Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 03:32 PM
alex30327

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System

Has anyone upgraded the security system on thier Z yet? I was looking to do this, but don't know where to go, or which brands are best.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Z4life

Compustar has a top of the line one out right now. It's the 2WSS-AS...its a programmable alarm with a LCD remote and it also has remote start built into it. It's a great alarm to look into.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Lightning

along the same lines, you might want to check out Viper's 790XV Responder system... same concept, a lot less money.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:24 AM
VaGentleman

I would highly recommend a second alarm system. About 3 weeks ago all of my wheels were stolen from the car. The car was right in front of my house.

Now I have 2 (soon to be 3) levels of security on my Z.

1. 2 sets of locking lugnuts on each wheel.

2. The Compustar Security System. It comes with a pager that will alert you if you are w/in 1.25 miles of the car which sensor has been activated.

The basic unit ($450) has sensors for unauthorized door/hood/hatch opening and a 2-stage shock sensor (1st stage for minor taps on the car/wheels; 2nd stage for major hits to the car (if you lifted your door handle and just let go, the impact would set the 2nd stage sensor off). This would also be activated if someone was messing with your wheels, i.e., kicking the tires or putting a wrench on a lug nut.

As an optional feature, I also had a 2 zone, radar-based perimeter sensor installed. If someone gets within a body-length of the car, it will chirp 4 times (and let me know through the pager).

As an additional option, I had a motion sensor installed so that if it is tilted or in anyway moved, the alarm will be activated and I will be notified.

The cost of the system installed (and the tech came to me for the installation) was $750.

If you want more info..you can go to www.compustar.org. I purchased the 2WSS Series.

3. GPS2000. This system will inform you by a phone call or e-mail if your car has been moved without your authorization, i.e., stolen. Then you can go their website (or call a special phone #), enter your ID# and you can track your car using GPS technology throughout 99% of the US territory (LoJack uses radio wave technology). You can call the police and let them know exactly where your car is located or you can give them the website/ID and let them track it.

It has a backup battery so no one can just steal the car and go to a nearby garage and cut the main batter cable to disable it. Also, if they did do such a thing...the system will tell you the last route the car took before losing its signal.

The cost for this installed is $600. If you want to read more about it go to www.gps2000online.com

I live in a very nice neighborhood and didn't think I would ever have anything happen to my car. I've been thinking of how I could modify the car's appearance/performance etc..., but after my wheels were stolen, it occurred to me that before anything else, I want to keep my car in my possession and make it as difficult a target for crime as possible. You can't modify the appearance/performance of the car if you don't have the car!

Y'all have a great New Year!!!

VG
Old 01-02-2003, 08:20 PM
alex30327

Thanks! I will look into these security systems and give a review after I install one!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:34 PM
hokie350

VaGentleman,

Wow, I've heard about your car having its wheels stolen. It's common talk that 2-3 350z in Alexandria have had their wheels stolen. My company is based on N. Washington street down there, so word of mouth has gotten to me already. Sorry to hear that, I will have to consider a good security system myself. I might need to talk to you privately soon. heh. Hope your luck is better in this new year.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:55 PM
datspeed77

I recommend the Clifford Concept 600 for your 350Z. I comes with starter and ingition kill with a normally open circuit. This means that even if they found the alarm and cut the wires, the car will still not start. You can add a tilt sensor which will make the alarm go off if the car is being jacked up. Also comes with the proximity sensor and automatic windows up.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:55 AM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by hokie350
VaGentleman,

Wow, I've heard about your car having its wheels stolen. It's common talk that 2-3 350z in Alexandria have had their wheels stolen. My company is based on N. Washington street down there, so word of mouth has gotten to me already. Sorry to hear that, I will have to consider a good security system myself. I might need to talk to you privately soon. heh. Hope your luck is better in this new year.

If I can be any help whatsoever or if you want a demonstration of the system, don't hesitate to contact me. You can call me at work (703-308-4652...my name is Ray, PM me here or e-mail me at nquirer85@hotmail.com).

The people who did the install for me had to add a few extra diodes here and there because the alarm would go off when the ECU went into "sleep" mode. The guy who installed mine did a great, clean install and for a $25 fee, came to the dealership while the car was waiting for the wheels.

When you get your Z, you wanna keep it that way...YOURS!..and that means every last part of it!

VG
Old 01-04-2003, 11:58 AM
jritoli

Default Alarms

My Performance model came with a "Satronics" satellite alarm. It's almost like a LoJack or OnStar but without monthly fees.

I see simply dial an 800# enter my pin number and press an option to door unlock or lock my doors remotely. The main feature is a carjack/ cartheft feature which lets you diable your car anyhere at anytime. If the car is stolen, by calling my 800#, entering my pin number and pressing option #9. The cars lights and horn begin honking and once the cars for 5 seconds the will stall until the system is reset. Seems to work well.