Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DIY - How to install/route USB cable in rear cubby pocket

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 PM
djcalle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY - How to install/route USB cable in rear cubby pocket

I thought I’d make this guide to detail the step I took to do this. It’s really basic for most guys out here but if you’re thinking about doing this and never took any panels out of you Z before, it might save you some trouble.

For all pictures, please see the attached pdf. I uploaded a few of them for the sake of this thread but not sure how long they will last.

I thought pdf would be the most resilient solution for pictures as I see so many threads with broken picture links.

So here we go:

Before you start:
-Chose your pocket wisely, I originally used the pocket behind the driver seat and it required circus training just to swap a USB thumbdrive! I had to go back and redo it to use the passenger side pocket which is much more accessible from the driver seat.
-You should need about 5ft of cable. The 3ft OEM cable was too short so I had to use a 3ft USB extender cord. Use a good one, beware of the cheap eBay ones, they usually only work well for keyboards and such. I had a 6ft USB extender cable from eBay which works fine with my arcade sticks but when I tried using it with my ipod and Head unit, the HU spat out all sorts of errors :S

1) Remove rear cubby pocket
This step doesn’t require tools. Just stick both your hands in the pocket and grab a hold of the holes on the bottom top corner with your fingers, then pull firmly towards you. It should pop right out.
Do not pull on the door, it will break.

2) Prepare cubby for the USB cable
Choose your cable entry point (I used the middle). The existing hole are just a bit too small to fit the male end of your USB cable, so you want to file it a little.

To secure the cable inside, I used one of those shielded thingies (please let me know if you know what it’s called) it also gives the cable end some weight which makes it more stable.

On the outside, I used Zip ties. The loop is to protect the cable from strain should there be excessive pull from the inside.

3) Remove Center Dash console
This step has been well covered before, use one of these links:

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

http://how-to-gps.blogspot.com.au/20...0z-center.html

Videos for AT:

4) Remove Center console

For this step you do not need to remove the gearshift **** and the AC control panel, although I advise to disconnect the white flat ribbon cable from the AC control box (white plastic box).

There is a total of 5 screws to remove and one connector to disconnect, the console pops right out after that

Screw1: under the ashtray/coin pocket

Screw 2-3: behind the seats, on each side of the console.

Screw 4-5: These are where the centre console meets the dash

Disconnect the following connector:
As usual there is a security clip to push, I had to go from under to unclip it.

5) Start routing the cable
Here are a few pictures of how I routed mine:

Once you get the cable through that hole, you’ll need to grab it from the bottom of the glovebox, to access this you just need to pop out the plastic cover with a trim removal tool or a screwdriver.

From there, feed the cable through the centre console as indicated by the arrow and the picture below

Using zip ties and common sense, route the cable along the existing wiring:

In this picture I realised I did not insulate my USB connectors, so went back and fixed it with electrical tape.

Once you reached the existing radio harness, put it all back together and you’re done.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
USBrearcubby.pdf (486.9 KB, 255 views)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Excellent thread. Well structure and illustrated.

Stickied...
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 PM
websk8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by djcalle

2) Prepare cubby for the USB cable
Choose your cable entry point (I used the middle). The existing hole are just a bit too small to fit the male end of your USB cable, so you want to file it a little.

To secure the cable inside, I used one of those shielded thingies (please let me know if you know what it’s called) it also gives the cable end some weight which makes it more stable.
This is called Ferrite bead/core and is used to help prevent electrical interference.

Thanks for a very detailed article, I will be needing it next week, so I appreciate your effort very much.