[Sanity check] Creaking from the front

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Rev_Night

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default [Sanity check] Creaking from the front

Edited based on user feedback

For the massive front creaking:
This was caused by grease I was using for the bushings. I was using silicone grease, yes, but the liquid spray kind. I should have been using a semi-solid, thick type of grease that wouldnt run.
Recommended would be Marine Grease sold in home depot

For the little front squeaks:
This is still an unknown. I took off the front sway bar today and used the marine grease.

-I applied plumbers lubricating thread tape on the bar where the bushing goes
-I greased the inside and outside of the bushing
-I greased the inside and outside of the first bracket, and its 3 bolts/1 nut
-I greased the inside and outside of the second bracket, and its 1 bolt
-With PB Blaster, I sprayed the bushings of the LCA.

I am still hearing squeaks!!! Do my stock sway bar bushings need replacing? If so what brand?

$13 for Energy Suspension bushings from Z1? Too cheap to not try..
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=5128

Last edited by Rev_Night; 06-21-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grease the bushings?

If you really want to buy adjustable upper arms the kinetix are just fine. If you want to save your money and just eliminate the noise you could just grease the mounting bushings.

Last edited by AllstarE4; 05-13-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

kinetix, spc.... either are good, they could also be your endlinks, but like allstar said greasing bushings may help... try sway bars ones first
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Rev_Night

ok, I edited my original post to explain what ive already done. Now for your replies, you are talking about the bushings of the UCA? The top right piece? Can I grease them without removing the part?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...673&page=popup
Old 05-13-2014, 05:27 PM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

are you on stock LCA and Compression rod bushings??
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Rev_Night

yes, the bushings are all stock as well. The only bushings that are new are for the swaybars.

I'm also hearing a squeaking in the right. So I may just replace the squeaks anyway, but since the car is already going to be apart, may as well replace the UCA. Unless it can take the 1 inch drop?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe the OEM upper arm has any grease zerk fittings on them so you'd have to remove the arms to grease. Travlee brings up a good point in also greasing your sway bar bushings. Hit those points and see how it helps. It sounds like you'd fix your problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Rev_Night

swaybar bushings have already been regreased, still creaks
Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Post pics of the LCA inboard mounts and what sway bar settings you are on.

The UCA hardly fails FYI.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Rev_Night

I'll get a pic of the LCA Inboard mount when I get home tonight. As for sway bar setings, the front bar is a few years old, so it only has 3 holes and not 4 (hotchkis). I have it on the softest setting, the hole closest to the end of the bar. Curious, I see that the instructions recommend to put it on the stiffest (hole farthest from the end of the bar). Wouldnt this make my setup creak more?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Rev_Night

ok so you all were def correct: the creak has something to do with my swaybar. I was planning on testing this by removing the sway bar entirely, and when I got under the car, i noticed that it was set to the 3rd (133%) hole and not the 4th (80%). Because it was about to rain, I didnt have time to change the hole. I did have time to remove the sway links so the bar isnt attached to the suspension at all (still attached to car via bolts tho). I drove around the neighborhood, over bumps, and boom, no creaking at all. very very nice.

next problem: the creaks from the passenger side. I'll take pics of the various bushings, but i hope it isnt LCA, cuz those suspension parts are a ***** to remove
Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

woo hoo..... glad you found it
Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I hate my damn Jotchkis front bar. No matter what I try for lube on the busings, the thing is far too noisy for me to tolerate. Makes my car sound like a 50-year old pickup truck. I've also tried replacing the bushings with brand new ones from Hotchkis, and both Powergrid and the OEM end links. Right now I've got the old OEM bar installed on the front (the rear Hotchkis bar with Powerid end links is perfectly silent) and I can drive in peace. My guess is there is some sort of resonance between all the pieces of the system, which is why it's hard to get rid of. Thinking about getting a set of S-Tune bars, since they use OEM-type rubber chassis bushings.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Rev_Night

If it creaks at 80%, are there bushings that would work for the hotchkis front?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
If it creaks at 80%, are there bushings that would work for the hotchkis front?

I'd like to find some rubber bushings, rather than urethane, to see if that works, but I haven't had time to do any searching. I wonder if the rubber bushings from the S-Tune bars would work? Anyone know the diameter of that front bar? And, I wonder if Nissan even sells them separately?

Bushings of this type are almost generic, so maybe one day I'll take one of the Hotchkis bushings into a NAPA store and see if the guy at the counter can look through their books and find something similar.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Rev_Night

So, for *****, I made my sway bar to be the stiffest setting at 120%. It creaks. I made the settings to be at the softest at 20%, it creaks. But when the endlinks aren't attached, there are no creaks. If others dont have this issue, then what is the problem? The bushings are greased with silicone, the end links are aftermarket adjustable Whiteline Heavy Duty. Everything is tightened to torque.

BTW, tool of the mother ****ing day is this Ratchet Wrench for $20 at home depot. Its 8 different MM sizes, and it makes taking off that end link a breeze since most sockets are too big to fit for the upper nut.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

So, for *****, I made my sway bar to be the stiffest setting at 120%. It creaks. I made the settings to be at the softest at 20%, it creaks. But when the endlinks aren't attached, there are no creaks. If others dont have this issue, then what is the problem? The bushings are greased with silicone, the end links are aftermarket adjustable Whiteline Heavy Duty. Everything is tightened to torque.

BTW, tool of the mother ****ing day is this Ratchet Wrench for $20 at home depot. Its 8 different MM sizes, and it makes taking off that end link a breeze since most sockets are too big to fit for the upper nut.
how are you greasing them, are you removing them to do it, it's the only way unless you drilled in a Zerk like I did
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
dcains

Those urethane busings have got to go. I've tried several different types of grease, but the best has been marine wheel bearing grease. Still noisy, though - like a bow on violin strings. Maybe the bushings are just too tight?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Rev_Night

Originally Posted by terrasmak
how are you greasing them, are you removing them to do it, it's the only way unless you drilled in a Zerk like I did
I remove the 4 bolts per side attaching the bushings, and i spray the inside and outs with this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/imag...mart-straw.jpg

should I use a less viscous material?

Originally Posted by dcains
Those urethane busings have got to go. I've tried several different types of grease, but the best has been marine wheel bearing grease. Still noisy, though - like a bow on violin strings. Maybe the bushings are just too tight?
normally i would agree, but why would the manufacture supplied bushings creak from day 1?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 PM
dcains

I

normally i would agree, but why would the manufacture supplied bushings creak from day 1?
No clue. I've got a spare set of new bushings. I'm going to try and open them up a bit.

Quick Reply: [Sanity check] Creaking from the front