Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Best top manufacturer for cloth top

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
wildebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best top manufacturer for cloth top

The wife finally needs a new top on her '05. I have decided to go the cloth route and to do the instal myself. I've read a lot of articles on the boards here but nobody really gives their opinions on the manufacturers. I've narrowed it down between the Robbins 2150 haartz and the ez-on haartz. The ez-on is 160 bucks cheaper than the Robins tops. Just looking for some opinions on the 2 as far as quality and problems with the installs. I've read a few saying the ez-ons seem pretty tight which leads to not sealing on the back deck. Any problems with the. Robbins tops people have installed? The Robbins states the velcrow flap is eliminated like the newer models? All advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install your own top?
My compliments.
I sure would'nt try it.
Haartz stayfast is the best in my book.
Again,I'd pay the bucks to have a pro do it.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
wildebird

Thanks for the response. I plan on using the haartz stay fast canvas just trying to decide which brand manufacturer to use. The top tutorial doesn't seem too bad, just time consuming. Most of the tops are pre drilled for fitment anyway. Ijust like doing things myself for the satisfaction. I know it will be tedious but thats the fun.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildebird
Thanks for the response. I plan on using the haartz stay fast canvas just trying to decide which brand manufacturer to use. The top tutorial doesn't seem too bad, just time consuming. Most of the tops are pre drilled for fitment anyway. Ijust like doing things myself for the satisfaction. I know it will be tedious but thats the fun.
Install isn't bad doing it yourself but it is time consuming, at least in my case since I went through each step slowly. Just give yourself time do you don't rush. Personally, taking the top off was pretty straight forward and painless. Putting it on gets tricky at times, just cause you have to tug and pull in certain places but nothing were you need special tools.

But not to get off point, I hear haartz is pretty good. The top will fit tight. I let it out in the sun for a bit while I took off the old top so and to let the heat relax and stretch it a bit. However it will still be a tight fit. After I finished I left the top closed in the sun for a day to let it stretch. Since its a new top when the latch is open it has an extra bit of spring than be before. But that's about it. Other than that you just have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM
wildebird

Thanks for the info! What brand did you go with and were you satisfied with the quality. The installer here in Gainesville, Fl only uses Robbins but if I can get the same quality I don't mind going with the EZ ON brand for $160 cheaper. Same material. I'll let it sit in the Florida sun like you recommended while I takeoff the old top. I'm pretty **** when it comes to car stuff, so I'll take a few days off work to get it done too. Did you have any problems during the install,like top not closing all the way or the gap in the rear? Did theygo away with a bit of stretching time? Thanks for the info.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 PM
bako350z

I had an ez on installed on my 04 and the material is fine, however the fit is a little off where the canvas comes down on the side behind the doors and the rubber gaskets are exposed. My installer said Robins tops are what he prefers and never has any fitment issues with them. He said the canvas could not be stretched any farther. Other than that the top is fine. Hope that helps, I was had the same dilemma and decided to save a few bucks, if I were to choose again I would probably go with the Robins. I think I paid $588 for the top and another $455 to have it installed. Good luck either way.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
wildebird

That's what I kind of was leaning towards. Robbins it is, just ordered one. Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im on the same boat and any update? (:
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
wildebird

Finished my new top project yesterday. All went smooth, took about 5 hrs the first day to get it off, then about the same to install the new top. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND TO ROBINS CLOTH TOP 2150. The holes were predrilled and the hardest thing for me was trying to get the defroster wires disconnected. Pretty straight forward. I was a little anxious about the install and wanted plenty of time. I have built several small block Chevys and tranny's and figured it couldn't be any harder and it really wasn't that bad. Even the cloth wasn't that difficult to stretch. Never even had to put it in the sun to make it more flexible. It opens and closes fine, with a small gap at the rear still present. The gap is sealed though with the weatherstripping. I would RECOMEND if you have a little know how this is a job an average person can do. Didn't have help either, although I'm the type of person who likes to tackle things on my own. Another difficult thing was finding the rivets. Went to 6 places and ended up at ace hardware. I have an extra 35 or so of these things so if someone here needs them I'd be more than happy to send them out. I'll post some pics when I get to my computer. I took a ton of pics on my iPad, so if anyone wants some more detailed pics I have them.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM
wildebird

Oh yea, and I saved over 1200 from the shop price!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
wildebird

Pics after the install.
Attached Thumbnails Best top manufacturer for cloth top-ipad-pics-195.jpg   Best top manufacturer for cloth top-ipad-pics-193.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
arcada

Great job !!!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
sks1979

I wanted to refresh this thread to see if there are other thoughts on the fitment of EZ On, Autoberry, AutoTopsDirect, or any other top seller on ebay? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
wildebird

The other thing on the Robbins top is they add new forward straps. I don't know if my old ones were worn out or what, but the new ones are a lot stretchier. They have 2 layers of elastics. I had to zip tie Down the third bow when I put the front on for it to pull easier. Like I said in my earlier post I have over 100 pics of the removal if someone needs detailed pics of things. I guess that's why it took so long for the removal.
I really like the back window too, it's not molded like the factory.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Name:  cool.gif
Views: 922
Size:  1.5 KB
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM
timfacchin

Originally Posted by wildebird
The other thing on the Robbins top is they add new forward straps. I don't know if my old ones were worn out or what, but the new ones are a lot stretchier. They have 2 layers of elastics. I had to zip tie Down the third bow when I put the front on for it to pull easier. Like I said in my earlier post I have over 100 pics of the removal if someone needs detailed pics of things. I guess that's why it took so long for the removal.
I really like the back window too, it's not molded like the factory.
Wildebird, I just found a new rip in my top as of a few days ago (bought the car two weeks ago...perfect timing!) and am weighing my options, one of which is to do the installation myself. I'm very nervous to do so but having just purchased the car money's a bit tight to be fixing it already. If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate any of those pics that you could send over!

Tim
Old 05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
wwilde001

I installed a Robbins Hartz Twill vinyl top last year. Looks exactly like the factory top and took about 8 to 10 hours to install. I took my time, and did a few extra things to ensure I got it right. Looks great. I would highly recommend Robbins.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
wildebird

Originally Posted by timfacchin
Wildebird, I just found a new rip in my top as of a few days ago (bought the car two weeks ago...perfect timing!) and am weighing my options, one of which is to do the installation myself. I'm very nervous to do so but having just purchased the car money's a bit tight to be fixing it already. If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate any of those pics that you could send over!

Tim
Im up in Atlanta at Flightsafety right now but when I get back home Ill get them off my IPAD and send you a zip file. I wouldn't be hesitant to do the top if you have some mechanical skills. Its really not that bad. Just take your time and plan for 2 days.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the small gap in the rear you were referring to?
Also, can you post where you purchased the top?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
wildebird

Got the top off EBAY for 689 shipped to my door.

Quick Reply: Best top manufacturer for cloth top