Notices

DIY: Black Housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12v_dub
Did not think of that, thanks for the input. What does it do for the bulb? gives it more light?
Yes, the diffuser is there to spread out the light more evenly. I believe Nissan added it to the '06+ bi-xenons since the headlights are a lot brighter than the 03-05 non-projectors, hence at night, the diffuser creates an even spread for the reflected light and makes the blinkers more visible to other drivers.

When we paint the chrome housing in a darker shade, that takes away all reflection from the blinker assembly anyway, so adding the diffuser is useless at that point; it just takes away from the visual appeal of the painted lights themselves.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excellent write-up... im doing this project this weekend.... but i need new clear lenses on the housings... i wanted to get them from ebay and looked at them previously to do this but didnt know how till i pulled open this thread.... anyway... the prices on these headlights are $100 more than they were a couple months ago.... anyone know where i can get some cheap 2003+ headlights just so i can pull the clear lens off and do the black housing? for some reason ebay prices are 3 times more than they were a couple months ago.... weird
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 AM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaProdigy
excellent write-up... im doing this project this weekend.... but i need new clear lenses on the housings... i wanted to get them from ebay and looked at them previously to do this but didnt know how till i pulled open this thread.... anyway... the prices on these headlights are $100 more than they were a couple months ago.... anyone know where i can get some cheap 2003+ headlights just so i can pull the clear lens off and do the black housing? for some reason ebay prices are 3 times more than they were a couple months ago.... weird
You can buy the clear ones from a guy name RickS2K. Here is his link http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php.

~Robert
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
You can buy the clear ones from a guy name RickS2K. Here is his link http://www.ricks2k.com/home.php.

~Robert
sup sifu... it seems as though he's talking about the amber stripe... not the entire front headlight lens.... thats what i need... my entire housing lens is covered by stress fractures on both sides... as the noob i was several months ago... i put aero-tech lens covers on them and the result was ruined headlight lens.... do you know where i can get my hands on the entire clear housing lens.... also thanks for the link.... i'll be getting a pair of those too
Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by DaProdigy
sup sifu... it seems as though he's talking about the amber stripe... not the entire front headlight lens.... thats what i need... my entire housing lens is covered by stress fractures on both sides... as the noob i was several months ago... i put aero-tech lens covers on them and the result was ruined headlight lens.... do you know where i can get my hands on the entire clear housing lens.... also thanks for the link.... i'll be getting a pair of those too
ohhhh sorry about that. Yeah I think it will be difficult finding just the outside lens. You might as well invest in some used set of headlights.

~Robert
Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 AM
DaProdigy

yea i might have to do that... thats going to be a set-back in my project though... i'll post pics when it's all said and done...
Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

thnx for the write-up..!

can someone doing this sometime soon contribute to the thread with pics of the whole process? i think it would be more helpfull for the noobs (me) ..

thnx
Old 11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Goku350z2007

The black house may look sicker if the come up with some kind of carbon fiber spray pain instead of the regular black paint...... just an idea
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
TreeZ

i see people doing this in a day. i thought you had to wait for the paint to dry before putting it in the oven?? if not, i'm doing mine this weekend!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by Goku350z2007
The black house may look sicker if the come up with some kind of carbon fiber spray pain instead of the regular black paint...... just an idea
I doubt that would happen. If it was possible, I bet people would be spray painting their car.

~Robert

Originally Posted by TreeZ
i see people doing this in a day. i thought you had to wait for the paint to dry before putting it in the oven?? if not, i'm doing mine this weekend!!
The paint dry off pretty fast. I let it dry about 10~15 minutes per coat before putting it all back together.

~Robert
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 AM
MitchTheBoss

just a quick tip...
i did this on my old car and when i put it back in the oven to seal it again what i did was bake it at 200 degrees for 10 minutes to soften the glue again then push it all together and put clamps on it for about 5 minutes... i used like 6 clamps to make sure all around was very tight... i then put it back in the oven for 5 mins and took it out and put the clamps back on and in about 10 mins you will have a tighter seal then they were from the factory... this saves the messy silicone at the end... and to avoid moisture make sure the reassembly of it is in a dry area and put the bulbs in at this point aswell
Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 AM
MitchTheBoss

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
I doubt that would happen. If it was possible, I bet people would be spray painting their car.

~Robert

The paint dry off pretty fast. I let it dry about 10~15 minutes per coat before putting it all back together.

~Robert
let the paint dry for about an hour then put it in the oven at 170 for 20 mins and it should be almost totally dry then.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
uniqueIllusions

anyone got suggestions for people with overlays on their headlights already ???
Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
cbr900son

Hmm a buddy was telling me to get the bumper off u need to remove the splash gaurds in the wheel well too. Is this correct?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM
bornNbred

no....you dont they will push out of the lip of the bumper
Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
07carbonsilver

Originally Posted by brandonanix
I used flat black KRYLON paint, no primer, no sanding and it came out awsome! I kind of wish I did satin though because the flatter the black is, the lighter it will look. (gloss black would be the darkest black, then satin, then flat) . I didnt mask anything off, just took everything apart and sprayed the bastards. Apparently I sealed the lights properly as well because I havnt had any water in the light issues.

SOOOO badass, doin the same thing to my 07 within the next couple of weeks, their goin color matched
Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 PM
sk26dett

quick question, does the whole wiring harness have to come off the light or just the bulbs? I cant get the wires that attach to the headlights out of the housing. Do the wires stay on when i bake it? if so how do i get it out!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:50 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by sk26dett
quick question, does the whole wiring harness have to come off the light or just the bulbs? I cant get the wires that attach to the headlights out of the housing. Do the wires stay on when i bake it? if so how do i get it out!
Did you remove your ballast?

~Robert
Old 12-25-2007, 11:54 PM
sk26dett

Well this pair i'm working with is non hid, I'm only using the outer lens from these to swap with my stock lenses because my 03 lenses have stress cracks that look horrible. But yea, i cant get the wire out because the bottom end has the rubber grommet on it and the other end has the plugs for the high and low bean headlights, do i leave these wires on when i bake it or do they come out somehow?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
cpost

+1 for brandonanix, your cars now my background. I did this with my Murano when I had it...it looked so much sexier, I'm gonna do this, this week maybe. I'm just scared to take the bumper off and **** **** up. :X

Quick Reply: DIY: Black Housing