Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Need Help choosing R-Comp Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
chamois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help choosing R-Comp Tires

I am looking to buy a set of R comp tires for Auto X next season and I was wondering what you think would be my best choice. I would also like to be able to switch the tires @ home and then drive to the event on the R-Comp tires. I would be using 17" rims w/ tires sizes around 245-45-17 or so.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
BloMyS14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Kumho Victoracers and I like them. This is my first season on R-comps so maybe some others that have more experience with them can give you some other options.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

275/40R17 Kumho V710s.

The only downside is that driving to and from events will tend to heat-cycle (and harden) the tires.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
eddie lee

I use TOYO RA1, I like it so much!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Billhyco

what about the hoosier A6? supposed to be a killer tire....
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 AM
tmak26b

You are not going to be able to drive home on the Hoosiers, or even the V710. I got only 4 useful events out of the V710 (2 overall FTDs, 2 top 5). After that, it was back to where the RA1s were.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Billhyco

i run v710s on the track but never ran a road coarse with them or driven anywhere but the track with them on. they have lasted for several events and hard laps. I did blister the front right at the Rock but after further review it was my own damn fault. Man that is hard to admit. I had way to much pressure in them and just overheated it.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 AM
chamois

Im really just looking for an r-comp tire that can still be driven on public roads and not wear out too much. im only looking to auto X these tires so i doubt i would be doing any road racing. are all R-comp tires able to be driven on public roads?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 AM
z-u-later

I suggest you get a used set of r-compound tires before you splurge on new ones. Learn first how to handle r-compound tires using the used set.

Contact John Berget at JB Racing Tires. He specializes is selling used r-compound tires. Below is his website:

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

I bought my 1st r-compound tires from John -- they were a used set of Toyo RA-1s (245/40/18) for $350 shipped. I've used them almost the entire autocross season this year and they still have plenty of life left. I've even driven them to autocross events without any issues. The RA-1s are awesome autocross & road course tires.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Billhyco

v710's are DOT approved, would I drive on them in the rain - nope. Would i risk them on the road, picking up a nail or cut - nope. Just to expensive to risk. Any r-compound is going to be atleast 180 or more unless you have a
15" wheel your putting them on. I think the used idea has been the best thus far. There is a local guy that has tons of used tires... shoot him an email and see what he has.... dmurphy@murphymotorsports.net his name is David Murphy.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Datona Jess

Wow, I am the odd man out.
I would say get the new BFG R compound
I have seen many comparos' in SCCA magazine, and Grass roots motorsports. And people rave about them, and the track times are EXTEMELY consistent. They were number 1 in all the ones I read

I also know the Nissan Tech team uses them and they have loved them over there old Hoosiers.
I love the fact that when you push that tire you get a little squeel like a normal tire, letting you know your pushing the envelope.

Just my personal experience.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my experience, there are two classes of R-Compound DOT tires (and I am assuming you mean DOT's and not full slicks).

There are Hoosiers, and there is everyone else.

The A/R6 tires a great track tires, but they are not for street/track use. They wear faster and get hot quick. For dual purpose tires, it's really hard to beat the Toyo RA-1s or the Nitto NT001 (think that is right).

I am waiting the reviews on the new R-888's that are suppose to give the R6's a run for thier money while still being streatable.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with the RA-1 and NT-01 in his suggested application is that they are road racing tires, not autocross tires. They take a lap or two (3-4 miles) to warm up to optimal temps for grip. There is no chance for that on an autocross circuit. The auto-X tire has to stick when cold.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Eagle1
The problem with the RA-1 and NT-01 in his suggested application is that they are road racing tires, not autocross tires. They take a lap or two (3-4 miles) to warm up to optimal temps for grip. There is no chance for that on an autocross circuit. The auto-X tire has to stick when cold.
That's why I drive my Z to autocross events with the RA-1s already mounted so they're already warmed up when I get there. But then again, it wears out faster.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by z-u-later
That's why I drive my Z to autocross events with the RA-1s already mounted so they're already warmed up when I get there. But then again, it wears out faster.
I hate to break it to you man, but tires cool down rather quickly so driving to the event on them is probably not making a bit of difference unless you are not stopped for more than a few minutes before you run.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
first350

I loved my Hankook R-comps for autoX...but their autoX (softest compound) is too soft for driving to/from events.

*now that they've gone through 12+ events, they're harder, so I may drive on the street w/ them in if there's no rain/wet conditions.

I've already done RA-1's...they worked great for the street/track/drag/autoXing. IMO they take too long to heat up to be competetive for autoX, but they're still light yrs ahead of any street tire.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
I hate to break it to you man, but tires cool down rather quickly so driving to the event on them is probably not making a bit of difference unless you are not stopped for more than a few minutes before you run.
Nah, it just takes 1-2 runs after driving to the event and they're sticky as hell.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
mikhe

RA1 are pretty decent in the rain (with thread)and on the dry. Used it for 2 year on my golf and it's great. Ive also hear good things with the Advan 048. They supposely have better thread wear then RA1s and are pretty good in the rain ( again with thread) and in the dry. I've driven on both tires ( RA1 alot more) and feel RA1 is better overall grip wise.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by mikhe
Ive also hear good things with the Advan 048.
The A048s are the worst R-Compound tire I have ever tried. We have tried Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Pirelli P Zero Corsa, Toyo RA1, and the A048 and the A048 is BY FAR the worst. Put it this way, when Scott (WA2GOOD) went to VIR he picked up 5 seconds a lap on the same car, same weekend, no other adjustments by switching from the A048s to some RA1s. And the RA1s were a little smaller. On paper and just by looking at them you would think they are a great tire, but lap times don't lie. They honestly didn't feel much better than good street tires.

We have tried a lot of tires on our time attack car over the past few years, especially running three different tire classes and we are continuing to try new ones. We have heard great things about the new Toyo R888 so we are going to try those out this weekend at Laguna Seca.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
adrenaline_rush

I've driven on the V710's to and from events but it's probably not something you want to do on a regular basis.

What I would recommend is probably the Kumho Victoracer. They're cheap, durable, have good wet weather performance, grip better than the RA1's, A032R, PZero Corsa, and Sport Cups but are a notch below the V710's and Hoosiers. They're asymmetric and have lots of meat on the outside edge so they're good for camber challenged cars as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....ictoRacer+V700

On the site, it says you have to shave them - don't bother, they're very good at full tread depth. $160 for your size is cheap as well.

Quick Reply: Need Help choosing R-Comp Tires