Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Will Akebono's clear my XXR's 530's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
LilGBlood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Will Akebono's clear my XXR's 530's?

I have a couple questions. I'm not very good with this kind of stuff;offsets and what not.

I have XXR 530 18x9.75 all around, I believe +20. I want to get the Akebono BBK. I do a lot of spirited driving and I have read that it's not worth it for extra braking force, but for brake fade. My OEM non-brembos fade very quickly, new pads and fluids and all.

Would this Akebono BBK clear?
If not, will I need spacers, or will it just not fit an 18"?
What rotors should I look into? (Please, I'm on a budget and cannot afford incredibly expensive rotors)
Is the Motul fluid the best I could get for the price?
Hawk HPS pads? Or some others?

I know, there might be topics, please don't flame me. I'm just looking for some help guys. Thanks so much in advance.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Akebonos and there is one thing I can tell you. They are huge. Depending on the wheel design, they may or may not. Best bet is if you get someone with same wheels that has them. They clear MOST 18s but not ALL. The +20 offsets probably will help clear. Motul is popular among members here so I went with that but I am sure there are other equally good ones out there. I went with Hawk HPS to help minimize brake dust and indeed it does help
Here is a link to XXR wheels. You might find one that has same wheels with Akebonos
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ls-thread.html

Last edited by beezee; 01-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
LilGBlood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beezee
I have the Akebonos and there is one thing I can tell you. They are huge. Depending on the wheel design, they may or may not. Best bet is if you get someone with same wheels that has them. They clear MOST 18s but not ALL. The +20 offsets probably will help clear. Motul is popular among members here so I went with that but I am sure there are other equally good ones out there. I went with Hawk HPS to help minimize brake dust and indeed it does help
Thanks for the answer man! Maybe someone else that has these can chime in? I think they will clear, because these rims are pretty wide and closer to a negative offset, which pushes the wheel away from the hub, correct? Maybe I just don't understand.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes. the smaller the offsets the better the chance that they clear. I edited my post with a link that might help. In the worse situation you can use spacers but it is a good idea to buy the right offset wheel to avoid spacers if you can
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The easiest way is to print out this Akebono brake template from Concept Z and see if your wheels are touching the paper caliper

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/i...nttemplate.pdf

If they are; you either might be able to run a small spacer or you will have to change your wheels to something that has better clearance.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Got my Akebono set into my mechanic's shop this P.M. so I ran over and we opened the boxes up; sorry no pics, but it's a beautiful kit and the car goes in Mon. A.M.! Got the 40th Ann. red calipers, slotted/drilled Centric rotors, CZP SS lines, Motul fluid, silver billet brackets, Centric posi-quiet pads. Those front calipers are "big" like everyone says, but I have done the template test on a front RPF1 of mine and that cleared on the 18" wheel.

I'll get some good pics of it all soon.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Beezee has said, it will clear most 18s but some won't. I had problems with my 18x10+26, it cleared the spokes easily but not the barrel

Mainly depends on the wheel design itself
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

^ thanks taryon. Yeah Z1 had emailed me that anything less than +25 offset should clear on the rpf1's; I'm +15 all 4 (18"), but I guess that I'm nervous now that I've bought the kit and about to have the install! Especially when I held that "big" front caliper today haha! I've done all of the checking I think I can and it all sounds good, but you know!

* when I unpacked the first front caliper today my jaw about dropped when I saw how big it looked; I was thinking "is this going to fit"? (I know, that's what "she" said hehe).

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlue
* when I unpacked the first front caliper today my jaw about dropped when I saw how big it looked; I was thinking "is this going to fit"? (I know, that's what "she" said hehe).
I was like that as well when I first saw them in the box
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever buy the brakes? And did they clear the wheels or no