a spray and a little goes a long way. No need to worry about applying it unevenly, however I apply accross the top, section by section with a microfiber cloth (soak cloth) just to make sure I cover it properly. First/Second results are quite good, as you do this 3 - 6 times (over time) you will notice how your top loves this stuff, and you will like your new top's black color.

I also use that product on All the interior (NOT THE DOORS) which makes the car look nicely black inside as well. Stuff is not at all greasy/oily so full dash/wheel, and between the seats, and the full back area (behind seats) all look a very natural black. Beats the hell out of that grey dry look if you do nothing... I would not attempt anything on our stock door panels as the doors material will most likely make anything look blotchy...

BTW: If you read my Perfect Detail Polish Post awhile back (search for it), you should altready know about that stuff and their Prestige Polish, and their leather cleaner to use on burnt orange seats. I Know a few other members are now using all these products I've spoke of, with their own great results.

Have Fun - Netman